Interest Groups
Industrial Archaeology
Industrial Archaeology ~ Features
 

Expand All | Collapse All

Barton on Humber's Industrial History: Bibliography
Books and other sources on the industrial heritage of the town

The area on the south bank of the River Humber in which Barton-on-Humber sits was occupied from the earliest times. The Humber was a major supply route to York during the Roman occupation. By the time of Domesday there was a church, two mills, a market and a ferry.

Barton developed around what is now Barton Haven. In medieval times Barton was a major port particularly in the Baltic trade. There was shipbuilding on Barton Haven into the twentieth century.

On either side of the Haven the Humber bank clays are ideal for brick and tile making. At the peak at the end of the nineteenth century there were thirteen brickyards in Barton parish. Today there is only one.

Alongside the Haven was Hall’s Barton Ropery, whose origin can be traced to the late eighteenth century. Ropes continued to be made here until 1988. Today the building has several new uses, including a rope making museum, and boasts the longest pantiled roof in the country.

Overlooking the Haven is the Humber Bridge, opened in 1981, which at the time of its construction was the longest single span bridge in the world.

The hills surrounding the town are Cretaceous chalk. These are still quarried for the cement works at South Ferriby, three miles to the west.

Surviving in the centre of Barton is the Old Mill which was built to manufacture whiting. It lost its sails in 1868 and by the 1980s was derelict. It was restored in 1990 and now is a pub and restaurant with some of the mill machinery still to be seen in the tower.

Blyth's tile works, Barton
Blyth's Tile Works 
 
Humber Bridge from Barton
Humber Bridge
 

 

Books and other Sources

  • Bryant, Geoffrey, The Early History of Barton of Humber, Barton-on-Humber: Workers Education Association, 1981
  • Bryant, Geoffrey F. and Land, Nigel, D., Bricks, Tiles and Bicycles in Barton before 1900, Barton-on-Humber: Workers Education Association, 2007
  • Clapson, Rodney, Barton and the River Humber 1086-1900
    Barton-on-Humber: Workers Education Association, 2005
  • Fenton, Will, Ropeworks: A brief history of Hall’s Barton Ropery, Barton-on-Humber: Fathom Press, 2007
  • Holland, John and Valerie, Images of England: Barton-upon-Humber, Stroud: Tempus Publishing, 1999
  • Jager, David, Surviving Windmills of Lincolnshire into the 21st Century, Heckington: Heritage Lincolnshire, 2007
  • Wright, Neil, Lincolnshire Towns and Industry 1700-1914, Lincoln: History of Lincolnshire Committee, 1982
  • Wright, Neil, ed., Lincolnshire’s Industrial Heritage, Lincoln: SLHA, 2004

    Ken Hollamby, 2009

Horncastle's Industrial History: Bibliography
Books and other sources on the industrial heritage of the town

Horncastle is a small market town in the centre of the county, close to the southern edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds.
Population: 1801 - 2015; 1851 - 4921; 1901 - 4038.

Between 1802 and 1889 Horncastle was served by a canal which followed the line of the River Bain southwards through Tattershall to the river Witham.  Stretches of the rivers Bain and Waring in the town were developed as basins for the canal and were lined with warehouses and a range of small industries.

A railway branch line starting at Kirkstead (later re-named Woodhall Junction) on the GNR Lincoln to Boston loop line ran through Woodhall Spa and terminated at Horncastle.  This single line opened in 1855, was closed to passenger traffic in 1954 and finally closed in 1971.

Horncastle’s industries were mainly related to the processing of agricultural produce.  In the nineteenth century there were four windmills and one watermill in the town. Tanning and leather working developed from an early date and became a major industry, to some extent stimulated by the local trading in horses which rose to a peak each year in the famous August horse fair.

Other industries over the 19th and 20th centuries include iron founding and machine making, brick making, seedsmen/nurserymen, paper packaging, printing and sportswear manufacture.

Harrison's warehouse at Horncastle railway station
Grain warehouse, railway station
 
 
Iron foundry in Foundry Street, Horncastle
Iron foundry, Foundry Street

 

Books and other Sources

  • Aikman, A. E., Horncastle’s Old Theatre, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology (LHA) 12 (1977)  
  • Clarke, J. N.,The Horncastle and Tattershall Canal, Oakwood Press, 1990  
  • Clarke, J. N., Horncastle Horse Fairs, Lincolnshire Past & Present 55 (2004) 
  • Cussons, E., The Miller of Horncastle, Lincolnshire Life, 1982
  • Hunt, W.M., Horncastle Navigation Engineers, 1792-94, Journal of the Railway and Canal Historical Society (RCHS), March 1979
  • Hunt, W. M., The Lincoln High Bridge Scheme, RCHS Journal, Nov 1991
  • Jones, P., The Ever Confusing Horncastle Canal, RCHS Journal July 2003
  • Lester, C. J. and Redmore, K. Wheelwright’s Tyre Oven, LHA 45 (2010) 
  • Ludlam, A. J. The Horncastle and Woodhall Spa Railway, Oakwood Press, 1986 
  • Robinson, D. N., The Book of Horncastle and Woodhall Spa, Barracuda Books, 1983 
  • Robinson, D.N., Double Century: The Story of William Crowder & Sons, Nurserymen, Horncastle 1998 
  • Wilson, C. M. and Redmore, K. Whitehaven Farm, Horncastle, LHA 38 (2003)

    Ken Redmore, 2012 

Louth's Industrial History: Bibliography
Books and other sources on the industrial heritage of the town

LOUTH, one of the larger market towns in the county, is on the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds and ten miles from the coast.
Population: 1801 - 4326; 1851 – 10,467; 1901 – 9518; 2001 – 15,930.

In the late eighteenth century the town was well served by turnpike roads in all directions: to Boston via Spilsby (opened in 1765, the modern A16), Gainsborough via Market Rasen (1765, A631), Horncastle (1770, A153), Saltfleet (1779, B1200), Lincoln via Wragby (1780, A157) and Grimsby (1803, A16).

The Louth Navigation, following the river Lud from the town to Tetney Haven, opened in 1770 and ceased to operate in 1924.  It had 8 locks and was used by keels and sloops trading principally with Hull, Grimsby and other east coast ports. 

The East Lincolnshire Railway opened in 1848 linking Grimsby via Louth to Boston, Peterborough and Kings Cross.  The line closed, post-Beeching, in 1970 except for a freight link between Louth and Grimsby which operated for a further 10 years.  The Mablethorpe loop line (1877-1970) ran east from the town and re-joined the ELR at Willoughby.  The line through the Wolds to Bardney opened in 1876 and closed in 1951 (passengers) and 1956 (freight).

