Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Bassingham
 
Bassingham, Bugle Horne
Bassingham, Bugle Horne
Bassingham, Bugle Horne

"Built in the 17th Century as an Inn"

http://www.bassinghambuglehorn.co.uk/ 

Listed in White's Directory 1856 "Harmston Geo. vict. Bugle Horn".

Also listed were the "Five Bells", a beerhouse called the "Black Swan" and "Hammond John, brewer & maltster".

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, Bugle Horn, Inn, Public House
Bassingham, Five Bells
Bassingham, Five Bells
Bassingham, Five Bells

"Parts of the pub date back to the late 18th century"

https://fivebellsbassingham.co.uk/ 

Listed in White's Directory 1856 "Rogers John, vict. Five Bells" and in Kelly's Directory 1919 "Clayton William, Five Bells P.H"

DB 10 June 2012

Bassingham, Five Bells, Public House, Inn, image
Bassingham, Green's Stores
Bassingham, Green's Stores
Bassingham, Green's Stores

"House now shop. Early C18 and mid C19"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061922 

Village history map states "was started by John Burt, a Quaker who went into business as a draper and grocer in 1760". 

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, Green's Stores
Bassingham, High Street
Bassingham, High Street
Bassingham, High Street

The little cottage on the left was a shop for many years. The first owner in the 20th century was Elsam, then Steel (circa 1922) and finally George and Blanche Bates (circa 1938).  Mrs.Bates closed the shop with the introduction of VAT.

The building is on High Street, Bassingham, close to the school, the War Memorial, the Church and the Old Rectory (now a Nursing Home.)  Being a 'sweet shop' it was a popular place with the children.

In the distance is the blacksmith’s with horses waiting on the road.

This is one of the older parts of the village. When the photograph was taken Martin’s stackyard was on the other side of the road.

Post card, c.1925
Notes from Mrs Helen Ash

Bassingham, shop, Steel
Bassingham, Ivy House
Bassingham, Ivy House
Bassingham, Ivy House

"House. Early C18 and early C19"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061921 

DB 16 June 2020 

Bassingham, Ivy House
Bassingham, Manor Farmhouse, Whites Lane
Bassingham, Manor Farmhouse, Whites Lane
Bassingham, Manor Farmhouse, Whites Lane

"Early C18 and mid C19"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061924 

Explained by village history map that 

"Bassingham Manor House was once part of Manor Farm. In 1832 Charles Marfleet, one of the Lords of the Manor, modernised the frontage as we see it today"

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, Manor Farmhouse, Charles Marfleet
Bassingham, School
Bassingham, School
Bassingham, School

Building inscription states :-

"National Schools

A.D. MDCCCLV" 

School closed in 1982 and is now a private residence.

DB 20 April 2018 

Bassingham, School
Bassingham, Spar Shop
Bassingham, Spar Shop
Bassingham, Spar Shop

Spar shop building formerly the Co-op.

Entry in Kelly's Directory 1909 reads "Lincoln Equitable Co-operative Industrial Society Limited (No. 16 branch) (Arthur Bates, manager)"

Village history map states that it was built July 1892.

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, Spar Shop, Co-operative
Bassingham, St Michael
Bassingham, St Michael
Bassingham, St Michael

The church of St. Michael in Bassingham has a Norman nave and an early fourteenth century chancel.

The embattled clerestory is of the Perpendicular period, with quatrefoiled parapet, gargoyles and pinnacles.

Mark Acton, 2008

Bassingham, St Michael church, Norman
Bassingham, St Michael
Bassingham, St Michael
Bassingham, St Michael

The same view of St Michael's Church from the south-east, this time in the Summer.

August 2016

Bassingham, St Michael
Bassingham, St Michael
Bassingham, St Michael
Bassingham, St Michael

St Michael's tower was rebuilt by Thomas Bell in 1782 and incorporated a small 11th century window in the north side.

The single-light, shafted bell-openings are Early English.

August 2016

Bassingham, St Michael church, bell openings
Bassingham, St Michael
Bassingham, St Michael
Bassingham, St Michael

The north arcade (to the left) is essentially Norman - though heavily restored in 1860 by J H Hakewill.

The south arcade (to the right) is of similar date (piers and capitals) but the arches are later.

Pevsner is dismissive of Hakewill's chancel arch.

