Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Brigg
 
Brigg, Angel Hotel
Brigg, Angel Hotel
Brigg, Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel stands on the south side of the Market Place.

The enclosed courtyard to the east of the hotel was once the passage giving access to stables in the yard at the rear.

postcard by Kinsway, 1933

Brigg, Angel Hotel, Kinsway
Brigg, Bellís Mill (1)
Brigg, Bellís Mill (1)
Brigg, Bellís Mill (1)

This mill, with five floors and four sails, is the only survivor of a group of six in the town.

It was built in the 1830s by James Hart of Brigg.

Jon Sass Collection, photograph 1911

Brigg, Bell's Mill, Mill Lane, Jon Sass, James Hart
Brigg, Bellís Mill (2)
Brigg, Bellís Mill (2)
Brigg, Bellís Mill (2)

Bell's Mill was worked by wind until 1920 and later by steam engine. The driving wheel can still be seen on the side of the tower (see left in this photograph).

It is Grade II listed.

Location of mill: SE 996 065

Peter Kirk Collection, 1998

Brigg, Bell's Mill windmill, Peter Kirk
Brigg, Bigby Street
Brigg, Bigby Street
Brigg, Bigby Street

An early view along Bigby Street, looking east towards the parish church and Methodist Church.

postcard in Wrench Series published by Jackson & Sons of Brigg, undated

Brigg, Bigby Street, Wrench Series, Jackson & Sons
Brigg, Black Bull, Public House, Wrawby Street
Brigg, Black Bull, Public House, Wrawby Street
Brigg, Black Bull, Public House, Wrawby Street

Listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919

Jeffrey Blanche (Mrs.), Black Bull P.H. Wrawby street

and in 1885

Gibson Harriet (Mrs.), Black Bull P.H. 3 Wrawby street-

DB 16 December 2018

Brigg, Black Bull, Public House
Brigg, Buttercross Bell, Market Place
Brigg, Buttercross Bell, Market Place
Brigg, Buttercross Bell, Market Place

Standing near the old town hall known as the Buttercross.

"PRESENTED BY THE ROTARY CLUB OF BRIGG TO CELEBRATE 100 YEARS OF ROTARY INTERNATIONAL IN 2005"

Pitting corrosion evident. 

Bandstand visible in the background. 

DB 16 December 2018

Brigg, Buttercross Bell, Rotary Club, Rotary International
Brigg, Buttercross Town Hall, Market Place
Brigg, Buttercross Town Hall, Market Place
Brigg, Buttercross Town Hall, Market Place

"The old town hallónow known as the Buttercrossówas built in 1817"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigg 

"Small building at road junction of 2 storeys in yellow brick and slate roof. Circa 1817"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1083130 

DB 16 December 2018 

Brigg, Buttercross Town Hall
Brigg, Cadney Road
Brigg, Cadney Road
Brigg, Cadney Road

Cadney Road is the extension of Elwes Street running south from the centre of the town along the east bank of the Old River Ancholme.

In the distance is the bridge carrying the MSLR line of 1848/49 running from Sheffield to Cleethorpes. Brigg station is a short distance to the east (left).

postcard by Valentine, 1910

Brigg, Cadney Road. MSLR railway
Brigg, Dying Gladiator, Public House, Bigby Street
Brigg, Dying Gladiator, Public House, Bigby Street
Brigg, Dying Gladiator, Public House, Bigby Street

The only public house in Britain to be called "Dying Gladiator".

"Mid C18"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1083157 

DB 16 December 2018

Brigg, Dying Gladiator, Public House
Brigg, Dying Gladiator, Public House, Bigby Street
Brigg, Dying Gladiator, Public House, Bigby Street
Brigg, Dying Gladiator, Public House, Bigby Street

"Plain attached columns to doorway with realistic sculpture of dying gladiator on entablature"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1083157 

DB 16 December 2018

Brigg, Dying Gladiator, Public House
Brigg, NatWest Bank, Market Place
Brigg, NatWest Bank, Market Place
Brigg, NatWest Bank, Market Place

Former NatWest bank branch which closed 13th June 2018.

Ghost sign states "National Provincial Bank Established 1833"

The K6 type telephone kiosk visible in front of the bank is a listed structure.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1346768 

DB 16 December 2018 

 

Brigg, Bank, Natwest, National Provincial Bank, K6 type telephone kiosk
Brigg, St John the Evangelist
Brigg, St John the Evangelist
Brigg, St John the Evangelist

The tall tower of St Johnís rises above the surrounding buildings at the churchís south-east corner.

February 2015

Brigg, St John Evangelist church
Brigg, St John the Evangelist
Brigg, St John the Evangelist
Brigg, St John the Evangelist

At first glance the church appears to be built in yellow-grey brick but the material is in fact small stone blocks of irregular length laid in regular narrow courses.

February 2015

Brigg, St John Evangelist church
Brigg, St John the Evangelist
Brigg, St John the Evangelist
Brigg, St John the Evangelist

St Johnís is Early English in style and has pairs of lancet windows all along the high nave.

Designed by the Lincoln architect W A Nicholson and built in 1841-3.

February 2015

Brigg, St John Evangelist church, W A Nicholson
Brigg, St John the Evangelist
Brigg, St John the Evangelist
Brigg, St John the Evangelist

View of the church from the north showing the entrance from the High Street.

July 2016

Brigg, St John Evangelist
Brigg, St John the Evangelist and Methodist Church
Brigg, St John the Evangelist and Methodist Church
Brigg, St John the Evangelist and Methodist Church

This view looking east along Bigby Street shows the parish church of St John Evangelist with the post-war church hall in front.

Nearer the camera is the imposing facade of the Methodist Church of 1865. It was built for the Wesleyan Reform Union*, closed for worship in 1962 and demilished in 1966.

* The Wesleyan Reform Union, one of several splinter groups in Methodism, was formed in 1859. Churches were independent and self-governing; they did not join in unions of other branches of the Methodist Church. However, the Brigg WRU chapel became a member of the United Methodist connexion at some date in the second half of the 19th century.

Frith postcard, undated

Brigg, St John Evangelist, Wesleyan Reform Union
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Chancel
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Chancel
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Chancel

Church was "Built 1841-3 by W A Nicholson, some alterations in 1883 by W White"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1204035 

DB 16 December 2018

Brigg, Saint John Evangelist, church, chancel, W A Nicholson, W White
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Chancel, East Window
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Chancel, East Window
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Chancel, East Window

Three main figures are Saint David left, Christ in Glory center, and Saint John the Evangelist right holding St Johnís Church.

Below are scenes of Brigg.

DB 16 December 2018

Brigg, Saint John Evangelist, church
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Nave
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Nave
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Nave

Looking east towards the chancel.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of St. John the Evangelist, situated in the centre of the town, and rebuilt in 1842-3 on the site of the earlier church, at an expense of about £2,700, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, north and south porches and an eastern tower, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells:

the bells were retuned and hung in a new frame in 1912:

the stained west window was erected in 1894 as a memorial to the late Rev. Philip Henry Brierly M.A. vicar 1879-93:

the sedilia were presented in 1893 by Albert Cressey esq.:

part of the outside stone work was restored in 1893 at a cost of £200, and the remainder in 1911 at a cost of £142, and the south porch restored in 1896:

there are 450 sittings"

DB 16 December 2018

Brigg, Saint John Evangelist, church, nave
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Nave
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Nave
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Nave

The west window is set very high to accommodate neighbouring buildings.

"The arcades have octagonal piers and double chamfered arches"

"Very plain C19 nave benches"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1204035 

DB 16 December 2018

Brigg, Saint John Evangelist, church
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Nave, Pulpit
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Nave, Pulpit
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Nave, Pulpit

C19 pulpit.

Church was "refurnished in 1883 by the noted Victorian church architect William White"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1204035 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_White_(architect) 

DB 16 December 2018

Brigg, Saint John Evangelist, church, pulpit, William White
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Nave, West Window
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Nave, West Window
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, Nave, West Window

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"the stained west window was erected in 1894 as a memorial to the late Rev. Philip Henry Brierly M.A. vicar 1879-93"

DB 16 December 2018

Brigg, Saint John Evangelist, church, stained glass, west window
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, North Aisle, Organ
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, North Aisle, Organ
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, North Aisle, Organ

The makers plate states :-

"Bevington & Son

London 1868"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Bevington 

DB 16 December 2018

Brigg, Saint John Evangelist, church, organ, Bevington & Son
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, North Aisle, War Memorial
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, North Aisle, War Memorial
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, North Aisle, War Memorial

"Memorial dedicated by the Dean of Lincoln February 21st 1931"

https://www.lincstothepast.com/Brigg-St-John-Triptych/1579281.record?pt=S

DB 16 December 2018

Brigg, Saint John Evangelist, church, war memorial
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, South Aisle, Font
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, South Aisle, Font
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, South Aisle, Font

C19 Font.

DB 16 December 2018

Brigg, Saint John Evangelist, church, font
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, South Aisle, Window
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, South Aisle, Window
Brigg, St John the Evangelist, South Aisle, Window

Modern stained glass depicting Edward King left and Saint Hugh right.

Both former Bishops of Lincoln 

DB 16 December 2018

Brigg, Saint John Evangelist, church, stained glass
Brigg, Sugar Beet Factory
Brigg, Sugar Beet Factory
Brigg, Sugar Beet Factory

The sugar beet factory at Brigg, one of 18 run by the British Sugar Corporation, opened in 1928 and closed in 1991.

It was sited close to the New River Ancholme and the Sheffield-Cleethorpes railway about a mile south-west of the town.

A gas-powered station, now operated by Centrica, was built on an adjacent site in 1993.

postcard by Tuck, undated

Brigg, sugar beet factory, British Sugar Corporation, Centrica