Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Great Humby
 
Great Humby, Chapel
Great Humby, Chapel
Great Humby, Chapel

This tiny chapel with its mullioned windows and western bell-cote dates from 1682, but was rebuilt and reduced in size in 1754.

The building was originally the private chapel of the now demolished Humby Hall, the then home of the Brownlow family.

April 2012

 

Great Humby, chapel, Brownlow, Humby Hall
Great Humby, Chapel
Great Humby, Chapel
Great Humby, Chapel

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"HUMBY is a chapelry, 3.5 miles south-east and 7 east-by-south from Grantham, and comprises the hamlets of Great Humby in this parish and Little Humby in Ropsley parish, amalgamated under the name of Humby, March 25th, 1887.

The chapel, consisting of a very small nave only, was originally the private chapel of the Brownlow family, the former possessors of the Hall, which stood close by, and traces of the foundations of which still exist:

the chapel was restored in 1876, chiefly at the expense af J. Murgatroyd esq. the principal landowner.

The area is 1494 acres; rateable value, £I,087; population in 1911, 110"

DB 22 March 2019 

Great Humby, Chapel
Great Humby, Chapel
Great Humby, Chapel
Great Humby, Chapel

Looking east towards the altar.

"Chapel of Ease to Old Somerby and private chapel to the now demolished Great Humby Hall.

Originally built c.1680's but rebuilt 1754 and with minor alterations in 1876 and 1980"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1253290  

DB 22 March 2019 

Great Humby, Chapel
Great Humby, Chapel
Great Humby, Chapel
Great Humby, Chapel

Looking west towards the entrance.

"Interior refitted in 1876 with pews and lectern"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1253290 

DB 22 March 2019 

Great Humby, Chapel
Great Humby, Chapel, Churchyard
Great Humby, Chapel, Churchyard
Great Humby, Chapel, Churchyard

Picturesque location next to pond.

DB 22 March 2019 

Great Humby, Chapel
Great Humby, Chapel, Font
Great Humby, Chapel, Font
Great Humby, Chapel, Font

"C14 octagonal font with panels of traceried design"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1253290 

DB 22 March 2019 

Great Humby, Chapel, font
Great Humby, Chapel, Reading Desk
Great Humby, Chapel, Reading Desk
Great Humby, Chapel, Reading Desk

A notice displayed on the chapel noticeboard in part reads :-

"It is known that at the beginning of the eighteenth century the Services were once a Sunday at Somerby Church, and once at Humby Chapel, and this arrangement continued down to a time within the memory of persons still living.

In 1876 the Chapel was re-roofed and the Interior renovated, the whitewash was cleaned off the walls, open seats were substituted for square pews, and a new font provided. Parts at least of the old pulpit and reading desk were preserved in their modern successors. 

After this restoration, services continued until 1961, when the Chapel was closed. Shortly afterwards, all the contents were removed and the building abandoned until 1979, when the Lincolnshire Old Churches Trust was granted a lease of it. After repairs to the roof, bellcote and floor the Chapel was reopened on 20 July 1980"

DB 22 March 2019

Great Humby, Chapel, Reading Desk
Great Humby, Hall (Site of)
Great Humby, Hall (Site of)
Great Humby, Hall (Site of)

Site of Great Humby Hall in a field immediately to the north of the chapel.

"Next to the chapel stood Great Humby Hall. Built in the 13th century it became a larger hall by the 17th, the probable date it was pulled down"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Humby 

A notice displayed on the chapel noticeboard in part reads :-

"Sir William Brownlow resided at the Hall, now destroyed, and died there, 14 December 1666. In his time there was a rebuilding of the Chapel, and externally it was made as we see it today. 

The next owner, Sir Richard, survived his father only two years. His widow, to whom there is a fine monument at Somerby, presented to Humby Chapel, in 1683, a handsome set of plate for use in the Holy Communion"

DB 22 March 2019 

Great Humby, Hall, Sir William Brownlow