Corner stone of the church was laid on June 14th 1839. An information sheet in the church states :-
"A plan, designed by Robert Ellis Jnr. of Fleet, being approved, the foundation stone was laid on June 14th this year, a very rainy day.
A few silver and copper coins were placed in the cavity of the stone, and a glass bottle containing the following writing on parchment:-
'The Corner Stone of this Church, called the Church of St.John, in Holbeach fen, was laid by Margaret, the wife of James Morton B.D., Vicar of Holbeach, on the XIV day of June in the year of Our Lord MDCCCXXXIX.
This Church was built and endowed by voluntary subscription; John, Bishop of Lincoln, gave £800, George Tomline Esq gave £300, R. Dodds, Rector of Fleet £200, J.Morton, Vicar of Holbeach £100.
The Duke of Somerset gave an acre of land".
DB 24 March 2019