August 2016

Bassingham, St Michael, interior
Bassingham, St Michael
Bassingham, St Michael
Bassingham, St Michael

Looking back through the 1860 chancel arch and towards the 1782 tower arch.

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, Saint Michael, Church, image
Bassingham, St Michael
Bassingham, St Michael
Bassingham, St Michael

Saxon stones form the altar in the south aisle.

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, Saint Michael, Church, image
Bassingham, St Michael
Bassingham, St Michael
Bassingham, St Michael

Kelly's Directory 1919 states :-

"The church of St. Michael is an ancient building of stone, in the Norman, Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock, erected in 1887, and 5 bells:

the tower, being in a ruinous condition, was rebuilt in 1782, under the direction of Mr. Thomas Bell, architect, and about the year 1835 the chancel was partially rebuilt at the cost of the rector:

in 1860 the church was restored at a cost of £1,300, from designs by Mr. J. H. Hakewill, architect, when the north arcade, chancel and tower arches were rebuilt, the nave roof repaired, the aisles roofed anew and the interior refitted :

during the progress of some excavations within the area of the church a very rude and early oblong font of Ketton stone was discovered, probably of the latter part of the 10th century, and in the wall a double tombstone, with crosses on it, and a sepulchral slab:

there are 350 sittings"

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, Saint Michael, Church, image
Bassingham, St Michael, capital
Bassingham, St Michael, capital
Bassingham, St Michael, capital

The Early English north arcade was rebuilt by J H Hakewill* in 1860.

This scalloped capital on a round pier shows two successive arches. The one on the left has an authentic zig-zag decoration; the other is more likely an invention of Hakewill.

August 2016

* John Henry Hakewill (1810-1880) was an architect whose best known works are in Suffolk

Bassingham, St Michael, capital, J H Hakewill
Bassingham, St Michael, East Window
Bassingham, St Michael, East Window
Bassingham, St Michael, East Window

Guide notes state "Stylised angels in Munich glass from 1938 by W.F. Zettler.

The Latin inscription on St. Michael's shield "Quis ut Deus" is translated from Hebrew and means "Who is like our God".

St. Michael has Gabriel to his right and Raphael holding a fish, to his left"

DB 10 June 2012

Bassingham, Saint Michael, Church, image, stained glass, window, W.F. Zettler
Bassingham, St Michael, Font
Bassingham, St Michael, Font
Bassingham, St Michael, Font

Guide notes state "The Font is located to the side of the chancel arch. It dates from the 13th century and has rose carvings. It was relocated from the rear of the church in the 1980s".

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, Saint Michael, Church, image, font
Bassingham, St Michael, Gargoyles
Bassingham, St Michael, Gargoyles
Bassingham, St Michael, Gargoyles

Two of the gargoyles above the clerestory.

Church guide notes read "There are gargoyles in the battlemented clerestory with tiny heads on its pinnacles and more heads by the windows.

There is a lady in a wimple; an ape pointing its teeth; a frog with bulging eyes and a dog-like face which according to Arthur Mee, Walt Disney used for a sketch he made when visiting Bassingham as a likeness for the famous Walt Disney Pluto character" 

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, Saint Michael, Church, image, Gargoyles
Bassingham, St Michael, HMS Bassingham's Bell
Bassingham, St Michael, HMS Bassingham's Bell
Bassingham, St Michael, HMS Bassingham's Bell

"HMS Bassingham was one of 93 ships of the Ham class of inshore minesweepers, of which HMS Inglesham was the first. Their names were all chosen from villages ending in -ham.

The minesweeper was named after Bassingham in Lincolnshire. She was built by Vospers Ltd. of Portsmouth, which later became Vosper-Thorneycroft and was commissioned in October 1953. She displaced 164 tons fully laden and was armed with one 40 mm Bofors gun"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Bassingham 

The church guide notes state "At the end of the north aisle is the ship's bell, rung at the beginning of Morning Service, the ship's badge, a photograph and history. They were placed there in 1998 by former members of the crew".

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, St Michael, HMS, Bell
Bassingham, St Michael, Monument
Bassingham, St Michael, Monument
Bassingham, St Michael, Monument

A monument to Poole Savage d.1828. 

Pevsner comments "A tablet in the Greek taste by Wray of Lincoln".

