Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Caythorpe
 
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Hall
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Hall
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Hall

A distant view of Caythorpe Hall from public footpath to the west.

"Country House; 1823 by William Parsons, for Col. G. Hussey Packe"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1165323 

White's Directory 1872 states "George Hussey Packe, Esq., owns half of the soil, and is lord of the manor.

His seat is Caythorpe Hall, a handsome stone mansion, built in 1823-4, near the site of the old hall, which was the residence of Sir Giles Hussey, Knight, who was with the Earl of Surrey at the sacking of Morlaix, in France, in 1552.

It has since been considerably enlarged and improved"

DB 20 December 2020

Caythorpe Hall, William Parsons, Col. G. Hussey Packe
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Hall, Ice House
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Hall, Ice House
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Hall, Ice House

Remains of "Ice House, circa 1823".

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062433 

Located next to Fish Ponds at National Grid Reference SK 94086 48772.

DB 22 November 2020

Caythorpe, Ice House to Caythorpe Hall
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Hall, Lodge & Gates
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Hall, Lodge & Gates
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Hall, Lodge & Gates

"Lodge and gate; 1823 by William Parsons, with C20 additions and alterations"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1360267 

DB 22 November 2020

Caythorpe, Lodge & Gates, William Parsons
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Court
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Court
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Court

Caythorpe Court is constructed in local Ancaster limestone with bands of ironstone - also local.

T R Leach Collection, undated postcard


Caythorpe, Caythorpe Court
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Court
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Court
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Court

Caythorpe Court was built in 1899 by Reginald Blomfield.

T R Leach Collection, undated postcard

Caythorpe, Caythorpe Court, Reginald Blomfield
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Court
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Court
Caythorpe, Caythorpe Court

Caythorpe Court was built for Edgar Lubbock of Grantham before becoming the home of the Yerburgh family. It then served as the base for the Kesteven Farm Institute (later the Lincolnshire College of Agriculture) and today is a PGL holiday centre for children and adults.

T R Leach Collection, undated postcard.

Caythorpe, Caythorpe Court, Yerburgh
Caythorpe, Holy Cross
Caythorpe, Holy Cross
Caythorpe, Holy Cross

Holy Cross consisted of a gabled C17 wing with later windows & parapet. Another wing, in the Queen Anne style, was added around 1900 by Colonel Royds MP. It was demolished around 1965.

N.H. Series postcard postmarked 1911 

Caythorpe, Holy Cross
Caythorpe, Methodist Chapel
Caythorpe, Methodist Chapel
Caythorpe, Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.

"The first chapel was built in 1824, but was replaced by a new chapel in 1851, which closed in 1982"

https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/705/methc_caythorpe.pdf

Building now occupied by Decorative Country Living Ltd.

https://decorativecountryliving.com 

DB 25 April 2018

Caythorpe, Wesleyan, Methodist, Chapel, Decorative Country Living Ltd
Caythorpe, Pickworth House
Caythorpe, Pickworth House
Caythorpe, Pickworth House

Previously known as "Ivy House".

Dated 1684 above the front door but with C18 and C19 alterations.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062396 

DB 25 April 2018 

 

Caythorpe, Pickworth House, Ivy House
Caythorpe, Primary School
Caythorpe, Primary School
Caythorpe, Primary School

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1876 states that a "School Board was formed 1875 and a school erected to hold 150 children". Also stated that Edward William West was master.

Now Caythorpe Primary School. 

DB 25 April 2018

Caythorpe, Primary, School, Board, Edward William West
Caythorpe, Primary School, County Library Sign
Caythorpe, Primary School, County Library Sign
Caythorpe, Primary School, County Library Sign

County library sign displayed on the outside of what is now Caythorpe Primary School

DB 25 April 2018

Caythorpe, Primary, School, Library, Sign
Caythorpe, Red Lion
Caythorpe, Red Lion
Caythorpe, Red Lion

"Public House, formerly house, 1650 with C19 and C20 additions and alterations"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062400

DB 25 April 2018

Caythorpe, Red Lion, Public House
Caythorpe, Red Lion
Caythorpe, Red Lion
Caythorpe, Red Lion

"Inscribed stone plaque with initials TC and dated 1650"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062400 

DB 19 December 2020

Caythorpe, Red Lion, Public House
Caythorpe, School
Caythorpe, School
Caythorpe, School

"Former school, now house; 1838"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1360306

DB 25 April 2018

Caythorpe, School
Caythorpe, St Vincent
Caythorpe, St Vincent
Caythorpe, St Vincent

Viewed from the west.

"Parish Church. C13, C14, C16, C17, C18, 1860 addition and restoration by Sir G. G. Scott.

Nave, north aisle, central tower, north and south aisle 'stubs', chancel.

Coursed and banded ironstone and limestone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings, slate roofs"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1317320 

DB 25 April 2018

Caythorpe, Saint Vincent, Church
Caythorpe, St Vincent
Caythorpe, St Vincent
Caythorpe, St Vincent

Viewed from the east.

"The east and south walls of the chancel were rebuilt in the C19 above the band at sill level"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1317320 

DB 25 April 2018

Caythorpe, Saint Vincent, Church
Caythorpe, St Vincent
Caythorpe, St Vincent
Caythorpe, St Vincent

Kelly's Directory 1919 states "The church of St. Vincent is a cruciform edifice of Ancaster stone, in the Early and Late Decorated and Perpendicular styles, principally Early Decorated, and consists of chancel, transept, double nave, south porch and a central tower, with spire, containing 8 very fine bells and a clock, presented by the late Colonel George Hussey Packe;

the most singular feature in this church is the nave, which divided longitudinally by an arcade of tall light octagonal columns with well-moulded capitals, carrying plain wide arches, springing from between two handsome windows at the west end; a north aisle was added in 1860:

the tower is surmounted by a pierced parapet and four pinnacles, attached by four flying buttresses to the crocketed spire, which is one of singular beauty, rising to a height of about 156 feet the latter was struck by lightning Dec. 30, 1859 when the upper portion fell through the roofs of the chancel and transepts; the spire, as now rebuilt, is somewhat shorter than previously:

the north aisle was added 1860, from a design by the late Sir G. G. Scott R.A.:

the font is decorated:

over the tower arch are remains of mural paintings of the "Last Judgment," and of archangel Michael weighing souls; and on either side of this arch are marble monuments to Sir Charles Hussey bart. .ob. 1698, and his wife, and Sir Edward Hussey bart. his son, and M.P. for Lincoln, ob. 16 Feb. 1725; both transepts have served as chapels, and retain aumbries, and one a statue bracket:

the north and east windows are in memory of the Rev. C. D. Crofts, rector 1847-93 and his wife, erected by the family and the south stained window was erected to the Rev. E.T. Lewis, rector 1893-98:

there are 504 sitting"

DB 22 November 2020

Caythorpe, Saint Vincent, Church
Caythorpe, St Vincent
Caythorpe, St Vincent
Caythorpe, St Vincent

White's Directory 1872 states :-

"The Church (St. Vincent), which consists of a double nave of two equal portions, covered by one roof, chancel, north aisle, north and south transepts, south porch, and a central tower and crocketed spire of good proportions, is a very interesting cruciform structure, belonging chiefly to the latter part of the Geometrical period.

The tower contains eight bells and a clock, and has a pierced parapet. The spire was erected in 1861, in lieu of the previous one, which was struck by lightning, December 30th, 1859, and which in its fall destroyed the chancel roof, and other parts of the building.

In 1861, a north aisle was added, the chancel newly roofed, the old pews replaced by open oak benches, and the whole interior of the church thoroughly restored, at an expense of about £3400, towards which a sum of £1000 was given by G. H. Packe, Esq., £1400 raised by subscription, and the remainder by parish rate.

A new organ, built by Messrs. Forster and Andrews, of Hull, at a cost of £270, was placed in the church in April, 1871.

In the chancel are several handsome monuments, belonging to the Hussey family"

DB 14 December 2020 

Caythorpe, Saint Vincent, Church
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Churchyard Cross
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Churchyard Cross
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Churchyard Cross

"Churchyard cross, C14 with additions of 1906" 

"a good example of a medieval standing cross with a quadrangular socket-stone and octagonal shaft"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1009225 

DB 25 April 2018

Caythorpe, Saint Vincent, Churchyard Cross
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Churchyard Wall
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Churchyard Wall
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Churchyard Wall

Stone tablet in the churchyard wall, recording that an oak tree was planted nearby, in commemoration of Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee 1837–1897.