The principal industries of the town have been linked to the processing of agricultural produce: milling (both water- and windmills), malting and brewing; tanning and leather making.  Woollen cloth was made from early medieval times and there was a substantial factory making flat weave carpets in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.  One of the watermills was the site of paper making from c1790-1840.

Burning lime and firing bricks were important activities at one time.  As with other Lincolnshire towns Louth had several iron founders and implement makers throughout the Victorian period and into the twentieth century; there was also an important millwright.  Twentieth century industries include polythene sheet extrusion and fabrication.

Papermill, Louth

 

Books and other Sources

  • Betteridge, S J, The Maltings, Northgate, Louth, in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology 20 (1985)
  • Goode, C T, The Railways of North Lincolnshire, the author, 1985
  • Herbert, W B & Ludlam, A J, The Louth to Bardney Branch, Oakwood Press, 1984
  • Ludlam, A J, The Louth, Mablethorpe and Willoughby Loop, Oakwood Press, 1987
  • Ludlam, A J, The East Lincolnshire Railway, Oakwood Press, 1991
  • Merriman, T E, The Louth, Mablethorpe & Sutton Building Society, in Lincolnshire Past& Present 49 (2002)
  • Page, C J, Beet Root Distillery in Louth, Lincolnshire Past & Present 76 (2009)
  • Robinson, D N, The Book of Louth, Barracuda Books, 1979
  • Robinson, D N, Adam Eve and Louth Carpets, Louth Naturalists’, Antiquarian and Literary Society, 2010
  • Sizer, S M, Louth Navigation: A History (1756-1926), Louth Navigation Trust, 1999
  • Sizer, S M et al, Louth Industrial Trail, Louth Teachers’ Centre, 1977
  • Waddington, H S, Louth Navigation, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology 21 (1986)

 

Scunthorpe's Industrial History: Bibliography
Books and other sources on the industrial heritage of the town

Like Arnold Bennett’s Stoke, modern Scunthorpe comprises five villages: Ashby, Brumby, Crosby, Frodingham and Scunthorpe. Scunthorpe, or Skuma’s Thorpe, was once a secondary settlement of the Parish of Frodingham.

In 1851 the total population of the five agricultural settlements was 1,245 and there was little to choose between them. They were geologically fortunate, for they developed over the Jurassic Frodingham ironstone.

The first mention of iron ore was in 1859 by the landowner Charles Winn. His son Roland recognised the economic importance of the ore and started mining it in 1860.

Until the first iron works in Scunthorpe was fired in 1864 the ore was shipped to Yorkshire for smelting. In the succeeding century the industry developed and adapted as steel technology progressed and today it is a major processing site for Corus the Anglo-Dutch steel company.

As new plants were built the old ones were demolished but the Anchor Works built in the 1970s can be seen from the public road, and rails tours of the complex can be booked.

A survivor from the early days is Roland Winn’s planned settlement built in 1865-1870 at New Frodingham; although his workers preferred Scunthorpe, half a mile to the north.

Sources

  • Armstrong, M. Elizabeth, An Industrial Island: A History of Scunthorpe, Scunthorpe: Scunthorpe Museum and Art Gallery, 1981 
  • Cameron, Kenneth, A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names, Nottingham: English Place-Name Society, 1998 
  • Creed, Rupert and Coult, Averal, Steeltown, Beverley: Hutton Press, 1990 
  • Dudley, Harold E., Village Days, Scunthorpe: Scunthorpe Museum and Art Gallery (Revised Edition. 1973) 
  • Holm, Stuart, The Heavens Reflect Our Labours, Scunthorpe: Scunthorpe Museum and Art Gallery, 1974 
  • Knell, Simon J., The Natural History of the Frodingham Ironstone,
    Scunthorpe: Scunthorpe Museum and Art Gallery, 1988 
  • Walshaw, G.R. and Behrendt, C.A.J., The History of Appleby-Frodingham, Scunthorpe: Appleby-Frodingham Steel Co., 1950  
  • Wright, Neil, ed., Lincolnshire’s Industrial Heritage – A Guide
    Lincoln: SLHA, 2004
     
Steel works, Scunthorpe
Ken Hollamby, 2009 

 

 

Ironstone Mines and Quarries in Lincolnshire: Bibliography
Books and other sources on ironstone mining in Lincolnshire

The mineral most extensively mined in Lincolnshire was ironstone. It was also the only mineral for which underground mining took place.

Deposits of iron ore were worked following the line of the Lincoln Edge from West Halton to Scunthorpe in the north; from Lincoln to Barkston; and on to Harlaxton and Denton to the west of Grantham. To the south of Grantham the ore was found in the Colsterworth and South Witham area. In addition, there were mines on the western scarp of the Lincolnshire Wolds at Claxby and Nettleton.

Most working was by opencast methods but there were no fewer than sixteen locations where the ironstone was mined underground. Opencast quarrying first started in Scunthorpe in 1860 and the first underground mine, at Claxby on the Wolds, went into production in 1868. The last mine closed in 1981, so mining was part of the County’s history for 121 years.

Books and other Sources

  • Ford, W. J., Lincolnshire Ironstone, Photographs (of Nettleton), Railway Bylines, Vol 5, Issue 9, August 2000
  • ROBINSON, D. N., Nettleton Iron Mine, Lincolnshire Life, April 1971
  • SQUIRES, Stewart, The Underground Mines of Lincolnshire, p203 - 210, in All Things Lincolnshire, Society for Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, 2007
  • SQUIRES, Stewart and RUSSELL, Rex, Claxby Ironstone Mine, Lincolnshire, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, Vol 34,1999
  • SQUIRES, Stewart, Claxby Ironstone Mine, Lincolnshire, Industrial Archaeology Notes, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, Vol 38, 2003
  • SQUIRES, Stewart, The Lincoln to Grantham Line via Honington, Oakwood Press, 1996
  • SQUIRES, Stewart, Visit to Nettleton Mines, Lincolnshire Past and Present, No 23, Spring 1996
  • SQUIRES, Stewart, Nettleton Mines, pp67-68, in 'The Lincolnshire Wolds', Editor David Robinson, Lincolnshire County Council, 2009
  • SQUIRES, Stewart, The Greetwell Ironstone Mines, 'Uphill Lincoln II', Survey of Lincoln, November 2010
  • SQUIRES, Stewart, The Greetwell Ironstone Mines, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, Vol 45, 2000
  • TONKS, Eric, The Ironstone Quarries of the Midlands, History, Operation and Railways, Part VIII, South Lincolnshire, 1991, and Part IX, Leicestershire, 1992, Amadeus Press
  • UPTON, M J G, The Appleby Ironstone Mine, Lincolnshire Industrial Archaeology, Vol 6, No 4, 1971
  • WRIGHT, Neil, Lincolnshire Towns and Industry, 1700 to 1914, History of Lincolnshire Committee, SLHA, Volume XI, 1982

Stewart Squires, 2012

Bricks and Tiles in Lincolnshire: Bibliography
Books and other sources on bricks and tiles in Lincolnshire

Bricks imported from Hull were used for the late fourteenth century gatehouse at Thornton Abbey and the Gainsborough Old Hall (mid-fifteenth century).  However, Tattershall Castle (1440s), Wainfleet Magdalen School (1484) and Bardney St Lawrence chancel (1430s) were built of locally made bricks. In the succeeding centuries brick – usually local – was often the choice for houses of both aristocracy and gentry.

