Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Binbrook
 
Binbrook, 460 Squadron Memorial, Kirmond Road
Binbrook, 460 Squadron Memorial, Kirmond Road
Binbrook, 460 Squadron Memorial, Kirmond Road

Unveiled 9 September 1973

"460 SQUADRON

ROYAL AUSTRALIAN

AIR FORCE

'TO THOSE WHO SERVED'

BREIGHTON (YORKS)

BINBROOK (LINCS)

FROM

13TH NOVEMBER 1941

TO

2ND OCTOBER 1943

STRIKE AND RETURN"

The memorial commemorates over 900 Australian Airmen who gave their lives flying from Breighton and Binbrook.

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, 460 Squadron Memorial, RAAF
Binbrook, Free Methodist Chapel / Queens Hall, Kirmond Road
Binbrook, Free Methodist Chapel / Queens Hall, Kirmond Road
Binbrook, Free Methodist Chapel / Queens Hall, Kirmond Road

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Market Rasen & Caistor Circuit” (Revised August 1998) Shepherdson & Mumby state :- 

"A Society was formed in 1855 and the foundation stone for a chapel, in Kirmond Road, was laid later in the same year, on the 9th August, and opened before the year ended on the 23th December.

It was renovated and reopened on the 31.7.1872.

The chapel was rebuilt on the same site with the stone laying taking place on the 1.6.1914.

The last service was held on the 1.7.1934 and the congregation then joined with the ex-Wesleyans.

The chapel was let to the Air Ministry from 1941 to 1946, and then let as a youth club from 1946 to 1954.

It was put up for sale in 1954 and sold in 1959 to became the "Queens Hall Village Centre""

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, Free Methodist Chapel, Queens Hall
Binbrook, Manor House, Market Place
Binbrook, Manor House, Market Place
Binbrook, Manor House, Market Place

"House. Rear range of c.1700, C18 front raised and altered in late C18 with rear addition of 1899, by Croft and Bentley, Architects"

"The kitchen in the rear wing has an impressive c.1900 cast iron range by Cartwright and Pickering of Louth, in a blue and white tiled surround"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063135

"Gatepiers and wall. Early C18"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1147892 

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, Manor House, Croft and Bentley, Cartwright and Pickering
Binbrook, Marquis of Granby Inn
Binbrook, Marquis of Granby Inn
Binbrook, Marquis of Granby Inn

The Inscription states

"MARQUIS OF GRANBY

BUILT 1695

RESTORED 1999" 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 lists two public houses in Binbrook :-

Fearnley Henry, Plough inn 

Meanwell Elizabeth P. (Mrs.), Marquess of Granby inn 

The Marquess of Granby is now a private house. 

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, Marquess of Granby, inn, public house
Binbrook, Opening of Rifle Range
Binbrook, Opening of Rifle Range
Binbrook, Opening of Rifle Range

Binbrook is a village in the Lincolnshire Wolds with a population around 700 people.

The event recorded here is the opening of the Rifle Range prior to the First World War.

Nearby RAF Binbrook is now the village of Brookenby.

postcard, 1909

Binbrook, rifle range
Binbrook, Plough Inn
Binbrook, Plough Inn
Binbrook, Plough Inn

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1885 lists two public houses in Binbrook :-

Buttery William, Marquis of Granby P.H. & brewer

Chapman Hy. Plough P.H. & blacksmith

the same two public houses are again listed in 1919 :-

Fearnley Henry, Plough inn 

Meanwell Elizabeth P. (Mrs.), Marquess of Granby inn 

The Marquess of Granby is now a private house. 

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, Plough Inn, Public House
Binbrook, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Binbrook, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Binbrook, Primitive Methodist Chapel

This image shows the original 1836 building.
 
In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Market Rasen & Caistor Circuit” (Revised August 1998) Shepherdson & Mumby state :-
 

"(i) A chapel was opened on the 27.10.1836 "in a lane off the village centre".

It closed with the opening of the new one, subsequently sold and is now in use as a garage/store shed in what used to be called Ranter's Row and now called Mount Pleasant.

ii) The foundation stone for a second chapel, in Market Place, was laid on the 15.11.1877 but the building not opened until 1879.

The last service was held on the 30.12.1934.

It was sold in 1946 for conversion in to a house and butcher's shop, and is still in use as such" 

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, Primitive Methodist chapel
Binbrook, Pump & Bollards, Market Place
Binbrook, Pump & Bollards, Market Place
Binbrook, Pump & Bollards, Market Place

"Pump and 5 bollards.

1910 by Amies and Barford, Peterborough.

Cast iron.

Octagonal pillar pump with moulded base and top, decorated with relief roses and fleur de lys.

Decorated cast iron spout and swept handle.

The bollards are in the form of tapering collared cannon with balls in the mouths.

