Built c1730 with four common sails. It was on the landward side of the Main Road to the north of the Barley Mow in an area which until the end of the 19th century was called ‘The Floors’ – indicating a site of medieval salt pans.
At the time of this photograph, Friskney also had two tower mills – Kitching’s Mill at Fold Hill and Hoyle’s Mill at the Low Road boundary with Wainfleet St Mary (the dumpy tower of Hoyle’s mill is the only present-day survivor).
There is a mound about half a mile to the west of the church called ‘Mill Hill’. Was this the site of a much earlier post mill? Edward Kealey, in his book Harvesting the Air, Windmill Pioneers of Twelfth-Century England cites a charter, dated no later than 1189, recording the gift of a Friskney windmill and saltpans by Gilbert of Benniworth to the nuns of North Ormsby.
Postcard: c1920 (photograph by Rex Wailes, author of The English Windmill)