As in other lowland counties with no suitable local stone, brick making gradually became widespread across the north and east of the Lincolnshire, i.e. excluding much of the limestone belt to the west. Larger brickworks were established in or close to the major population centres.  The highest concentration of sites was on the Humber bank around Barton where clay was abundant and, importantly, both the import of fuel and export of finished bricks and tiles were relatively easy.  (Pantiles had first been made here in the late eighteenth century.)

By the mid-nineteenth century bricks were almost invariably made in permanent kilns rather than clamps, and a variation of the familiar Scotch kiln with arched, enclosed roof became common in east Lincolnshire, though it remained rare elsewhere in the UK.  With a few notable exceptions, Lincolnshire bricks are a dark-red in colour.

One tilery continues to operate (2013) at Barton on Humber and the owner is also developing a visitor centre at the former Blyth’s Tilery immediately to the west of the Humber Bridge.  The remains of enclosed Scotch kilns can be seen at Baumber, Farlesthorpe, Stixwould and Sutton on Sea.  A larger down-draught brick kiln of the Staffordshire type survives at East Halton near Immingham.

Brick kiln at Sutton on Sea

Brick kiln at Sutton on Sea

Blyth's Tilery, Barton on Humber

Hack (drying shed), Blyth's Tilery, Barton on Humber

 

Books and Other Sources

  • Baines, W, Brick Making: A Lincolnshire Industry, unpublished pamphlet, UP5883, Lincoln Central Library
  • Birch, Neville, Little Bytham Brick Works, Lincolnshire Past & Present 20 (1995)
  • Booth, Adrian, William Blyth’s Tileries, Railway Bylines, April-May 1998
  • Bryant, G F & Land, N D, Bricks, Tiles and Bicycles in Barton before 1900, Barton WEA, 2007
  • Burnett, M L, A Lincolnshire Brickmaker [Parker of Friskney], Lincolnshire Life, Aug 1970, pp30-31
  • Carey, Raymond, The River and John Frank, and Reads Island, The River and John Frank Enterprise, c1997
  • Davies, A, Baumber Brick Kiln, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology 21 (1986)
  • Day, Nicholas J, Bricks and Sails, saga of boats and bricks, Great Grimsby Borough Councils Museums and Heritage Services, 1995
  • Hammond, M D P, Brick Kilns: An Illustrated Survey [includes kiln at Sutton on Sea], Industrial Archaeology Review, Volume 1 No. 2 (1977)
  • Holm, S A, Brick and Tile Making in South Humberside, the author, 1976
  • Leach, T R, Dunholme Bricks, unpublished pamphlet, 1967
  • Neave, David, Pantiles: Their Early Use and Manufacture in the Humber Region in Tyszka et al (Eds), Land, People and Landscapes, Lincolnshire CC, 1991
  • Redmore, K, Some Brick Kilns and Brick Makers of East Lincolnshire in Jean Howard J & Start D, (Eds), All Things Lincolnshire, SLHA, 2007
  • Redmore, K, Brick Making in the West End of Lincoln, in Walker, A, (Ed) Lincoln’s West End, Survey of Lincoln, 2008
  • Robinson, D N, Lincolnshire Bricks: History and Gazetteer, Heritage Lincolnshire, 1999
  • Robinson, D N, Brick and Tile Making [Lincolnshire sites] in Bennett & Bennett, An Historical Atlas of Lincolnshire, University of Hull, 1993
  • Russell, R, The Growth of the Brick & Tile Industry in Lincolnshire [unpublished manuscript], c1993
  • Smith, T P, Hussey Tower, Boston: a Late Medieval Tower House of Brick, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology 14 (1979)
  • Squires, Stewart, Cross O Cliff Hill Brickworks, Industrial Archaeology Note, SLHA Journal, Vol 27, 1992
  • Trueman, A E, The Lias Brickyards of South-West Lincolnshire, Lincolnshire Naturalists' Union, 1920
  • Wales, D & White, A, Magdalen College School, Wainfleet, Lincolnshire CC, 1981
  • White, A, Early Brick Buildings in Lincolnshire: A Guide, Lincolnshire Museums: City & County Museum, 1982
  • Wilson, C M, Lincoln Brick Company Works, Waddington, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology 12 (1977)

Ken Redmore, 2013

Railways in Lincolnshire: Bibliography
Books and other sources on railways in Lincolnshire

The first railway line in the County reached Lincoln, from Nottingham via Newark, in 1846. Within three years there were no less than 200 miles of line; by 1877 487 miles, 75% of the subsequent total, had been built. It was 1913 when the last part of the public network was completed, the route through Coningsby, Tumby Woodside, New Bolingbroke, Stickney and Midville. All that was built afterwards were the military lines to RAF Cranwell and to the army camp at Belton Park, both during the First World War, plus those to serve the needs of ironstone mining, mainly to the south and west of Grantham.

At the height of the railway age very few Lincolnshire villages were more than five miles from a station. The railway opened up tremendous opportunities – for employment, cheap travel and the transport of essential goods.

Railway closures are usually attributed to Dr Beeching and his 1963 report. In fact the rundown had started long before then. Passenger services were discontinued between Scunthorpe and Whitton in 1925, between Sleaford and Bourne in 1930 and on the Axholme Joint Railway in 1933. 1939 saw the closure of the branch to Spilsby and passengers could no longer travel between Bardney and Louth after 1951. The most significant national closure was that of the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway, which had its western end in Lincolnshire, in 1959.

As street tramways were the urban equivalent of the railway this reading list also includes those at Lincoln, Grimsby and Cleethorpes.