Nearby a square ashlar stone base now used for a lampstand, records that the pump was erected by public inscription in 1910"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1147879 

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, Water Pump, Bollards, Amies and Barford
Binbrook, Reading Room, High Street
Binbrook, Reading Room, High Street
Binbrook, Reading Room, High Street

The building is of two phases.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1885 states

"A parish reading-room and library was opened here in 1882, manager, Charles Greetham"

Now functions as a community meeting place.

http://http://beta.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-details/?regid=1089956&subid=0 

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, Reading Room, Charles Greetham
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel

"Binbrook Grade II listed Anglican parish church is dedicated to St Mary and St Gabriel.

There were two village churches, St Mary and St Gabriel, since disappeared.

A new church with joint dedication was built in 1869 by James Fowler"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binbrook 

A Traditionalist Church, under the See of Richborough.

http://www.forwardinfaithlincs.org.uk/aboutus.html 

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, St Mary and St Gabriel, Church, James Fowler
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"The church of SS. Mary and Gabriel, erected at a cost of about £5000, and consecrated August 3rd, I869, is a building of stone in the Early English style, from designs by the late Mr. James Fowler, architect, of Louth, and consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, organ chamber, south porch and vestry and a western tower, with broach spire, containing a clock and 3 bells.

An organ was placed in the church in I882, at a cost of about £300.

An oak chancel screen and others have been erected at a cost of about £200, and there are several stained windows and sedilia.

In 1911 a stained window was erected in the chancel to the memory of A. E. Alington, a former member of the choir.

The font, of early date, is octagonal and supported on marble shafts.

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, St Mary and St Gabriel, Churchyard, war graves
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel

Tower surmounted by a broach spire.

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, St Mary and St Gabriel, Church, James Fowler
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel

View across the nave.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1885 states

"The seating, for 550 persons, is of oak; the whole is free"

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, St Mary and St Gabriel, Church, James Fowler
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel, Churchyard
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel, Churchyard
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel, Churchyard

Many Commonwealth War Graves in the churchyard.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

The burial ground was enlarged by the addition of a piece of land presented by the Rev. Francis Edwin Allen M. A. rector 188I-6. 

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, St Mary and St Gabriel, Churchyard, Commonwealth War Graves
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel, Churchyard Cross
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel, Churchyard Cross
Binbrook, St Mary & St Gabriel, Churchyard Cross

"Churchyard cross. C14. Ashlar.

Square base block supports rectangular tapering shaft with chamfered angles surmounted by a cross with scrolled arms and central pierced quatrefoil"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1147865 

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, St Mary and St Gabriel, Church, Churchyard cross
Binbrook, War Memorial
Binbrook, War Memorial
Binbrook, War Memorial

"Binbrook War Memorial was dedicated on Easter Sunday, 27 March 1921.

It was the work of local memorial masons Messrs Mawr Bros of Louth, who were responsible for numerous other war memorials in the region, including Conisholme and Welton Le Wold.

The unveiling was carried out by Mr Walter George Moncaster and Mr Frank Soulby, former servicemen, at a ceremony led by local clergy and attended by villagers who had processed from the old Market Place.

After the Second World War, additional names were inscribed onto the memorial"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1435414 

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, St Mary and St Gabriel, Churchyard, war memorial
Binbrook, War Memorial, Market Place
Binbrook, War Memorial, Market Place
Binbrook, War Memorial, Market Place

Modern war memorial situated in the Market Place near the Manor House.

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, War memorial
Binbrook, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street
Binbrook, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street
Binbrook, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street

Image shows the third Wesleyan Methodist chapel built in 1877/78.

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Market Rasen & Caistor Circuit” (Revised August 1998) Shepherdson & Mumby state :- 

"i) A Society was formed in 1769 and a chapel built in 1796.

ii) The building of a new chapel, in the High Street, commenced in 1815 but it was not opened until the 1.9.1816. ...

iii) The foundation stone for the third chapel, on the other side of the High Street, was laid on the 15.11.1877. Designed by Bellamy & Hardy of Lincoln. the chapel opened on the 13.6.1878"

Binbrook Methodist Church left its building in 2003 :-

http://www.woldsandtrentmethodist.org.uk/churches/1-binbrook 

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, Weleyan Methodist Chapel, Bellamy & Hardy
Binbrook, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street
Binbrook, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street
Binbrook, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street

Image shows the second Wesleyan Methodist chapel built in 1815/16.

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Market Rasen & Caistor Circuit” (Revised August 1998) Shepherdson & Mumby state

"i) A Society was formed in 1769 and a chapel built in 1796.

ii) The building of a new chapel, in the High Street, commenced in 1815 but it was not opened until the 1.9.1816.

It was used as a Sunday school for many years after the opening of the third chapel in 1878.

Some time later it was sold and is now in use as a builder's store"

DB 10 October 2018

Binbrook, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Sunday school