Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Bardney
 
Bardney Dairies, Methodist Church
Bardney Dairies, Methodist Church
Bardney Dairies, Methodist Church

This tiny chapel in a remote spot was built for the Wesleyans in 1857. A porch was added in 1957 to mark the centenary of the chapel.

August 2015


Bardney, Dairies methodist church
Bardney Dairies, Methodist Church
Bardney Dairies, Methodist Church
Bardney Dairies, Methodist Church

The Methodist Chapel at Bardney Dairies is hard against the B1202, three miles north of Bardney village.

Yellow Wragby brick, laid in Flemish bond, has been used in its construction. It was clearly built in two phases: see the vertical joint to the left of the right-hand door and note the slight change in colour of the bricks at this point.

August 2015

Bardney, Dairies, Methodist Church
Bardney, Abbey
Bardney, Abbey
Bardney, Abbey

The site of the medieval abbey church looking east. The mounds cover what remains of the bases of the nave piers.

Part of the abbey cloister can be seen on the right.

Frank Robinson, December 2014

Bardney, abbey
Bardney, Abbey Lodge Farmhouse
Bardney, Abbey Lodge Farmhouse
Bardney, Abbey Lodge Farmhouse

This modest farmhouse, built in stone with brick tumbled gables, has elements dating from the thirteenth century. It was partially rebuilt and renovated over the years through to the eighteenth century.

Pearl Wheatley, 2012

Bardney, Abbey Lodge farmhouse
Bardney, Abbey plan
Bardney, Abbey plan
Bardney, Abbey plan

Bird's eye view of Bardney Abbey looking from east to west. The Lincoln Gap and the cathedral are seen in the distance.

This speculative drawing by David Vale incorporates information derived from excavations of the abbey and its layout together with general knowledge of English Benedictine monasteries.

 

Bardney, Abbey plan, David Vale
Bardney, Abbey stone 01
Bardney, Abbey stone 01
Bardney, Abbey stone 01

A small waterleaf capital of high quality set on a square jamb block.

Below the main waterleaf it has a lower tier of leaves with a spiral pattern of decoration and drilled centres.

This piece is of early Gothic design and north-French style and as such probable originated in the transepts of the church.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey, stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 02
Bardney, Abbey stone 02
Bardney, Abbey stone 02

A niche head canopy with a miniature vault under an ogee-fronted arch.  The arch is decorated with foliate designs and has a foliate finial.

This engages with an embattled parapet over a cornice studded with miniature fleurons.  The crenellations have miniature merlons pierced with cross loops with drilled ends.

This splendid piece is probably 14th century in date.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey
Bardney, Abbey stone 03
Bardney, Abbey stone 03
Bardney, Abbey stone 03

A square planned abacus from the top of a pier capital with a moulded rim.

This is decorated with a band of small pyramid nailhead pellets over a shallow hollow and lower roll.

Probably from a broad rectangular respond in the aisles of the church the profile is essentially Romanesque in form.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey
Bardney, Abbey stone 04
Bardney, Abbey stone 04
Bardney, Abbey stone 04

A large grotesque corbel head, probably of Romanesque date and from the eaves of the church, it has a well-defined mouth and teeth with the tongue showing in the centre.  At the sides are small ears.

The over-large and exaggerated features indicate it was set at a considerable height.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 05
Bardney, Abbey stone 05
Bardney, Abbey stone 05

A transom bar from a perpendicular window.

This shows two soffit cups with glazing grooves.  The upper face is embattled and also has a well-defined glazing groove.

The glazed light was relatively wide and it seems possible that this was simply one light from a much larger window.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 06
Bardney, Abbey stone 06
Bardney, Abbey stone 06

The apex stone from an acutely pointed lancet arch of 13th century date.

It shows extensive use of claw tooling and probably originated in the blind arcading applied to the lower part of the west front of the church.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 07
Bardney, Abbey stone 07
Bardney, Abbey stone 07

A large leaf decorated capital from a corner position or the side of a respond pier.  Notably it is angled to receive the vault rib it was designed to support.

The broad leaves have a tie across them and the central loop is decorated with a smaller leaf.  The faces of the broad leaves are marked out for cutting facets into them and for some reason this was never done.

