Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
East Ravendale
 
East Ravendale, Primary School
East Ravendale, Primary School
East Ravendale, Primary School

This was built in 1867 as a National School also serving the neighbouring villages of Ashby cum Fenby, Brigsley, Hawerby and West Ravendale.

The architect was James Fowler of Louth, his first joint school and church project when he was 29.

June 2014

East Ravendale, primary school, James Fowler
East Ravendale, St Martin
East Ravendale, St Martin
East Ravendale, St Martin

An off-the-peg Fowler of Louth church of 1857, St Martinís in East Ravendale sits next to the village school by the same architect.

The lancet windows with stained glass (one by Burne-Jones and the east window by Kempe) suggests a gloomy interior though there is no sign of how to find a key.

Mark Acton, 2014

East Ravendale, St Martin church, James Fowler, Burne-Jones, Kempe
East Ravendale, St Martin
East Ravendale, St Martin
East Ravendale, St Martin

View from the south of porch and nave.

June 2014

East Ravendale, St Martin church
East Ravendale, St Martin
East Ravendale, St Martin
East Ravendale, St Martin

View of the west elevation of St Martin's shows the Early English style lancet windows and the bellcote.

The church is built of ironstone with limestone dressings.

June 2014

East Ravendale, St Martin church
East Ravendale, St Martin, label stop
East Ravendale, St Martin, label stop
East Ravendale, St Martin, label stop
All the lancet windows designed by James Fowler in Early English style have hood moulding ending in decorated 'organic' stops.
East Ravendale, St Martin church, label stop