Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Kirmond le Mire
 
Kirmond le Mire, Manor Farmstead
Kirmond le Mire, Manor Farmstead
Kirmond le Mire, Manor Farmstead

Manor Farm was built in 1868 for Christopher Turnor (of Stoke Rochford and Panton), then one of the largest landowners in the county.

The layout and accommodation were specifically designed to enable efficient operation of a mechanised farm in the era of 'high farming'.

This view from the SW includes the central blocks with dovecote, the wall of a crew yard and the gable of the W range.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Kirmond Le Mire, farmstead, farm buildings, Christopher Turnor,
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin

St Martinís was built in 1846 by W  A Nicholson, and financed by the local landowner Christopher Turnor and his tenants.

The building is Early English in style throughout Ė a more sober design than Nicholsonís other churches in the Wolds.

June 2014

Kirmond Le Mire, St Martin, Christopher Turnor, W A Nicholson
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin

The west end of St Martin's church has two lancets, a Jesse window and shafted bell-cote above.

June 2014

Kirmond Le Mire, St Martin church
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin

"Parish Church. 1847 by W A Nicholson"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359767 

William Adams Nicholson was a Lincoln architect who was a founding member of the Royal Institute of British Architects.

Other works by him in Lincoln includes St Mark's Railway Station and the Corn Exchange.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_Nicholson 

DB 10 October 2018

Kirmond Le Mire, Saint Martin, church, William Adams Nicholson
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin

View of the east end.

Vestry added in 1930 projecting to the north.

DB 10 October 2018

Kirmond Le Mire, Saint Martin, church
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"The church of St. Martin is a modern edifice of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell.

The interior was renovated in 1899, at a cost of about £10"

DB 10 October 2018

Kirmond Le Mire, Saint Martin, church
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Bellcote
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Bellcote
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Bellcote

The small bell turret has a shafted opening and a gable above.

June 2014

Kirmond Le Mire, St Martin church, bellcote
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Chancel
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Chancel
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Chancel

"The chancel furnishings date from 1930 and at that time a vestry was added"

http://lincoln.ourchurchweb.org.uk/walesby/kirmondlemire/page1/ 

Early English style lancet windows edged with blue and yellow Victorian glass.

DB 10 October 2018

Kirmond Le Mire, Saint Martin, church, chancel
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, corbel
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, corbel
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, corbel

The timber roofs of nave and chancel are supported by corbels with medieval style heads.

June 2014

Kirmond Le Mire, St Martin church, corbel
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Font
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Font
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Font

C19 font decorated for the harvest festival.

DB 10 October 2018

Kirmond Le Mire, Saint Martin, church, font
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Monument
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Monument
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Monument

Monument transferred from the previous church building commemorating 5 young children of Edmund Turnor who was lord of the manor.

DB 10 October 2018

Kirmond Le Mire, Saint Martin, church, monument, Edmund Turnor
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Nave
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Nave
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Nave

View looking east towards the chancel.

Interior dimly lighted by narrow Early English style lancet windows.

DB 10 October 2018

Kirmond Le Mire, Saint Martin, church, nave
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Nave
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Nave
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Nave

View looking west.

Gas light fittings evident in the nave & chancel. 

DB 10 October 2018

Kirmond Le Mire, Saint Martin, church, nave
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Pulpit
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Pulpit
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, Pulpit

C19 pulpit.

DB 10 October 2018

Kirmond Le Mire, Saint Martin, church, pulpit
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, War Memorial Brass
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, War Memorial Brass
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, War Memorial Brass

Brass plate, with sphinx badges of the Lincolnshire Regiment, in memory of John Clark killed at Ypres 1915.

DB 10 October 2018

Kirmond Le Mire, Saint Martin, church, war John Clark, memorial, Lincolnshire Regiment, Ypres
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, window
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, window
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, window

Window in Early English style by W A Nicholson.

June 2014

Kirmond Le Mire, St Martin, window