Lincoln St Mark's Station

St Mark's Station, Lincoln
The earliest station in the county

Brocklesby Station

Brocklesby Station

 

Books and other sources

 

Abbreviations: LHA = Lincolnshire History and Archaeology (SLHA journal); LP&P = Lincolnshire Past & Present (SLHA Magazine); LIA = Lincolnshire Industrial Archaeology (forerunner of LHA, 1966-1973)

 

A. Lincolnshire lines, routes and locations

  • Back, Michael, Branch Lines Around Spalding, M&GN Saxby to Long Sutton, Middleton Press, 2009
  • Back, Michael, Country Railway Routes, Peterborough to King’s Lynn, Part of the M&GN, Middleton Press, 2008
  • Beckwith, Ian, The History of Transport and Travel in Gainsborough, Gainsborough Urban District Council, 1971
  • Betteridge, Stephen J, Lincoln, St Marks StationLHA Volume 20, 1985
  • Birch, Neville, Lincoln celebrates 150 years of Railways, in LP&P No 25, Autumn 1996
  • Booth, A J, Peat Railways of Thorne and Hatfield Moors, Industrial Railway Society, 1998
  • Brown, Gordon H, Firsby, Portrait of a Country Junction, Published by the author, 1994
  • Brown, Guy F, Leo’s World, Leo Publishing, 2005. (stationmaster at Stickney and at Ulceby)
  • Chambers, J I, St Marks Station, Lincoln: an architectural commentLIA Volume VII, Number 1, 1972
  • Cossey, F, Cowbit StationLIA Volume III, Number 1, p9, 1968
  • Cossey, Frank, Lincoln Central Station, LIA Volume II, Number 1, p3, January 1967
  • Cossey, Frank, Grantham and Railways, BG Publications, 1983
  • Dow, George, Alford and Sutton Tramway, The Author, 1984
  • Franks, D L, The Stamford and Essendine Railway, Turntable Enterprises, 1971
  • Goode, C T, The Great Northern & Great Eastern Joint Railway (March to Doncaster), The Author, 1989
  • Henshaw, Alfred, The Great Northern Railway in the East Midlands, Nottingham – Grantham, Bottesford – Newark, Melton Mowbray, The Leicester Line and Ironstone Branches, RCTS, 2003
  • Jepsom, D M, Belton Park Military RailwayLIA Volume IV, Number 1, p10, January 1969
  • Judge, CW, The Axholme Joint Railway including The Goole & Marshland Light Railway and the Isle of Axholme Light Railway, Oakwood Press, 1994
  • Knapp, Malcolm, Grantham; Dysart Road Railway Bridge, LHA Volume 15, 1980
  • Longbone, Bryan, Steam and Steel, An Illustrated History of Scunthorpe’s Railways, Irwell Press, 1996
  • Ludlam, A J and Herbert, W B, The Louth to Bardney Branch, Oakwood Press, Second Edition, 1987
  • Ludlam, A J, Railways to New Holland and the Humber Ferries, Oakwood Press, 1996
  • Ludlam, A J, Railways to Skegness including Kirkstead to Little Steeping, Oakwood Press, 1997
  • Ludlam, A J, The East Lincolnshire Railway, Oakwood Press, 1991
  • Ludlam, A J, The Horncastle and Woodhall Junction Railway, Oakwood Press, 1986
  • Ludlam, A J, The Lincolnshire Loop Line and the River Witham, Oakwood Press, 1995
  • Ludlam, A J, The Louth, Mablethorpe and Willoughby Loop, Oakwood Press, 1987
  • Ludlam, A J, The RAF Cranwell Railway, Oakwood Press, 1988
  • Ludlam, A J, The Spilsby to Firsby Railway, Oakwood Press, 1985
  • Page, C J, On the Railway between Lincoln and SaxilbyLIA Volume V, Number 1, p10, January 1970
  • Pearson, R E, and Ruddock, J G, Lord Willoughby’s Railway, The Edenham Branch, Willoughby Memorial Trust, 1986
  • Raines, David, Railway Footbridges, South Common, Lincoln, LHA Volume 39, 2004
  • Raines, David, Wragby Station Building, LHA Volume 41, 2006
  • Rhodes, John, Bourne to Saxby, KMS Books, 1989
  • Rhodes, John, Bourne to Essendine, KMS Books, 1986
  • Rhodes, John, Great Northern Branch Lines to Stamford, KMS Books, 1988
  • Rhodes, John, The Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway, Ian Allan Ltd, 1982
  • Ruddock, J G and Pearson, R E, The Railway History of Lincoln, J Ruddock and Partners, 1974
  • Squires, Stewart and Hollamby, Ken, Building a Railway, Bourne to Saxby, Lincoln Record Society and SLHA, 2009
  • Squires, Stewart E, The Lincoln to Grantham Line via Honington, Oakwood Press, 1996
  • Squires, Stewart E, A Railway Remembered, (M&GN), in Lincolnshire Life, December 1989
  • Sturman, Christopher, Laying the Foundation Stone of Louth Railway Station, LP&P No 21, Autumn 1995
  • Turland, Michael, Railway Building in 1881, LP&P No 64, Summer 2006
  • Vanns, Michael A, The Railways of Newark on Trent, Oakwood Press, 1999
  • Waite, R L, Firsby Junction, signals, LIA Volume IV, Number 4, p61, November 1969
  • Walker, Colin, Trails of Steam, Volume 6 – Trails through Grantham, Oxford Publishing Co, 1979. (photographs)
  • Walker, Stephen, Firsby to Wainfleet & Skegness, KMS Books, 1987
  • Walker, Stephen, The New Line, Kirkstead to Little Steeping including Lincoln to Skegness, KMS Books, 1985
  • Ward, Brian, A History of Market Rasen Railway Station, Rase Heritage Society and the Market Rasen Station Adoption Group. 2012
  • Wright, N R, East Lincolnshire Railway; Crossing Keepers’ Cottages, LHA Volume 13, 1978
  • Wright, Neil, Boston Locomotive Depot, LIA Volume III, Number 4, p1, 1968
  • Wright, Neil and Birch, Maureen, Boston Tour, LIA Volume II, Number 2, p4, April 1967
  • Wright, Neil R, The Railways of Boston, their origins and development, History of Boston Series Number 4, 1971

