Caistor Canal was intended to link the town to the New River Ancholme seven miles to the west.
Work commenced in 1795 and proceded through South Kelsey to Moortown where the canal terminated, three miles short of Caistor.
Coal and grain merchants set up business in Moortown and a large brick warehouse, now converted into a dwelling, can still be seen.
There were six locks on the canal, five of which survive to support fixed sluices in a drainage channel.
The canal, which is entirely in South Kelsey parish, closed as a navigation in about 1880.
Details of the locks and other structures are found here.