Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Grimoldby
 
Grimoldby, Eastfields, Mill Lane
Grimoldby, Eastfields, Mill Lane
Grimoldby, Eastfields, Mill Lane

Delightfully situated at the end of a short lane is this timber-framed thatched cottage.

Originally seventeenth century, it has been modified several times and is Grade II listed.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359985 

Jean Howard, 21 March 2021

Grimoldby, Eastfields, Cottage
Grimoldby, Free Methodist Chapel
Grimoldby, Free Methodist Chapel
Grimoldby, Free Methodist Chapel

This small building stands alongside the footway in Tinkle Street.
 
It was built in 1855 for the Free Methodists, later the United Methodist Church. It closed for worship in November 1933 but was subsequently used as a Methodist Sunday school until the 1980s. It appears to have been disused for some years.
 
Close by is displayed a planning notice relating to housing development behind it.

Jean Howard, 21 March 2021

Grimoldby, Free Chapel, Methodist
Grimoldby, Free Methodist Chapel
Grimoldby, Free Methodist Chapel
Grimoldby, Free Methodist Chapel

The original date plaque for the village's former Free Methodist Church, founded in 1855.

Jean Howard, 21 March 2021

Grimoldby, Free Chapel methodist
Grimoldby, Ivy House Farm, Pick Hill Lane
Grimoldby, Ivy House Farm, Pick Hill Lane
Grimoldby, Ivy House Farm, Pick Hill Lane

A traditional red brick and slate roofed farmhouse with smartly maintained farm buildings.
 
The house is late eighteenth century with tumbled gables and a raised band across the front where the upper floor supports rest.
 
It is Grade II listed: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063046 

Jean Howard, 21 March 2021

Grimoldby, Ivy House Farm, Pick Hill Lane
Grimoldby, Railway Crossing Gate, Tinkle Street
Grimoldby, Railway Crossing Gate, Tinkle Street
Grimoldby, Railway Crossing Gate, Tinkle Street

This gate serves as entrance gate for what is now a private residence but was until 1960 Grimoldby’s railway station.

The position of the level crossing was about twenty yards north of this point.

Jean Howard, December 2020  

Grimoldby, railway crossing gate Tinkle Street
Grimoldby, Railway Gatehouse
Grimoldby, Railway Gatehouse
Grimoldby, Railway Gatehouse

On Eastfield Lane is the former gatehouse of a railway crossing on the Louth to Mablethorpe railway line (built as the Louth & East Coast Railway).
 
A crossing keeper would have lived here from 1877-1960.

Jean Howard, 
21 March 2021

Grimoldby, Railway Gatehouse
Grimoldby, Railway Station, Tinkle Street
Grimoldby, Railway Station, Tinkle Street
Grimoldby, Railway Station, Tinkle Street

Grimoldby station opened on 17 October 1877 on the Louth & East Coast Railway. The line closed on 5 December 1960 and the main building survives almost unchanged as a private house.

The platform stood to the north of the building (extreme right on the photograph) and the brick edging is visible from the roadside.

The enamel signs which had been a feature of the station building were removed some years ago, but the present owners have replaced like for like in the same location.

The station was the boyhood home of actor Donald Pleasence whose father was stationmaster here

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/g/grimoldby/

Jean Howard, December 2020 

Grimoldby, Railway Station
Grimoldby, St Edith
Grimoldby, St Edith
Grimoldby, St Edith

A large, impressive greenstone church, St Edith’s is mainly 14th century early Perpendicular work.

The spacious interior has four bay arcades and wide aisles, and is well lit by the Perpendicular clerestory windows.

The fine timber roofs are 16th century.

September 2012

Grimoldby, St Edith church, greenstone, clerestory
Grimoldby, St Edith
Grimoldby, St Edith
Grimoldby, St Edith

St Edith's chancel was rebuilt in 1876 in the original (Perpendicular) style and materials (greenstone with limestone dressings).

The chancel is unusually wide and the east window has five lights.

June 2015

Grimoldby, St Edith church
Grimoldby, St Edith, Churchyard Cross
Grimoldby, St Edith, Churchyard Cross
Grimoldby, St Edith, Churchyard Cross

Now in the northern part of the churchyard is this fine limestone preaching cross which formerly stood at the village crossroads.

It is almost completely fourteenth century apart from the modern top section.

It is listed Grade II.  https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063047 

Jean Howard, 21 March 2021

Grimoldby, Saint Edith, Churchyard Cross
Grimoldby, St Edith, Gargoyle
Grimoldby, St Edith, Gargoyle
Grimoldby, St Edith, Gargoyle

A gargoyle above the south aisle at St Edith's, Grimoldby.

