Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Farforth
 
Farforth, St Peter
Farforth, St Peter
Farforth, St Peter

Built in 1861, St Peter’s has lancet windows to nave and chancel, and a bell-cote at the west end.

Inside is a reused 13th century chancel arch and a 15th century font.

Sheep graze in the churchyard.  This an isolated and beautiful part of the Wolds.

September 2006

Farforth, St Peter church lancet windows
Farforth, St Peter
Farforth, St Peter
Farforth, St Peter

Farforth St Peter from south.

The present St Peter’s church dates from 1861 when, the previous church having become dilapidated, a major rebuilding was undertaken largely at the expense of the family of the late William and Frances Ostlear of Farforth House, and Basingstoke Corporation who owned the neighbouring hamlet of Maidenwell. 

The church is Grade II listed.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063698

Jean Howard, April 2018

Farforth, Saint Peter Church, image
Farforth, St Peter
Farforth, St Peter
Farforth, St Peter

Farforth St Peter from the south east

The Spilsby sandstone which is used in many areas of the building suggests re-use of the best material of the predecessor on the site.

The windows are of Early English style with three stepped lancets for the east window.

As can be seen, the ground falls away to the south and east where blocks of limestone ashlar in the clasping buttresses have been used to ensure stability of the structure.  This was probably part of repairs in 1904 when a structural report had highlighted concerns with the foundations of the south wall and the stability of the chancel arch.

Jean Howard, April 2018

Farforth, Saint Peter Church, image
Farforth, St Peter, East Window
Farforth, St Peter, East Window
Farforth, St Peter, East Window

The east window shows the Ascension of Christ into Heaven.

Farforth had no stained glass until 1993 when these panels were saved from Cumberworth St Helen’s church subsequent to its being made redundant in 1986 and sold.

Jean Howard, April 2018

Farforth, Saint Peter Church, image, Stained Glass, Window
Farforth, St Peter, East Window Inscription
Farforth, St Peter, East Window Inscription
Farforth, St Peter, East Window Inscription

The Clark family held the tenancy of the farmland at Maidenwell from Basingstoke Corporation from early in the 20th century until recently.

Jean Howard, April 2018

Farforth, Saint Peter Church, image, Stained Glass, Window
Farforth, St Peter, Embroidery Panels
Farforth, St Peter, Embroidery Panels
Farforth, St Peter, Embroidery Panels

These two large glazed panels are cross-stitch embroidery on dark blue velvet.  They are verses of Psalm 119, the first panel of verses 1-16, the other of verses 25-40, which perhaps indicates that a third one is missing.

Jean Howard, April 2018

Farforth, Saint Peter Church, image, Embroidery
Farforth, St Peter, Interior
Farforth, St Peter, Interior
Farforth, St Peter, Interior

Looking east, the chancel arch is late 13th century as are the shafts around the east window.

Jean Howard, April 2018

Farforth, Saint Peter Church, image
Farforth, St Peter, Interior
Farforth, St Peter, Interior
Farforth, St Peter, Interior

The interior view looking west from the chancel.

The detail of the chancel arch in the foreground is rather curious in that the capitals are wider than the shafts beneath, doubtless the result of re-use of the best old materials. 

The brown and terracotta floor tiles used throughout have an unusual design of impressed curving lines.

At the west end can be seen a pair of lancets and a vessica window above.

Jean Howard, April 2018

Farforth, Saint Peter Church, image
Farforth, St Peter, Ledger
Farforth, St Peter, Ledger
Farforth, St Peter, Ledger

Also saved from the earlier church is this ledger for Ann Mosley ‘who departed this life Feb ye 17th 1742 Aged 17’. 

In an engraved circle are the cross and three nails of Christ’s crucifixion and the letters ‘IHS’, the first three letters of Jesus in Greek.

Jean Howard, April 2018

Farforth, Saint Peter Church, image, Mosley
Farforth, St Peter, Memorial Tablet
Farforth, St Peter, Memorial Tablet
Farforth, St Peter, Memorial Tablet

G H Browne was the tenant of Maidenwell farm from c 1860, when the Allenby family moved from Maidenwell to Cadwell Hall. 

The Brownes remained at Maidenwell into the 20th century when the Clarke family began their tenancy.

Jean Howard, April 2018

Farforth, Saint Peter Church, image, G H Browne
Farforth, St Peter, Memorial Tablet
Farforth, St Peter, Memorial Tablet
Farforth, St Peter, Memorial Tablet

This small tablet is in memory of a baby.  It reads;

Here/ lyeth the/ Body of Jho/ Son of Geo:/ Dunham &/ Mary his W/ife Enterd/ Feb ye 29’ 1725/ Aged 6/ Months/ Momento Mori.

It has an attractive border of tulips, daisies and thistles.

Jean Howard, April 2018

Farforth, Saint Peter Church, image, Dunham
Farforth, St Peter, Memorial Tablet
Farforth, St Peter, Memorial Tablet
Farforth, St Peter, Memorial Tablet

William John Oslear and his wife Frances lived at Farforth House, just below the church, and the rebuilding of St Peter’s in 1861 was partly funded by their executors.  The text is becoming difficult to read, but it says:

To/ the glory of/ GOD/ and in memory of/ William Oslear/ who died April XXIXth MDCCCLVIII/ and/ Frances Oslear/ his wife/ who died May XIXth MDCCCLVIII/ each aged/ LXX years

It is said that the family name had been Osley and that the family had been associated with Farforth for over 150 years.

Jean Howard, April 2018

Farforth, Saint Peter Church, image, Oslear