DB 19 December 2020

Caythorpe, Saint Vincent, Churchyard, Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Edmund Weaver Memorial
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Edmund Weaver Memorial
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Edmund Weaver Memorial

Memorial south chancel.

"In Memory of MR EDMUND WEAVER who by his own Industry from a low Education made very great Progress in the Liberal Arts and was justly Esteemed one of the best Astronomers of ye Age.

In Private Life a tender Husband an indulgent Father A quiet Neighbour A cheerful Companion A sincere Friend and a good Churchman. he Departed this Life in a faithful assurance of a better, Dec y 27, 1748 aged 65 years"

"an English astronomer, land surveyor, and friend to William Stukeley. Weaver's The British Telescope ephemerides (astronomical tables) is considered an important 18th-century publication on the movement of planets"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Weaver_(astronomer) 

Lincoln University, School of Mathematics and Physics, held the first annual Edmund Weaver Lecture in Astronomy on 11 October 2017.

DB 25 April 2018

Caythorpe, Saint Vincent, Church, Edmund Weaver, astronomer, land surveyor, Stukeley, ephemerides
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Font
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Font
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Font

"Font is C19 octagonal and chalice shaped"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1317320 

DB 25 April 2018

Caythorpe, Saint Vincent, Church, Font
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Hussey monument
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Hussey monument
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Hussey monument

The monument to Sir Charles Hussey who died in 1664.

It is signed by W Palmer and actually dates from 1730.

January 2018

Caythorpe, St Vincent, Sir Charles Hussey, W Palmer
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Nave
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Nave
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Nave

"Inside, the C13 nave is divided down the middle by a 2 1/2 bay arcade supported on slender octagonal piers with circular capitals"

"At the west end of the nave is a C17 pillar type poor box with a contemporary painted board"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1317320 

DB 25 April 2018

Caythorpe, Saint Vincent, Church
Caythorpe, St Vincent, poor box
Caythorpe, St Vincent, poor box
Caythorpe, St Vincent, poor box

The original poor box at the back of the nave. The hasps appear to be old; the padlock is clearly modern.

January 2018

Caythorpe, St Vincent, poor box
Caythorpe, St Vincent, South Door
Caythorpe, St Vincent, South Door
Caythorpe, St Vincent, South Door

"South door has a cusped head surmounted by a slightly ogee headed hood mould and a croketed gable containing a seated figure of the Virgin which is flanked by pinnacles which are cut by the porch roof"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1317320 

DB 25 April 2018 

Caythorpe, Saint Vincent, Church, South Door
Caythorpe, St Vincent, South Porch
Caythorpe, St Vincent, South Porch
Caythorpe, St Vincent, South Porch

"South porch in ashlar with plinth and banded work above, C14 with a pointed moulded arch in the outer face, side benches. 

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1317320  

DB 25 April 2018

Caythorpe, Saint Vincent, Church, Porch
Caythorpe, St Vincent, South Porch, Footprints
Caythorpe, St Vincent, South Porch, Footprints
Caythorpe, St Vincent, South Porch, Footprints

Footprints inside the south porch.

Several different feet outlined on the stone benches either side of the porch.

Origins unknown but may be C17.

DB 25 April 2018

Caythorpe, Saint Vincent, Church, Footprints, South Porch
Caythorpe, St Vincent, South Porch, Mass Dial
Caythorpe, St Vincent, South Porch, Mass Dial
Caythorpe, St Vincent, South Porch, Mass Dial

Several mass dials visible, on the external porch wall, to the right of the entrance.

"Some 3,000 mass, tide or scratch dials have been recorded in the UK.

Typically located on the south wall of a parish church, this form of sundial was used to mark the ‘variable’ time of liturgical services in the medieval world."

http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/mass-dials/mass-dials.htm

See also

http://sundialsoc.org.uk/dials_menu/mass-dials/ 

DB 25 April 2018

Caythorpe, Saint Vincent, Church, Mass Dial, Scratch Dial
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Stained Glass
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Stained Glass
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Stained Glass

"The North Aisle, called the "Arnhem Aisle" has two stained glass windows dedicated to those members of the Airborne Signals and the 216th Parachute Signals Squadron who lost their lives"

https://historicengland.org.uk/services-skills/grants/visit/st-vincent-church-lane-ng32-3du/

DB 28 April 2018

Caythorpe, Saint Vincent, Church, image, window, stained glass
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Stained Glass
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Stained Glass
Caythorpe, St Vincent, Stained Glass

"Yearly memorial services for the No. 216 Parachute Signals Squadron have been hosted at St Vincent’s on the first Sunday in September.

The Regiment was stationed at Caythorpe, and took part in the Second World War 1944 Operation Market Garden.

Stained glass windows were installed in the north aisle in 1994, a memorial to the Airborne Signals (Royal Corps of Signals), and to those of its number who died in the 1982 Falklands War and other historic campaigns"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Vincent%27s_Church,_Caythorpe 

DB 28 April 2018

Caythorpe, Saint Vincent, Church, image, window, stained glass, Parachute Signals
Caythorpe, Waggon & Horses, Public House
Caythorpe, Waggon & Horses, Public House
Caythorpe, Waggon & Horses, Public House
Caythorpe, Waggon & Horses, Public House
Caythorpe, War Memorial
Caythorpe, War Memorial
Caythorpe, War Memorial

Panoramic view between the Old Rectory on the left and Saint Vincent's church on the right. 

"Caythorpe Memorial Cross was unveiled on 10 October 1920. It is modeled on Sir Reginald Blomfield’s Cross of Sacrifice and was supplied by Messrs HT Jenkins and Sons, marble merchants of Torquay, at a cost of £240"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1438056 

DB 25 April 2018

Caythorpe, War Memorial
Caythorpe, War Memorial, Avro Lancaster PB 812
Caythorpe, War Memorial, Avro Lancaster PB 812
Caythorpe, War Memorial, Avro Lancaster PB 812

"IN MEMORY OF THE VALOUR AND SACRIFICE OF THE LAST CREW OF AVRO LANCASTER PB 812, AR-Y 460 SQUADRON RAAF WHICH CRASHED NEAR THE OLD CAYTHORPE RAILWAY STATION AT 15:50 ON 10 FEBRUARY 1945 WITH THE LOSS OF ALL ON BOARD"

Located next to Saint Vincent's Churchyard.  

DB 25 April 2018

Caythorpe, War Memorial, AVRO LANCASTER, PB 812, 460 SQUADRON RAAF
Caythorpe, War Memorial, Avro Lancaster PB 812
Caythorpe, War Memorial, Avro Lancaster PB 812
Caythorpe, War Memorial, Avro Lancaster PB 812

Reported in the Sleaford Standard 17 September 2016 that "On February 10, 1945, Lancaster PB812 of 460 Squadron was on its way back to RAF Binbrook when it caught fire, went into a dive and crashed close to the old railway station ... 

A memorial service was held in Caythorpe on Saturday in St Vincent’s Church in the village led by Venerable Air Vice-Marshall Brian Lucas.

The service was followed by the dedication of a plaque on the church wall and the unveiling of a memorial stone in Love Lane, close to the crash site". 

DB 20 December 2020

Caythorpe, Lancaster Memorial
Caythorpe, War Memorial, Parachute Signals
Caythorpe, War Memorial, Parachute Signals
Caythorpe, War Memorial, Parachute Signals

Falklands island campaign 1982.

Located next to Saint Vincent's Churchyard.  

DB 19 December 2020

Caythorpe, War Memorial, Parachute Signals, Falklands island campaign
Caythorpe, War Memorial, The Falkland Stone
Caythorpe, War Memorial, The Falkland Stone
Caythorpe, War Memorial, The Falkland Stone

"THIS STONE WAS RECOVERED THE 8000 MILES FROM THE FALKLAND ISLANDS IN ORDER TO COMMEMORATE THOSE MEMBERS OF 5 INFANTRY BRIGADE SIGNAL SQUADRON KILLED ON OPERATION CORPORATE IN 1982"

Located next to Saint Vincent's Churchyard. 

DB 25 April 2018 

 

Caythorpe, Falkland Islands, Stone, War Memorial, Operation Corporate, 5 Infantry Brigade, Signal