Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Aubourn
 
Aubourn Hall
Aubourn Hall
Aubourn Hall

Early C17 house probably by John Smythson. Important staircase and panelled rooms.

Home of the Neville family who have been Lords of the Manor since the late Middle Ages.

Regular garden open days.

DB 4th June 2017

Aubourn Hall, John Smythson, Neville
Aubourn Hall
Aubourn Hall
Aubourn Hall

Early C17 house probably by John Smythson. Important staircase and panelled rooms.

Home of the Neville family who have been Lords of the Manor since the late Middle Ages.

Regular garden open days.

DB 4th June 2017

Aubourn Hall, John Smythson, Neville
Aubourn Hall
Aubourn Hall
Aubourn Hall

Originally a Tudor house, Aubourn was altered and added to by Sir John Meres in c1600, the architect, possibly John Smythson, giving the hall its present 5 bay brick south front.

The interior has panelled rooms and a fine staircase.

From 1628 to the present day, the house has been owned by the Nevile family.

Frank Robinson, August 2014


Aubourn, Hall, John Meres, John Smythson, Nevile
Aubourn, Millennium Village Sign
Aubourn, Millennium Village Sign
Aubourn, Millennium Village Sign

Village sign located opposite The Royal Oak public house. 

DB 15th February 2018 

Aubourn, Millennium Village Sign
Aubourn, Royal Oak Public House
Aubourn, Royal Oak Public House
Aubourn, Royal Oak Public House

Public house on this site in 1828 called "The Plough". Name changed to "The Royal Oak" in 1870. 

DB 15th February 2018 

Aubourn, Royal Oak
Aubourn, School
Aubourn, School
Aubourn, School

A school marked here on the OS 25 inch map published 1905 and Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1909 has an entry  

"Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1862, for 43 children; average attendance, 32 ; Miss Sarah Agnes Short, mistress"

The modern school building, on the same site, most recently used as a business centre.

Currently for sale with an asking price of £200,000.

DB 24 July 2020 

Aubourn, School
Aubourn, St Peter (Old Church)
Aubourn, St Peter (Old Church)
Aubourn, St Peter (Old Church)

St Peterís is largely 13th century and once formed the chancel of a larger church.

The west front and the NW tower are 19th century.

Inside are Meres and Neville family monuments.

Frank Robinson, August 2014

Aubourn, St Peter old church, Neville, Meres
Aubourn, St Peter (Old Church)
Aubourn, St Peter (Old Church)
Aubourn, St Peter (Old Church)

St Peterís is largely 13th century and once formed the chancel of a larger church demolished in 1862.

DB 7th February 2018 

Aubourn, St Peter old church
Aubourn, St Peter (Old Church)
Aubourn, St Peter (Old Church)
Aubourn, St Peter (Old Church)

St Peterís is largely 13th century and once formed the chancel of a larger church demolished in 1862.

DB 7th February 2018 

Aubourn, St Peter old church
Aubourn, St Peter (Old Church), Memorial
Aubourn, St Peter (Old Church), Memorial
Aubourn, St Peter (Old Church), Memorial

Memorial to Lieutenant Colonel Frederick Ainslie, killed at the Battle of Inkermann in the Crimean War.

His mother was from the Nevile family of Aubourn Hall.

Mark Acton, 2010

Aubourn, St Peter church, Frederick Ainslie, memorial
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church)
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church)
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church)

This Victorian church was built in 1861-63 in Early English style by John H Hakewill at a cost of £2,600.

It featured an apsidal east end and an oak shingle broach spire.

It fell into serious disrepair in the 1960s and was closed

October 2016

 

Aubourn, John H Hakewill, oak shingle
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church)
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church)
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church)

In 1974 the nave and transepts up to the chancel arch were demolished, but the tower was retained.

The present standing structure comprises the tower and shingled broach spire, the chancel, apse and part of the unroofed south transept.

This surviving part of the church is Grade II listed and is known as Aubourn Clock Tower.