September 2012

Grimoldby, St Edith church, gargoyle
Grimoldby, St Edith, Gargoyle
Grimoldby, St Edith, Gargoyle
Grimoldby, St Edith, Gargoyle

A gargoyle close to the north door.

June 2015

Grimoldby, St Edith church, gargoyle
Grimoldby, St Edith, Grotesque
Grimoldby, St Edith, Grotesque
Grimoldby, St Edith, Grotesque

A grotesque in limestone above the porch at St Edith's.

September 2012

Grimoldby, St Edith church, grotesque
Grimoldby, St Edith, Grotesque
Grimoldby, St Edith, Grotesque
Grimoldby, St Edith, Grotesque

This staring creature was designed to be a gargoyle and should have a spout from his mouth.
 
However, the south aisle roof has been redesigned and water now drains from a metal trough above.

Jean Howard, 21 March 2021

Grimoldby, Saint Edith Church, grotesque S
Grimoldby, St Edith, Grotesque
Grimoldby, St Edith, Grotesque
Grimoldby, St Edith, Grotesque

A bearded face above the western corner of the south aisle. He wears a short decorative cape.

Jean Howard, 21 March 2021

Grimoldby, Saint Edith Church, grotesque
Grimoldby, St Edith, Grotesque
Grimoldby, St Edith, Grotesque
Grimoldby, St Edith, Grotesque

A benign lady and an angel stare out from the north eastern corners of the north aisle and nave.

Jean Howard, 21 March 2021

Grimoldby, Saint Edith Church, Grotesque
Grimoldby, St Edith, Lych Gate
Grimoldby, St Edith, Lych Gate
Grimoldby, St Edith, Lych Gate

The lych gate leading into St Edith's churchyard.

June 2015

Grimoldby, St Edith church, lych gate
Grimoldby, St Edith, Rood
Grimoldby, St Edith, Rood
Grimoldby, St Edith, Rood

The rood in the chancel arch.

June 2015

Grimoldby, St Edith church, rood screen
Grimoldby, St Edith, Roof
Grimoldby, St Edith, Roof
Grimoldby, St Edith, Roof

The finely made roof has tie beams with bosses alternating with stiff angel figures carrying thin braces.

June 2015

Grimoldby, St Edith church, roof
Grimoldby, The Gables
Grimoldby, The Gables
Grimoldby, The Gables

In Middlesykes Lane stands this handsome eighteenth century farmhouse with tumbled gables.
 
It is listed Grade II : https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063045 

Jean Howard, 21 March 2021

Grimoldby, The Gables
Grimoldby, The Gables
Grimoldby, The Gables
Grimoldby, The Gables

Twentieth century dormer windows have been inserted on the western pitch of the roof to admit evening sunshine.

Jean Howard, 21 March 2021

Grimoldby, The Gables
Grimoldby, War Memorial
Grimoldby, War Memorial
Grimoldby, War Memorial

A dignified marble obelisk supplied by Mawer Bros of Louth commemorates the ten fallen in WWI.
 
It was unveiled by Louth resident, Major Sydney Hugh Jackson of the RFA.
 
https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/209466
 
More can be learned of those servicemen at:
https://www.roll-of-honour.com/Lincolnshire/Grimoldby.html
 
It would appear that three of the dead are buried in Grimoldby churchyard.

Jean Howard, 21 March 2021

Grimoldby, War Memorial, Major Sydney Hugh Jackson, Mawer Bros
Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The Wesleyan Methodists built this chapel in 1841. It was still in use in 1998.
 
After closure it became a workshop for a glass engraver but has now stood unused for several years.

Jean Howard, 21 March 2021

Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The lower section of the building gable-end to the camera, is the extension for a Sunday school opened in October 1900.
 
It is not possible to read anything on the plaque above the porch.

Jean Howard, 21 March 2021

Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Foundation Stone
Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Foundation Stone
Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Foundation Stone

The foundation stone for the Sunday school extension is beneath the arched window on the south side of the building.
 
The Bennett family were well-known members of the Methodist church and lived in Louth.
 
A number of other names, probably those who funded the building, appear on foundation stones nearby: Mrs J Thompson; Mrs W Lacey; Mrs F E Robinson; Mrs H Brader; also the letters ‘SK’ are impressed into a brick.

Jean Howard, 21 March 2021

Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Railings
Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Railings
Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Railings

Cast iron railings of a familiar design to many in Louth. 

Jean Howard, 21 March 2021

Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Restoration
Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Restoration
Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Restoration

The chapel was restored in 1914.
 
It would appear that following union of the sections of the Methodist church, the word ‘Wesleyan’ was chipped out.
 
Jean Howard, 21 March 2021 

Grimoldby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel