Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Cammeringham
 
Cammeringham, Manor House
Cammeringham, Manor House
Cammeringham, Manor House

Some parts of the manor House date from the twelfth century, others are extensions or rebuildings of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

It has associations with the Tyrwhitt and Chaplin families.

Pearl Wheatley, 2012

Cammeringham, Manor House, Tyrwhitt Chaplin
Cammeringham, Manor House
Cammeringham, Manor House
Cammeringham, Manor House

"Manor house. Mid C12, early C18, Cl9 ... Originally seat of Tyrwhitt family, sold to Chaplin family early in C18 for £20,000"

DB 19 November 2020

Cammeringham, Manor House, Tyrwhitt Chaplin
Cammeringham, Manor House, Fish Pond
Cammeringham, Manor House, Fish Pond
Cammeringham, Manor House, Fish Pond

View into the Manor House grounds from Cammeringham Hill at National Grid Reference SK 950 820.

Marked as a Fish Pond on the OS 25 inch map published 1906 with a sheepwash near the viewpoint.

Part of a medieval moat remains intact in the grounds.

DB 19 November 2020

Cammeringham, Manor House, Moat, fish pond
Cammeringham, Manor House, Gate Piers
Cammeringham, Manor House, Gate Piers
Cammeringham, Manor House, Gate Piers

"Pair of gate piers. Early C18"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359846 

DB 19 November 2020

Cammeringham, Manor House, Gate Piers
Cammeringham, Manor House, interior
Cammeringham, Manor House, interior
Cammeringham, Manor House, interior

One of the rooms in the Manor House has twelfth-century vaulting.

Pearl Wheatley, 2012

Cammeringham, Manor House
Cammeringham, Pump / Well
Cammeringham, Pump / Well
Cammeringham, Pump / Well

Semicircular indentation in wall facing the B1398 at National Grid Reference SK 948 820 almost opposite the junction with Back Lane.

Marked as a pump on the OS 25 inch map published 1886 and as a well on the map published 1906.

DB 19 November 2020

Cammeringham, Pump, well
Cammeringham, St Michael
Cammeringham, St Michael
Cammeringham, St Michael

This view of St Michaelís from the west shows the prominent bellcote attached to a relatively small nave and chancel.

The former Norman arcade can be seen in outline within the present north wall (to the left).

June 2008

Cammeringham, St Michael, Tyrwitt, Norman arcade
Cammeringham, St Michael
Cammeringham, St Michael
Cammeringham, St Michael

St Michaelís now consists only of a small nave with bellcote and chancel.  This view of the east end shows how close the building is to the modern road (B1398).

The Tyrwitt family once had a seat here, and in the chancel is an elegant memorial to Mrs Jane Tyrwitt d 1657.

June 2008

Cammeringham, St Micael, Tyrwitt, Norman arcade
Cammeringham, St Michael
Cammeringham, St Michael
Cammeringham, St Michael

Kelly's Directory 1919 states "The church of St. Michael is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a western turret:

the present church is but a remnant of a much larger building in the Perpendicular style; it formerly had a south aisle, the built-up arcade of which now forms the north side of the structure:

in the churchyard graves have been discovered from time to time very skilfully fashioned in the rock, after the ancient form of the "kistvaen :"

in the church is an ancient monument of the Tyrwhitt family, ancestors of Viscount Oxenbridge:

there are 90 sittings"

DB 19 November 2020

Cammeringham, Saint Michael, church, image
Cammeringham, St Michael
Cammeringham, St Michael
Cammeringham, St Michael

White's Directory 1872 states "CAMMERINGHAM, a secluded village, 7Ĺ miles N. by W. of Lincoln, has in its parish 139 souls and 1806 acres, including the two farms of Furze Hill (170A.), which belong to Admiral d'Eyncourt and Miss Hurdis.

The rest of the parish is the property of Lord Monson, the lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the Church (St. Michael), which has been considerably reduced from its original dimensions, and contains several monuments, one with a lengthy inscription in memory of the Tyrwhitt family, who were formerly proprietors of the parish"

DB 19 November 2020

Cammeringham, Saint Michael, church, image
Cammeringham, St Michael
Cammeringham, St Michael
Cammeringham, St Michael

"Cammeringham Grade II* listed Anglican church is dedicated to St Michael.

St Michael's is a remnant of a much larger church; arches from the earlier building are embedded into its aisle wall, and the west doorway has a pre-Conquest knotwork sill.

The graveyard holds ancient graves hollowed out of the rock.

Within the parish was the Praemonstratensian Cammeringham Priory, founded by Richard de Haya about 1160 as an alien cell to the Abbey of Blanchelande in Normandy.

The priory and its rights was sold in 1396 to the Cistercian Abbot of Hulton in Staffordshire"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cammeringham 

DB 19 November 2020

Cammeringham, Saint Michael, church, image
Cammeringham, St Michael
Cammeringham, St Michael
Cammeringham, St Michael

"C18 north wall of nave plain except for outline of one and a half large round headed C12 arcade bays, and red brick eaves.

Lower chancel with outline of blocked C14 bay and red brick eaves"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063342 

DB 19 November 2020

Cammeringham, Saint Michael, church, image