October 2016

Aubourn, St Peter new church, Aubourn Clock Tower
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church)
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church)
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church)

Local signage states :-

"The graves and war memorial in the grounds of the building are still used by the community and are well maintained by the Parish Council.

In 2004 the Heritage Lottery granted £86,100 and Lincolnshire Economic Action Partnership £7,000 to the Parish Council for works to the spire and apse and to create a heritage community room in the chancel"

DB 24 July 2020  

Aubourn, Saint Peter, Church
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church)
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church)
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church)

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of St. Peterer erected in 1862-3, on a site at the junction of the roads from Newark, Bassingham and Lincoln, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, from designs by Mr. Hakewill, architect, of London, and consists of apsidal chancel, nave, transepts and a tower on the east side of the south transept, ;with octagonal broach spire covered with oak shingle, and containing 3 bells and a clock presented at Christmas 1897, by the Rev. Arthur Fredk. Sutton. rector of Brant Broughton:

the height of the tower and spire is 100 feet:

there are 240 sittings"

DB 25 January 2018

Aubourn, Saint Peter, Church
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church), Doorway
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church), Doorway
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church), Doorway

Detail of doorway surround. Work of John H Hakewill*.

October 2016

* John Henry Hakewill (1810-1880) was an architect who undertook church restoration work principally in Suffolk, Wiltshire and Nottinghamshire.

Aubourn, St Peter new church, John H Hakewill.
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church), Glass
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church), Glass
Aubourn, St Peter (New Church), Glass

Glass remaining in the south transept window.

DB 24 July 2020 

Aubourn, Saint Peter, Church, stained glass
Aubourn, Vicarage
Aubourn, Vicarage
Aubourn, Vicarage

Former vicarage close to the new church - an older vicarage "Thatched Cottage" lies to the south of the old church.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire states :-

"The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £260, including 20 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Ralph H. C. Nevile esq. but pro hac vice T. H. Burroughes esq. of. Ketton Cottage, Stamford, and held since 1890 by the Rev. Joseph Potts M. A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge"

DB 24 July 2020  

Aubourn, Vicarage
Aubourn, War Memorial
Aubourn, War Memorial
Aubourn, War Memorial

War Memorial located in St Peter's (new church) churchyard.

"TO THE GLORY OF GOD IN COMMEMORATION OF THE SUCCESSFUL TERMINATION OF THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919 AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF THE MEN FROM AUBOURN AND HADDINGTON WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES ... "

Unveiled 16 October 1920.

Also 1939-1945

https:///www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/42947 

DB 24 July 2020

Aubourn, War Memorial
Aubourn, Water Standpost
Aubourn, Water Standpost
Aubourn, Water Standpost

Refurbished cast iron water standpost. Manufactured by Glenfield and Kennedy Ltd, Kilmarnock.

Provided village water supply until disconnected. Two other identical water standposts in Aubourn and one in the neighbouring village of Haddington. 

DB 15th February 2018

Aubourn, Water, Standpost, Standpipe, Glenfield and Kennedy Ltd
Aubourn, Water Standpost
Aubourn, Water Standpost
Aubourn, Water Standpost

Refurbished cast iron water standpost. Manufactured by Glenfield and Kennedy Ltd, Kilmarnock.

Provided village water supply until disconnected. Two other identical water standposts in Aubourn and one in the neighbouring village of Haddington. 

DB 15th February 2018

Aubourn, Water, Standpost, Standpipe, Glenfield and Kennedy Ltd
Aubourn, Water Standpost
Aubourn, Water Standpost
Aubourn, Water Standpost

Refurbished cast iron water standpost. Manufactured by Glenfield and Kennedy Ltd, Kilmarnock.

Provided village water supply until disconnected. Two other identical water standposts in Aubourn and one in the neighbouring village of Haddington. 

DB 15th February 2018

Aubourn, Water, Standpost, Standpipe, Glenfield and Kennedy Ltd