The style is north-French and early Gothic.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 08
Bardney, Abbey stone 08
Bardney, Abbey stone 08

Part of the base of a 14th Century screen with major and minor bases for filleted shafts flanked by side fillets and on the minor bases single smaller filleted shafts.

Heavy claw tooling is visible on the tool bed face.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 09
Bardney, Abbey stone 09
Bardney, Abbey stone 09

Stone head from Bardney Abbey

David Miles, 2012

Bardney, Abbey stone
Bardney, Abbey, column
Bardney, Abbey, column
Bardney, Abbey, column

Photograph of a column at Bardney Abbey, during excavations undertaken by the Reverend Laing between 1909 and 1914.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Bardney, Abbey, column, Reverend Laing
Bardney, Abbey, excavators
Bardney, Abbey, excavators
Bardney, Abbey, excavators

Photograph of a group of excavators at Bardney Abbey, during excavations undertaken by the Reverend Laing between 1909 and 1914.  Reverend Laing himself sits at the centre.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Bardney, Abbey, group laing
Bardney, Abbey, inside west front
Bardney, Abbey, inside west front
Bardney, Abbey, inside west front

Photograph of the inner side of the west front at Bardney Abbey, during excavations undertaken by the Reverend Laing between 1909 and 1914.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Bardney, Abbey west front Laing
Bardney, Angel Inn, Public House, Wragby Road
Bardney, Angel Inn, Public House, Wragby Road
Bardney, Angel Inn, Public House, Wragby Road

Originally a thatched public house.

In 1995 The Angel Inn had a major refurbishment and the name was changed to Bards.

In 2014 after another refurbishment the name was changed again and it is now "The Old Angel Inn".

https://community.lincolnshire.gov.uk/bardneyvillagehistory/section.asp?docId=75987 

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Angel Inn, Wragby Road, Public House, Bards
Bardney, Bardney Lock
Bardney, Bardney Lock
Bardney, Bardney Lock

Bardney Lock, one mile north-west of the village centre, was built in 1865 to replace the original lock of c.1770.

It controls water levels on the Witham at the most prominent of the cuts which straightened and improved the river in the eighteenth century.

The lock has unusual curved gates, also seen at Antons Gowt and Stamp End, Lincoln.

September 2013

Bardney, Bardney Lock
Bardney, Black Horse, Wragby Road, Public House
Bardney, Black Horse, Wragby Road, Public House
Bardney, Black Horse, Wragby Road, Public House

Kelley's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 lists

Chapman Blanche (Mrs.), Nag's Head P.H.

Easton Geo. Humphrey, Railway hotel

Empson John Henry, Angel inn

Tether Frances (Mrs.), Black Horse P.H

There was also

Turner Betsy Ann (Mrs.), beer retlr

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Black Horse, Public House
Bardney, Ferry
Bardney, Ferry
Bardney, Ferry

There is known to have been a ferry over the Witham at Bardney for over 1000 years.

As shown in this Victorian photograph, there were separate ferries for passengers and vehicles; both of them chain operated.

The building of a bridge over the river 1894-96 to the north-west (left) of this scene brought the ferry services to an end.

Undated postcard

Bardney, Ferry, bridge,
Bardney, Manor House
Bardney, Manor House
Bardney, Manor House

Bardney’s Manor House dates from the late eighteenth century.

Pearl Wheatley, 2012

Bardney, Manor House
Bardney, Methodist Church
Bardney, Methodist Church
Bardney, Methodist Church

The current Methodist Church in Church Lane was built in 1903 as the lecture hall and Sunday School for the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.

The original chapel, which stood behind the current building, was demolished in 1973.

May 2010

Bardney, Wesleyan chapel
Bardney, Nags Head, Public House, Abbey Road
Bardney, Nags Head, Public House, Abbey Road
Bardney, Nags Head, Public House, Abbey Road

White's Directory 1856 lists 4 public houses :-

Coney John, victualler, Station

Dawson John, victualler, Nag's Head

Gibbons John, vict. Black Horse

Richardson Edwin, vict. Angel

There was also a beerhouse

Knott Wm. 

