Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Covenham St Bartholomew
 
Covenham St Bartholomew, Free Methodist Chapel
Covenham St Bartholomew, Free Methodist Chapel
Covenham St Bartholomew, Free Methodist Chapel

The Free Methodist / United Methodist chapel for the two Covenhams was built in 1854 and closed in b.1980.

September 1980



Covenham St Bartholomew, Free Methodist Church
Covenham St Bartholomew, Free Methodist Chapel
Covenham St Bartholomew, Free Methodist Chapel
Covenham St Bartholomew, Free Methodist Chapel

The date plaque for the chapel is midway along the east elevation, facing the road.

September 2020

 

Covenham St Bartholomew, Free Methodist Chruch
Covenham St Bartholomew
Covenham St Bartholomew
Covenham St Bartholomew

St Bartholomew’s is largely of chalk and dates from the late 14th century. Originally cruciform, the building now lacks its north transept.

The slate-covered tower and the porch are perhaps 15th century.  Declared redundant in 1981.

June 2015

Covenham St Bartholomew, church
Covenham St Bartholomew
Covenham St Bartholomew
Covenham St Bartholomew

The chancel walls are essentially 14th century work. The east window, and those of the nave, date from restorations in the 1850s and 60s.

June 2015

Covenham St Bartholomew, church
Covenham St Bartholomew
Covenham St Bartholomew
Covenham St Bartholomew

Though largely built of chalk blocks, some greenstone and limestone have been used, and the church has been much patched with brick – possibly in the 18th century.

Welsh slate was introduced as roofing material - presumably in the 19th century - and the same material now clads much of the stumpy square tower.

June 2015

Covenham St Bartholomew, church