The High Street looking west towards the Post Office corner. The telegraph pole on the RHS stands in front of the railings of the Village Hall and pub carpark.
Just past the Butcher and Beast is Hufton’s Blacksmith shop, by this time it sold Shell petrol from a tank under the floor, through a long arm over the pavement.
The stone houses past this, with railings in front, were taken down in the 1950s. During the War soldiers had been billeted in their long attic range, where perhaps the boarders at the Boys’ School had slept.
The house at the end of the view was the School Master’s House (owned by Garrett's Charity), the house to its left was the house and surgery of three consecutive families of doctors from about 1927 to the early 1990s.