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Nags Head, Public House
Bardney, Old School House
Bardney, Old School House
Bardney, Old School House

The Free School for children from Bardney, Southrey, Tupholme and Bucknall was founded in 1711 by Thomas Kitching.

His charity built and maintained this school, built a few years later.

Pearl Wheatley, 2012

Bardney, old school house, Thomas Kitching
Bardney, Peter Hancock's Hospital
Bardney, Peter Hancock's Hospital
Bardney, Peter Hancock's Hospital

This charity was established by Hancock (or Handcock) in 1712, with an endowment to support seven men and seven women of Bardney.

Pearl Wheatley, 2012

Bardney, Peter Hancock's Hospital charity
Bardney, Pinfold
Bardney, Pinfold
Bardney, Pinfold

Village pound or pinfold was a feature of most English medieval villages.

Used to hold stray sheep, pigs and cattle until they were claimed by the owners usually for the payment of a fine or levy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_pound  

"The last Pinder for Bardney was Mr. S. Horsewood who was appointed in 1909. At the time the fee to retrieve animals was:

Six pence (6d) per head for beast, three pence (3d)  for pigs and two pence (2d) for sheep"

https://community.lincolnshire.gov.uk/bardneyvillagehistory/section.asp?catId=23293 

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Pinfold
Bardney, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Bardney, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Bardney, Primitive Methodist Chapel

The former Primitive Methodist Chapel in Wragby Road was built in 1858, as indicated by the date plaque over the door. It ceased to be used as a chapel in the 1950s.

Pearl Wheatley, 2010

Bardney, Primitive Methodist chapel
Bardney, Railway Bridge
Bardney, Railway Bridge
Bardney, Railway Bridge

The railway line across the Wolds from Louth through Wragby to Bardney was opened in 1876 and closed in 1960.

On the stretch between Bardney and Wragby there are very few surviving features of the line.

The station at Kingthorpe has been completely demolished; a crossing keeper's house on Abbey Lane, Bardney is much altered.

However, this fine bridge over a drain close to the B1202 one mile north of Bardney (TF 123 712) remains in good original condition.

Ken Redmore, 2009

Bardney, bridge, railway,
Bardney, Railway Station
Bardney, Railway Station
Bardney, Railway Station

The Lincoln to Boston line was opened in 1848 as part of the Great Northern Railway’s Lincolnshire Loop Line.

It followed the route of the River Witham for much of its 37 mile length. It became the junction for the Bardney to Louth line in 1874.

The distinctive Italianate style of these buildings was inspired by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert who used it for their palace at Osborne House on the Isle of Wight, built 1845-51.

The line closed for passenger trains in 1970 but trains continued to visit the adjacent sugar beet factory until 1981.

Peter Grey Archive, 1970

Bardney, railway station, Lincolnshire Loop Line, Italianate
Bardney, Smithson & Sons, Station Road
Bardney, Smithson & Sons, Station Road
Bardney, Smithson & Sons, Station Road

Flour and cake dealers.

Two of the entries in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 read :-

"Smithson & Son, farmers

Smithson Williamson & Sons, corn & flour dealers"

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Smithson & Sons
Bardney, St Francis RC Church
Bardney, St Francis RC Church
Bardney, St Francis RC Church

In 1945, an agricultural hut in Bardney was converted for temporary use as a church.

This building was never replaced, and is still the village’s Roman Catholic Church.

At one time, St Francis’s served many Irish seasonal workers employed at the nearby sugar beet factory.

April 2011

Bardney, St Francis Roman Catholic Church
Bardney, St Lawrence
Bardney, St Lawrence
Bardney, St Lawrence

The Church was built from stone and brick in the fifteenth century and is perpendicular in style. Stone fragments from Bardney Abbey can be seen in the building.