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, Saint Michael, Church, image, monument, Poole Savage
Bassingham, St Michael, North Arcade
Bassingham, St Michael, North Arcade
Bassingham, St Michael, North Arcade

Looking across towards the north arcade. 

"The 3 bay north arcade, rebuilt 1860, has round arches, and 2 circular piers with scalloped capitals"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061923 

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, Saint Michael, Church, image
Bassingham, St Michael, Parish Chest
Bassingham, St Michael, Parish Chest
Bassingham, St Michael, Parish Chest

Displayed in the north aisle near HMS Bassingham's bell.

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, Saint Michael, Church, image, parish chest
Bassingham, St Michael, Piscina
Bassingham, St Michael, Piscina
Bassingham, St Michael, Piscina

C13 piscina.

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, Saint Michael, Church, image, Piscina
Bassingham, St Michael, Pulpit Panel
Bassingham, St Michael, Pulpit Panel
Bassingham, St Michael, Pulpit Panel

A panel from the former Jacobean pulpit, dated 1674, displayed in the north aisle.

The pulpit now in use dates from 1886. 

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, Saint Michael, Church, image, pulpit
Bassingham, The Grange
Bassingham, The Grange
Bassingham, The Grange

"House. c1700. Brick with high hipped pantile roof"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1147317 

Pevsner comments that this is the nicest house in Bassingham. 

DB 16 June 2020 

Bassingham, The Grange, House
Bassingham, Village Green, Stocks Hill
Bassingham, Village Green, Stocks Hill
Bassingham, Village Green, Stocks Hill

Ornamental brick walls are a community arts project.

Carved in 2002 & 2003 by a class from Bassingham School.

Peter Moss credited as the artist. 

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, community arts, Ornamental brick, Peter Moss
Bassingham, Village Sign
Bassingham, Village Sign
Bassingham, Village Sign

Village sign depicting 7 bells - located on Carlton Road.

"In 1998 the church added a seventh bell: the ship's bell from HMS Bassingham, presented by her former commander after she was decommissioned"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassingham 

DB 24 September 2018

Bassingham, Village Sign
Bassingham, War Memorial
Bassingham, War Memorial
Bassingham, War Memorial

"An obelisk of red Aberdeen granite, facing the village green"

https://www.lincstothepast.com/Bassingham/1627804.record?pt=S 

"memorial cost £211.75"

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, War Memorial
Bassingham, Water Standpost
Bassingham, Water Standpost
Bassingham, Water Standpost

Community water standpost retained for interest.

Very similar standposts by Glenfield & Kennedy Ltd, Kilmarnock in Aubourn, Coleby, Haddington, Heighington, Navenby, Wellingore and other settlements.

DB 20 April 2018

Bassingham, Water, Standpost, Standpipe, Glenfield & Kennedy Ltd
Bassingham, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Bassingham, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Bassingham, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The chapel at Bassingham was built for the Wesleyan Methodists in 1839.

It is unexpectedly large (500 'sittings') for a village with a population below 1000.

August 2016

Bassingham, Methodist Chapel, Wesleyan
Bassingham, Wesleyan School
Bassingham, Wesleyan School
Bassingham, Wesleyan School

Wesleyan School located immediately behind the chapel.

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Lincoln Circuits Past And Present" prepared by Colin Shepherdson (Revised October 2000) it is stated that :-

"A Society was formed in 1801 and a chapel, in the High Street, opened in 1802.

A larger chapel was built on the same site and opened on the 14.1.1840.

A day school was added in 1855 and dosed in 1893.

The chapel was altered and an organ installed in 1897.

The organ was replaced in 1966 by one from the redundant Aubourn Parish Church.

The chapel is still in use with a membership of 16"

Unfortunately the chapel has now closed and been converted into a private house.

DB 16 June 2020 

Bassingham, Wesleyan School
Bassingham, Wesleyan School
Bassingham, Wesleyan School
Bassingham, Wesleyan School

Detail of the date stone MDCCCLV (1855). 

DB 16 June 2020 

Bassingham, Wesleyan School
Bassingham, windmill
Bassingham, windmill
Bassingham, windmill

This post mill was reputedly built by the Worsdall family in the 18th century. It worked until circa 1900 and was demolished in 1914.

Postcard mailed from Bassingham in 1906

Bassingham, post mill Worsdall family