This delightful temple - commonly known as 'the chateau' - was built in 1747 by James Paine for Gate Buron Hall.
Rod Callow, 2008
The east front of the chateau.
This house was built by William Hutton in 1768 and was occupied by the Hutton family until 1908 when it was sold to J D Sandars.
Sandars and the son who succeeded him after the First World War made alterations to the north front and also to the interior (in 1934).
The nave wall has windows with cusped tracery of different designs, separated by buttresses.
The tower is topped with an ornamental parapet, gargoyles and ornate pinnacles.
St Helen’s lies in parkland not far from Gate Burton Hall.
The church comprises chancel, nave and west tower, and was built by Sir G G Scott in 1866.
Described by Pevsner as a ‘good estate church’.
The interior furnishings including the ornate altar and painted triptych, are all 19th century.
The church has, however, a 12th century drum font.