O.S Grid Ref. TF 1194 6937

Kathy Holland, 2013

Bardney, Abbey
Bardney, St Lawrence
Bardney, St Lawrence
Bardney, St Lawrence

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of St. Lawrence is a large edifice of brick and stone of the Perpendicular period, dating probably from about 1420, with some fragments of Norman work, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells :

the 4 old bells being recast and 2 new ones added in 1907 :

the chancel was restored in 1873 at the cost of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and in course of the work, an ancient altar slab, bearing seven crosses, was met with:

it has since been placed on an oak frame and now forms a communion table:

the stained east window was placed in Jan 1895 :

the rest of the church was restored in 1878-80, at a cost of about £2,500, when the west end of the north aisle was formed into a baptistery:

in 1916 a side altar was erected from stone including the old altar slab brought from the Benedidine Abbey of SS. Paul, Peter and Oswald, and a lady chapel formed in the north aisle:

some of the church plate dates from 1569:

there are 400 sittings.

The register dates from the year 1653.

The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £310, including 47 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln, and held since 1918 by the Rev. Walter Thomas French M.A. of Balliol College, Oxford"

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Saint Lawrence, Church
Bardney, St Lawrence
Bardney, St Lawrence
Bardney, St Lawrence

White's Directory of 1856, before some of the later Victorian "improvements" states :-

"The parish Church (St. Lawrence) is a neat structure, consisting of a nave with aisles, a chancel, and a well-built tower, in which are four bells and a clock.

In the chancel is a curiously wrought tombstone, without any inscription, and a tablet in memory of the Rev. M.G. Blennerhaysett, who died in 1778, and directed all his manuscript sermons (about400) to be put into his coffin, and buried with him.

The living, a discharged vicarage, Valued in K.B. at £7, and now at £60, has been augmented with £1020, of which £600 was a parliamentary grant, £200 Queen Anne's bounty, and the remainder was raised by subscription.

The Bishop of Lincoln is patron, and the Rev. Wm. Walker, M.A., is the incumbent, and has a large Vicarage House.

A great part of the parish is tithe-free"

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Saint Lawrence, Church
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel

Chancel of c.1434 with murals of 1935.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359500 

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Saint Lawrence, Church, chancel
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel, Decoration
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel, Decoration
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel, Decoration
Detail of the 1935 murals.
Bardney, St Lawrence, chancel trompe d'oeil
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel, Organ
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel, Organ
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel, Organ

Makers plate states 

"COUSANS SONS & CO.

CITY ORGAN WORKS

LINCOLN" 

http://www.cousansorgans.co.uk/history.html 

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Saint Lawrence, Church, organ, Cousans
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel, Reredos
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel, Reredos
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel, Reredos

"Ornate C19 reredos with Virgin and Child flanked by saints, all under canopies"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359500 

Bardney, St Lawrence church reredos
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel, Statue
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel, Statue
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel, Statue

Stone figure mounted on north side of chancel. The inscription reads:

"The figure of St Laurence excavated at Bardney Abbey 1910 was restored and placed in this church in loving memory of Walter Thos French MA Vicar of this parish 1910-1930 R.I.P."

Bardney, St Lawrence, statue, monument
Bardney, St Lawrence, Nave
Bardney, St Lawrence, Nave
Bardney, St Lawrence, Nave

Looking east towards the chancel.

" Tall, 5 bay late C15 north and south arcades with double chamfered, pointed heads, octagonal piers, moulded octagonal capitals and tall broached plinths.

Tall late C15 chancel arch with pointed double chamfered head, polygonal responds, moulded polygonal capitals and broached plinths"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359500 

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Saint Lawrence, Church, nave
Bardney, St Lawrence, Nave
Bardney, St Lawrence, Nave
Bardney, St Lawrence, Nave

Looking west towards the tower arch.

"Tall, pointed, double chamfered late C15 interior tower arch, the inner order supported on polygonal responds with moulded polygonal capitals and broached plinths"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359500 

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Saint Lawrence, Church
Bardney, St Lawrence, Nave, Pulpit
Bardney, St Lawrence, Nave, Pulpit
Bardney, St Lawrence, Nave, Pulpit

"C19 polygonal pulpit"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359500 

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Saint Lawrence, Church, pulpit
Bardney, St Lawrence, North Aisle
Bardney, St Lawrence, North Aisle
Bardney, St Lawrence, North Aisle

Looking east.