B. Lincolnshire countywide and areas of the County

  • Anderson, Paul, Railways of Lincolnshire, Irwell Press, 1992
  • Anderson, Paul, Lincolnshire Railway Memories, Irwell Press, 2007
  • Ashforth, Philip J, Bendall, Ian, Plant, Ken, Industrial Railways & Locomotives of Lincolnshire and Rutland, Industrial Railway Society, 2010
  • Bates, Chris, and Bairstow, Martin, Railways in North Lincolnshire, Martin Bairstow, 2005
  • Bennett, Stewart and Bennett Nicholas, An Historical Atlas of Lincolnshire, University of Hull Press, 1993, Railways and Docks, pp 112/3
  • Garraway Allan, Garraway Father and Son, Middleton Press, 1985. (Includes time spent working in Lincolnshire)
  • Garrod, Trevor, Lincolnshire by Rail, Railway Development Society, Lincolnshire Branch, 1985
  • Goode, C T, The Railways of North Lincolnshire, The Author, 1985
  • Griffiths, Roger and Hooper, John, Great Northern Railway Engine Sheds, Volume 1, Southern Area, Irwell Press, 2001. (Includes Grantham, Stamford, Holbeach, Bourne and Spalding)
  • Griffiths, Roger and Hooper, John, Great Northern Railway Engine Sheds, Volume 2, The Lincolnshire Loop, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, Irwell Press, 1996. (Includes Boston, Boston Sleeper Depot, Gainsborough, Horncastle, Lincoln, Louth, Mablethorpe Sleaford, Spilsby and Wainfleet)
  • Hill, Roger, and Vessey, Carey, British Railways Past and Present, 27, Lincolnshire, Past and Present Publishing, 1995
  • Hurst, Geoffrey, Great Central East of Sheffield, Volume 1, Milepost Publications 1989
  • King, P K and Hewins, D R, The Railways Around Grimsby, Cleethorpes, Immingham and North East Lincolnshire, Foxline Publishing, 1988
  • Padley, Chris, Laying Down the Lines, pp59-66 in Lincolnshire on the Move, Editors Jean Howard and Chris Lester, SLHA, 2005
  • Squires, Stewart E, The Lincolnshire Potato Railways, Oakwood Press, 2005 Second Edition
  • Squires, Stewart, Lincolnshire Railways, Lincolnshire Books, 1998
  • Squires, Stewart E, The Lost Railways of Lincolnshire, Castlemead Publications, 1988
  • Stennett, Alan, Lost Railways of Lincolnshire, Countryside Books, 2007
  • Tonks, Eric, The Ironstone Quarries of the Midlands, History, Operation and Railways, Part VIII, South Lincolnshire, Runpast Publishing, 1991
  • Walker, Stephen, Great Northern Branch Lines in Lincolnshire, KMS Books, 1984

C. Regional and other books with Lincolnshire content

  • Anderson, P Howard, Forgotten Railways, The East Midlands, David and Charles, 1973
  • Anderson, P. Howard, Regional Railway Handbooks No 1, The East Midlands, David and Charles, 1986
  • Balfour, G, The Armoured Train, its development and usage, Batsford, 1981
  • Bolger, Paul, BR Steam Motive Power Depots Eastern Region, Book Law Publications, 2009
  • Bradshaw’s July 1922 Railway Guide, New Edition, Guild Publishing, 1985. (Timetables)
  • Brodribb, John, LNER Country Stations, Ian Allan, 1988
  • Clinker, C R, Clinkers Register of Closed Passenger Stations and Goods Depots in England, Scotland and Wales 1830-1980, Avon-Anglia Publications, 1988
  • Crowther, G L, National Atlas showing Canals, Navigable Rivers, Mineral Tramroads, Railways and Street Tramways, Volume 6 Lincolnshire and East Anglia, GL Crowther, 1986
  • Gammell, C J, LNER Branch Lines, OPC, 1993
  • Gordon, D I, A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain, Volume 5, Eastern Counties, David and Charles, 1968
  • Hewlett, H B, The Quarries, Ironstone, Limestone and Sand, Market Overton Industrial Railway Association, 1979 (first published 1935)
  • Joby, R S, Forgotten Railways, Volume 7, East Anglia, David and Charles, 1985
  • Jones, Robin, Beeching, The Inside Track, Mortons Media Group, 2012
  • Leleux, Robin, A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain, Volume 9, The East Midlands, David and Charles, 1984
  • Welbourn, Nigel, Lost Lines Eastern, Ian Allan, 1995

D. Railway Companies with lines in Lincolnshire

  • Clark, Ronald H, A Short History of the Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway, Goose and Son, 1967
  • Cupit, J and Taylor, J, The Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast Railway, Oakwood Press, 1966
  • Dickenson, M J, The Short Term Effects of the GNR on the Economy of south west Kesteven 1850-1852, in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, Volume 6, 1971
  • Digby, Nigel J L, A Guide to the Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway, Ian Allan, 1993
  • The District Controllers View, the Midland and Great Northern Joint, Xpress Publishing, 2009
  • Dow, George, Great Central Volume I, The Progenitors 1813-1863, Locomotive Publishing, 1959
  • Dow, George, Great Central Volume II, Dominion of Watkin 1864-1899, Locomotive Publishing, Second Edition 1967
  • Dow, George, Great Central Volume III, Fay Sets the Pace 1900-1922, Ian Allan, 1965
  • Essery, Bob, The Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway and its Locomotives, Lightmoor Press, 2009
  • Franks, D L, Great Northern and London & North Western Joint Railway, Turntable Enterprises, 1964. (includes Grantham to Leicester train service)
  • Nock, O S, The Great Northern Railway, Ian Allan, 1958
  • Wrottesley, John, The Great Northern Railway, Volume I, Origins and Development, Batsford, 1979
  • Wrottesley, John, The Great Northern Railway, Volume II, Expansion and Competition, Batsford, 1979
  • Wrottesley, John, The Great Northern Railway, Volume III, Twentieth Century to Grouping, Batsford, 1981

E. Books of photographs with Lincolnshire examples

  • Anderson, V R and Fox, G K, A Pictorial Record of Midland Railway Architecture, Oxford Publishing Co, 1985
  • Beckett, MD and Hemnell, D R, M&GN in Action, Becknell Books, 1981
  • Beckett, MD and Hemnell, D R, M&GN in Focus, Becknell Books, 1980
  • Burgess Neil, Lincolnshire’s Lost Railways, Stenlake Publishing, 2007
  • Clark, Ronald H, Scenes from the Midland & Great Northern Railway, Moorland Publishing, 1978.
  • Croft, Eric, Lincolnshire Railway Stations on old picture postcards, Reflections of a Bygone Age, 1993.
  • Croft, Eric, Railways in Lincolnshire on old picture postcards, Reflections of a Bygone Age, 2010,
  • Greening, David, Steam in the East Midlands, Becknell Books, 1982
  • Herbert, W B, and Robinson, D N, Lincolnshire Railways in Camera Volume One, Quotes Limited, 1986
  • Lambert, Anthony J, East Midlands Branch Line Album, Ian Allan Ltd, 1978.
  • Wells, P H, Steam in the East Midlands, Ian Allan Ltd, 1985.

F. Lincolnshire Tramways

  • Bett, Wingate Henry, Gillham, J C, Price, John Horace, Tramways of the East Midlands, Light Railway Transport League, 1979
  • Lucas, William Harold, Memories of Grimsby and Cleethorpes Transport, Turntable Publications, 1974
  • Oppitz, Leslie, Tramways Remembered East Anglia, East Midlands and Lincolnshire, Countryside Books, 1992
  • Price, J H, The Tramways of Grimsby, Immingham & Cleethorpes, Light Rail Transit Association, undated
  • Robinson, David N, Lincolnshire Tramways in Camera, Quotes Ltd, 1991
  • Unknown, A Tramway between Brigg and Lincoln, LP&P No 20, Summer 1995

G. Other Aspects of Railways

  • Ashberry, Jez, Lincoln University Library – The Great Central Warehouse, LP&P No 62, Winter 2006/7
  • Birch, N C, Barnetby Maltings, in LIA Volume V, Number 1, p14, January 1970
  • Birch, N C, The Great Northern Hotel and Stables, Lincoln, LIA Volume IV, Number 3, p47, August 1969
  • Ruddock, J G and Pearson, R E, Clayton Wagons Ltd, J Ruddock Ltd, 1989
  • Squires, Stewart, Sack Hire and the railways (Chapter 3.1); Potato Railways (Chapter 5.1); Fish and Chips (Chapter 6) in Growing Better: Lincolnshire and the Potato, Edited by Squires, Stewart and Wilson, Catherine, SLHA, 2011
  • Vanns, Michael A, An Illustrated History of Great Northern Railway Signalling, OPC, 2000
  • Waddington, H S, Barnetby, Re-use of stone sleepers, LHA Volume 23, 1988
  • Wall, Tony, Stone Sleepers at Lincoln, St Marks Station, LHA Volume 19, 1984
  • Wright, Neil, A Railway Tease (a hoax advert for a railway project in 1845), LP&P No 38, Winter 1999/2000
  • Wright, Neil R, Lincolnshire Towns and Industry 1700 – 1914, History of Lincolnshire Committee, 1982

Stewart Squires, 2013

Canals and Waterways : Bibliography
Books and other sources on canals and waterways in Lincolnshire

Waterways have been used for transport in Lincolnshire for many centuries.  The Vikings and Danes are believed to have used the River Trent and the Fossdyke is popularly said to have been built by the Romans as part of a transport link for food and supplies to be taken from the east of England up to York and beyond. Navigation must have depended on water levels and may not have been possible in dry periods.

Prior to the Industrial Revolution the Ancholme was improved in 1287 and the Welland made navigable by 1673. The forerunner of the modern canals, the Bridgewater Canal from Preston Brook to Manchester, gained its Act of Parliament in 1759 but Grundy had carried out his survey for the Louth Canal in 1756.

The Industrial Revolution brought improvements to the Ancholme and the Trent; locks on the Witham and the Louth and the Tattershall Canals, all between 1767 and 1786. Now came the period known as the Canal Mania and by 1830 waterway travel was possible to Sleaford, Horncastle, Grantham, Caistor (actually Moortown); and on the River Nene. There were failed attempts to reach both Alford and Market Rasen.

There have also been a number of land drainage channels that have been or are still navigable. The widest network of these are the Witham Navigable Drains, a collection  of waterways that are still navigable today although, like their ancient forebears the navigable limits are set by their fluctuating water levels.

Alvingham Lock, Louth Canal

Staunch, River Bain, Horncastle

Books and Other Sources

Abbreviations: LHA = Lincolnshire History and Archaeology (SLHA journal); LP&P = Lincolnshire Past & Present (SLHA Magazine); LIA = Lincolnshire Industrial Archaeology (forerunner of LHA, 1966-1973)