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Saint Lawrence, Church
Bardney, St Lawrence, North Aisle, Font
Bardney, St Lawrence, North Aisle, Font
Bardney, St Lawrence, North Aisle, Font

"C20 font with quatrefoiled panels"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359500 

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Saint Lawrence, Church, font
Bardney, St Lawrence, South Aisle
Bardney, St Lawrence, South Aisle
Bardney, St Lawrence, South Aisle

Looking east.

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Saint Lawrence, Church
Bardney, St Lawrence, South Aisle, Benefactors' Board
Bardney, St Lawrence, South Aisle, Benefactors' Board
Bardney, St Lawrence, South Aisle, Benefactors' Board

Benefactors' Board for Joseph and John Knowles.

Mark Acton, 2008

Bardney, St Lawrence, Benefactor board, Knowles
Bardney, St Lawrence, South Aisle, John & Joseph Knowles
Bardney, St Lawrence, South Aisle, John & Joseph Knowles
Bardney, St Lawrence, South Aisle, John & Joseph Knowles

White's Directory of 1856 states :-

"The sum of £30, given by Joseph Knowles, and £10 given by John Knowles, in 1603, were laid out in the purchase of a cottage, and about 4 acres of land, at Willoughby and Orby, now let for £10 a year, which is distributed in weekly doles of bread, among the poor parishioners"

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Saint Lawrence, Church, font
Bardney, St Lawrence, South Aisle, Thomas Kitching
Bardney, St Lawrence, South Aisle, Thomas Kitching
Bardney, St Lawrence, South Aisle, Thomas Kitching

White's Directory of 1856 states :-

"BARDNEY FREE SCHOOL was founded in 1711, by Thos. Kitching, who bequeathed for its endowment, and for other charitable uses, land which, 'With various allotments at enclosures, now comprises about 170 acres, at Fulletby, Moorby, Low Toynton, Belchford, and Wildmore Fen, let for about £200 per annum, of which £20 is paid to the master of this school, for the education of the poor children of Bardney, Tupholme, and Bucknall and the remainder is dispensed in relieving the poor widows and in apprenticing the poor children of Southrey.

The schoolmaster has also £20 a year, raised by subscription, besides the children's pence"

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Saint Lawrence, Church, Thomas Kitching
Bardney, St Lawrence, Tower
Bardney, St Lawrence, Tower
Bardney, St Lawrence, Tower

"Late C15 west tower with plinth, 2 richly moulded lower string courses and 3 stage diagonal buttresses"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359500 

DB 14 February 2019

Bardney, Saint Lawrence, Church, tower
Bardney, Sugar Beet Factory
Bardney, Sugar Beet Factory
Bardney, Sugar Beet Factory

Bardney Sugar Beet Factory was built in 1927 alongside the GNR line from Lincoln to Boston (to the east) and the river Witham (west).

It ceased processing beet in 2011, though parts of the plant are still used for bulk storage of sugar and also for sugar refining.

December 2011

Bardney, sugar beet factory
Bardney, Sugar Beet Factory
Bardney, Sugar Beet Factory
Bardney, Sugar Beet Factory

"A British Sugar factory, built in 1927, survived the closure of the railways but ceased processing on 9 February 2001"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardney 

DB 6 November 2011

Bardney, Sugar Beet factory
Bardney, Sugar Beet Factory
Bardney, Sugar Beet Factory
Bardney, Sugar Beet Factory

The British Sugar factory pictured in 1979 when it was still operational.

DB 1979

Bardney, Sugar Beet Factory
Bardney, Windmill
Bardney, Windmill
Bardney, Windmill

The 6-sailed tower mill was situated on the south side of Abbey Lane.

undated postcard

Bardney, windmill
Bardney, Windmill
Bardney, Windmill
Bardney, Windmill

This more distant view of Bardney windmill is from the north-west, with Abbey Lane running across the centre of the scene.

Postcard from David Robinson Collection, c.1910

Bardney, windmill, Abbey Lane
Bardney, Windmill
Bardney, Windmill
Bardney, Windmill

The 6-sailed windmill was on the south side of Abbey Lane.

In 1943 the sails were removed shortly after the opening of Bardney airfield. It was thought that they might obstruct Lancaster bombers.

undated postcard


Bardney, windmill