  • Acton, R, Navigations and the Mid-Lincolnshire Economy, 1790-1830, LHA Volume 15, 1980
  • Acton, R, The Market Rasen Canal, 1801-1980, LHA Volume 17, 1982
  • Atkin, Wendy J, The Old Warehouse in Navigation Yard, Sleaford, LP&P No 33/34, Autumn and Winter 1998
  • Beckwith, I S, The Book of Gainsborough, Barracuda Books Ltd, 1988 (in particular Waterways, pp95-108)
  • Beckwith, I S, The River Trade of Gainsborough, 1500-1850, LHA Volume 2, 1967
  • Beckwith, I S, The History of Transport and Travel in Gainsborough, Gainsborough Urban District Council, 1971
  • Bennett, Stewart and Bennett Nicholas, An Historical Atlas of Lincolnshire, University of Hull Press, 1993, (in particular, Wright, Neil, Navigable Waterways and Canals,  pp 80/81)
  • Birch, N C, Stamford an Industrial History, SLHA, Reprint 1999 (in particular pp26-28)
  • Birch, N C, Waterways and their uses in Lincolnshire, LP&P No 28, Summer 1997
  • Bowskill, Derek, Northeast Waterways, a cruising guide to the Witham, Trent, Yorkshire Ouse and associated waterways, Imray Laurie Norie & Wilson, 1986
  • Caldicott, Arthur, Life on the Trent and Humber Rivers, Richard Kay, 1999
  • Carey, Ray, The Fossdyke Navigation, 1741-1846, the era of the Ellisons, LP&P No 29, Autumn 1997
  • Carey, Raymond, The River and John Frank, and Reads Island, The River and John Frank Enterprise, c1997
  • Cheetham, A K, Grantham Canal, LIA Volume III, Number 1, p3
  • Clapson, Rodney, Barton and the River Humber, Barton on Humber WEA, 2007
  • Clarke, J N, The Horncastle and Tattershall Canal, Oakwood Press, 1990
  • Corrie, Euan, Restoration Report Grantham Canal, in Waterways World, June 1994
  • Cove-Smith, Chris, The Grantham Canal Today, Grantham Canal Restoration Society, 1974
  • Craven, E, Notes from the papers (Lincoln Steam Packets), LIA Volume 8, No 3, p51, 1973
  • Day, Nicholas J, Bricks and Sails, saga of boats and bricks, Great Grimsby Borough Councils Museums and Heritage Services, 1995
  • Day, Nicholas J, Humber Keels by John Frank plus Sloopmen of South Ferriby, River and John Frank Enterprise, 1996 Edition
  • de Salis, Henry, Bradshaw’s Canals and Navigable Rivers of England and Wales, 1904, Old House Books, Reprint 2012
  • D’Orley, Alun A, The Humber Ferries, Nidd Valley Narrow Gauge Railways, 1968
  • English, Jim, River Trips on the River Trent, LP&P No 27, Spring 1997
  • Fletcher, Harry, A Life on the Humber, Keeling to Shipbuilding, Faber & Faber, 1975
  • Gostick, Les, Our River Slea, Self published, no date
  • Hadfield, Charles and Boughey, Joseph, Hadfield’s British Canals, Eighth Edition, Budding Books, 1994
  • Hadfield, Charles and Skempton, AW, William Jessop, Engineer, David and Charles, 1979
  • Hadfield, Charles, The Canals of the East Midlands, David and Charles, Second Edition, 1970
  • Hunt, W M, The Sleaford Navigation Office, LHA Volume 10, 1975
  • Hunt, W M, Horncastle Navigation Engineers, 1792-94, Journal of the Railway and Canal Historical Society (RCHS), March 1979
  • Hunt, W M, The Lincoln High Bridge Scheme, RCHS Journal, Nov 1991
  • Jones, P, The Ever Confusing Horncastle Canal, RCHS Journal July 2003
  • Lester, C J, Navigation House, Sleaford, LP&P No 3, Spring 1991
  • Lord, Peter, Portrait of the River Trent, Robert Hale, Reprint 1972
  • Lyons, N J L, Louth Navigation Act of 1828, LIA Volume IV, Number 1, p2, January 1969
  • McKnight, Hugh, The Shell Book of Inland Waterways, David and Charles, 1975
  • Newton, Ron, My Childhood Playground, Hutton Press, 2001. (Includes memories of the brickworks, the chalk quarries and the Haven, to the west of Barton upon Humber)
  • Padley, Christopher, The Caistor Canal, LHA Volume 44, 2009; reprint with revisions & extra illustrations, SLHA, 2015 
  • Page, C J, Ancholme Navigation, LIA Volume VII, Number 3, p33, 1972
  • Paget-Tomlinson, Edward W, The Complete Book of Canal and River Navigations, Waine Research Publications, 1978
  • Perrot, David, Editor, Ordnance Survey Guide to the Waterways, 3, North, Robert Nicholson Publications, 1983
  • Pitman, Tony, The Grantham Canal Guide, Grantham Canal Society, 2008
  • Price, Dorothea, A River Journey through the Deepings, no publisher or date stated
  • Richardson, Christine, Lingering in Lincs, in Waterways World, October 1992. (Fossdyke, Witham and Navigable Drains)
  • Robinson, David, Putting into Port, pp31-41, in Lincolnshire on the Move, Editors Howard, Jean and Lester, Chris, SLHA, 2005
  • Russell, Ronald, Lost Canals of England and Wales, in particular Chapter 5, The East Midlands, (Grantham Canal) and Chapter 8, The East, (Louth, Horncastle and Caistor Canals),  David and Charles, 1971
  • Schofield, Fred, Humber Keels and Keelmen, Terence Dalton Ltd, 1988
  • Simmons, Brian and Cope-Faulkner, Paul, The Car Dyke, Heritage Lincolnshire, 2006
  • Sizer, S M, Louth Navigation, A History, (1756-1926), Louth Navigation Trust, 1999
  • Skempton, A W, The Engineering Works of John Grundy (1719-1783), LHA 19 (1984)
  • Squires, Stewart, A Tale of Two Bridges (Fossdyke, Saxilby), in Waterways World, September 1988
  • Squires, Stewart, Ferries of the Tidal Trent, in Canal and Riverboat, May 1990
  • Squires, Stewart, Hauling Along the Cut, pp42-50 in Lincolnshire on the Move, Editors Howard, Jean and Lester, Chris, SLHA, 2005
  • Squires, Stewart, The Caistor Canal, in Waterways World, May 1990
  • (anon), The Stamford Canal, Deepings Heritage, no date
  • Waddington, H S, Louth Navigation, LHA Volume 21, 1986
  • Walker, Andrew, Editor, Brayford Pool, Lincoln’s Waterfront Through Time, Survey of Lincoln, 2012
  • White, Peter R, The Alford Canal, Journal of the Railway and Canal Historical Society, Volume XVI No.2, 1970
  • Wilson, Catherine, Ed, Barton on Humber, Clapson’s Boatyard, LHA, Volume 12, 1977
  • Wilson, Catherine, Ed, Lincoln, Stamp End Lock Footbridge, LHA, Volume 12, 1977
  • Wright, Neil R, Lincolnshire Towns and Industry 1700-1914, Chapters 3 and 8, History of Lincolnshire Committee, 1982
  • Wright, Neil R, Sutton Bridge – An Industrial History, SLHA, 2009
  • Wright, Neil, Witham Town, Boston, Terminus of the Witham Navigation, LIA, Volume VI, Number 4,1971

Stewart Squires, 2013


Boyall's Carriage Works, Grantham
The local firm making horse-drawn vehicles which were crucial to industry, trade and leisure in the town

Now the Grantham branch sales office and showroom of a national chain of builders' merchants, this delightful memento of a bygone Victorian industry was once the centrepiece of an extensive factory complex devoted to the manufacture of a wide variety of horse-drawn vehicles and their accessories.

These ranged from the utilitarian to the elegant, from bespoke carriages 'for the nobility' to the quality production of such hardware as artillery wheels.

Richard Boyall's Brownlow Works occupied a prestigious site close to one of the county's principal railway junctions and thrived in late Victorian times until its products' motive power was superceded by the internal combustion engine.

In the builders' yard can still be seen traces of the former work base, including the works' bell and forge chimneys, but pride of place goes to the former showroom building which has survived more or less intact until the present day.

Escaping demolition at the time when Boyall's went out of business in pre-WW1 times, this building has seen many changes of use. From time to time it has been a cinema, a dance hall, an ice rink and roller skating hall, a distribution centre for dairy equipment as well as enduring periods of near dereliction. It is now carefully restored and well respected by its owners.


Peter Stevenson 

Boyall's carriage works, Grantham
Boyall's Brownlow Works, corner of
Wharf Road and Station Approach

 

Factory ball at Boyall's carriage works, Grantham
The bell used at Boyall's Works

Torksey Railway Bridge
A disused bridge over the Trent has historic significance

The railway bridge at Torksey over the Trent was designed by Sir John Fowler in 1849 for the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway. It is one of the country's first examples of a tubular girder bridge. (Fowler later went on to build the famous Forth Rail Bridge with Benjamin Baker.)

At first the MSLR Board mistrusted the design, and permission to use the bridge was refused, but after 4 months of arguing it finally opened to rail traffic in April 1850.

The girders were strengthened in 1897 and the bridge was used regularly until 1959 when the line was closed. A grade 2* listed structure, it is now under consideration for use as part of a Sustrans cycle route.


Adrian Wheal

 

 

Boston Feather Factory
An unusual survival from a once common Fenland industry

This very decorative factory building has now been converted to apartments, but it was originally built for the processing of feathers for pillow cases.

Geese had been kept on the local fens for centuries, and their feathers were plucked twice a year and purified by heat in factories like this before being used to stuff the pillows of the rich.

At one time there were half a dozen such factories in the Lincolnshire fens and this is the last surviving Victorian building of that industry. The first feather factory on the site burnt down and this building was put up in its place in 1877.

It was erected by F S Anderson & Co., and very unusually for Victorian times this company was named after a woman. The Anderson family had been in the feather business for many years and by the time the factory was rebuilt the widowed Mrs Frances Susannah Anderson had succeeded her husband as head of the firm.

The feather factory continued in use until the middle of the 20th century and was latterly run by Fogarty & Co. who now operate from larger premises on the edge of Boston.


Neil Wright

Feather factory, Boston
Feather Factory
Trinity Street, Boston

Wymondham Navvy House
A unique survival on the former Bourne to Saxby MGNR railway line

Introduction

The Navvy House at Wymondham is one of a number of similar houses built in c1890 by the contractors for the Midland Railway for the construction of the line between Saxby and Bourne. Contracts were let and work began in October 1890.

The Wymondham house would have been constructed for Holme and King, the contractor for the railway between Saxby and a point between Wymondham and South Witham. It is the only survivor of several such structures which once stood in Castle Bytham, South Witham and Wymondham.

An extract from the Midland Railway plans shows the existing Station House, marked as ‘S M Ho’, on the north side of the line with the existing Navvy House next west in the centre and the demolished Navvy House to the extreme west.

The house is a Grade II Listed Building, having been Listed on 13 January 1988 with a subsequent list amendment of 17 October 2007.


History

By the late C19 and following action by Parliament navvy housing was of a standard much improved over earlier years. Although considered to be temporary buildings, they provided a good standard of accommodation compared with some rural housing. Internally there were three rooms, with two of them being heated.

At one end was the smallest room, for occupation by a married man and his family. This and the central room were separated by the chimney with fireplace on both sides. The central and other end room were of an equal size.

The centre was a communal living and dining room with the unheated end being a dormitory. The wife would be paid by the lodgers for cleaning, cooking and washing.

Of the nine huts in Wymondham, the 1891 Census records that one was occupied by nine people, two by ten, one by 11, one by 12, two by 13 and two by 14. Of the pair of which the survivor is one, one was occupied by 13 people the other by 14.

One had a Foreman of Works, his wife and six daughters, together with six Railway Labourers, the latter all lodgers. The other had a Railway Labourer, his wife, described as a Cook, two Railway Labourer sons, a daughter described as a Laundress, and eight lodgers. One of these was an Engine Driver, two Engine Cleaners and five Railway Labourers.

Most were demolished after the line opened in 1893 but five examples at Little Bytham, one pair at South Witham and two at Wymondham, were retained and used as staff accommodation. They are all shown on the County Series, 1;2500 Second Edition maps.

Those at South Witham were demolished on 13 October 1954. Those at Little Bytham had all been demolished by the early 1970s. One of the surviving pair at Wymondham was demolished in 1993.

The local authority, Melton Borough Council, and the owner were not informed of the listing at the time because the paperwork had been sent to Wymondham in Norfolk.

One of the pair at Wymondham was lived in until the 1950s. The survivor has remnants of domestic wallpaper on its walls. Oral recollection is that it was regarded locally as rather shameful to live in what was, by the 1950s, a substandard dwelling, and it was occupied until 1956.

An assessment has been made in an effort to establish if the vertical timber cladding to the exterior is original. Surviving photographs of that at Broadgate Lane, South Witham, show it to have had horizontal boarding. However, there was a different contractor employed here, JD Nowell, and he may have clad the huts he provided in a different manner.

SWA Newton’s photographs of Navvy housing for the construction of the Great Central Railway in the period 1894-99 show the use of both horizontal and vertical cladding although where the latter is used it is plain, flat boarding rather than with the relief found at Wymondham.

So, the results are inconclusive but it is clear that the existing boards do have considerable age and, thus, may well be original.


Significance

That the building has architectural and historic interest is not disputed. The Heritage Gateway entry refers to it being a rare and almost intact example of its type and that it may be the only surviving example in England.

There is one other similar building, at Dent Station in Cumbria on the Settle to Carlisle line, also built by the Midland Railway in the period 1866 to 1875. It is also a Grade II Listed Building. Once almost derelict, this has now been repaired. It now provides for holiday accommodation, see www.dentstation.co.uk/snowhuts_interior.php

The website describes it as having been built in 1885 as a lineside shelter for railway workers, the name Snow Hut derived from its use for workers in winter keeping the line running at times of heavy snowfall.

The listing description for this building states that it was a dormitory for Navvies with an office at one end. It also has walls of stone which made it of more permanent construction. Indeed, in such an isolated spot, and being sited at the highest railway station in England, it may have been purposely built to more permanent than that at Wymondham.

The list description does also state that the building is a rare survival and that other examples have been substantially altered. No other examples have been listed.

The conclusion to be drawn from this is that the Wymondham Navvy house is unique, both in terms of its survival and relatively unaltered state. It is, therefore, a very important building in a national context.


Stewart Squires

Navvy house, Wymondham
Navvy house close to Wymondham
station on the former Bourne to Saxby MGNR line, 2010

Owston Ferry Pumping Station
Bordering the Trent and the Isle of Axholme, this pumping station has had a variety of engines and pumps

Owston Ferry, on the west bank of the Trent, lies on the edge of the historic Isle of Axholme, a large area a little above sea level. Effective drainage was first achieved here in the seventeenth century by lifting water from the land into the embanked Trent using wind-powered pumps.

In the early twentieth century the pumping station was equipped with two Marshall L-Class double-expansion steam engines driving Drysdale pumps to drain approx 5000 acres. One engine was replaced in 1952 by a Ruston and Hornsby 8HRC diesel engine and later a 3-cylinder Lister-Blackstone engine was installed. The remaining steam engine is believed not to have run since 1963.

The Owston Ferry Pumping Station Preservation Society has been set up to preserve and interpret the station and its machinery.


For further details about membership contact:

Marshall steam engine Marshall (of Gainsborough) Class L T Tandem Compound Steam Engine as installed at Owston Ferry

Owston Ferry pumping station
Owston Ferry Pumping Station
from the west