Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Lincoln Industry
 
Beevor Street
Beevor Street
Beevor Street

The large building at the junction of Beevor Street and Rope Walk was at one time Henry Poppleton's sweet factory.

It was later used by James Dawson, industrial belt manufacturer, and it was this firm that built a new factory on the site in 1960.

IA and Bridges, Henry Poppleton, Sweet Manufacturer, James Dawson
Dickinson's Mill
Dickinson's Mill
Dickinson's Mill
IA and Bridges, Dickinson's Mill
Lincoln, Ellis Mill (1)
Lincoln, Ellis Mill (1)
Lincoln, Ellis Mill (1)

This small mill, built in 1798, has 4 sails and only 3 floors.

During the nineteenth century it was one of 8 mills along a short stretch of Burton Road to the north-west of the city.

Jon Sass Collection, photograph 1941


IA and Bridges, Ellis Mill, Jon Sass
Lincoln, Ellis Mill (2)
Lincoln, Ellis Mill (2)
Lincoln, Ellis Mill (2)

Ellis Mill was worked commercially until 1941.

It was restored by Lincoln Civic Trust in the 1970s and is regularly worked by volunteers.

Location of mill: SK 971 722

Peter Kirk Collection, 1999


IA and Bridges, Lincoln Ellis Mill
Lincoln, Ellis Mill (3)
Lincoln, Ellis Mill (3)
Lincoln, Ellis Mill (3)

The mill suffered a disastrous fire in the early 1970s but was fully restored in 1978-81 by the Lincoln Civic Trust to mark the Queen's Silver Jubilee.

Ken Redmore

Ellis windmill, corn mill, Lincoln, Civic Trust,
Lincoln, Ellis Mill (4)
Lincoln, Ellis Mill (4)
Lincoln, Ellis Mill (4)

Detail of sails, cap and fantail

Peter Kirk Collection, 1999

IA and Bridges, Lincoln Ellis Mill, windmill Peter Kirk
Lincoln, Ironstone Mine
Lincoln, Ironstone Mine
Lincoln, Ironstone Mine

The former entrance to Grundyís No 1 ironstone mine, between Crofton Road and Greetwell Road in Lincoln.

This adit was in use from about 1904 and the mine had closed by 1920.

The mine has collapsed and the entrance has been sealed.

Stewart Squires

Lincoln, ironstone mine, Grundy, Greetwell Road,
Lincoln, J T B Porter, Advertisement
Lincoln, J T B Porter, Advertisement
Lincoln, J T B Porter, Advertisement

J T B Porter was an iron founder at Gowts Bridge, Lincoln from 1855 until 1919 when the firm amalgamated with Penney & Co.

Porter was one of the principal gas engineers in the country, boasting over 600 installations by the 1880s.

Several Lincolnshire town gasworks were built or extended by his firm. He also installed gasworks at country houses.

It is not known which house is depicted in this advertisement. We would like to hear from anyone who can identify it.

 

Advert, c1875

Lincoln, Porter, gas engineer, founder,
Lincoln, Le Tallís Crown Mill
Lincoln, Le Tallís Crown Mill
Lincoln, Le Tallís Crown Mill

The mill tower and the associated buildings which housed the roller mill have been converted for residential use.

Location of mill: SK 971 703

Peter Kirk Collection, 2001

IA and Bridges, Le tall Mill
Lincoln, Le Tallís Crown Mill
Lincoln, Le Tallís Crown Mill
Lincoln, Le Tallís Crown Mill

The original mill here was built in the second quarter of the nineteenth century.

It had five sails but was remodelled with six sails in 1863. In 1882 a roller mill was introduced on the site.

Jon Sass Collection, photograph c.1910


IA and Bridges, Le Tall's Mill, windmill, Jon Sass
Lincoln, Le Tallís Crown Mill
Lincoln, Le Tallís Crown Mill
Lincoln, Le Tallís Crown Mill

Viewed from Vernon Street to the south.

"Windmill and attached steam corn mill, now residential units.

Mid and Late C19, converted 1990-92.

Red brick, with yellow brick dressings to the steam mill, and slate roofs"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1388739 

Windmill cap just visible above the roof line in this image

DB 2 February 2019

Lincoln, Crown Mill, LeTall, Windmill, steam, corn
Lincoln, Pyewipe Pumping Station
Lincoln, Pyewipe Pumping Station
Lincoln, Pyewipe Pumping Station

The current pumping station at Pyewipe was built on the south bank of the Fossdyke to the west of Lincoln in 1936.

Still contained in the main pump house are the Gwynnes pumps which were driven by Ruston and Hornsby diesel engines Ė all made by Lincoln firms.

Water is drawn from a drain serving some 3300 hectares of land to the south and discharged into the adjacent Fossdyke Canal. Electrically operated pumps were installed in 1993.

May 2012
IA and Bridges, Pyewipe pumping station, Gwynnes pump, Ruston and Hornsby, Fossdyke
Lincoln, Pyewipe Pumping Station
Lincoln, Pyewipe Pumping Station
Lincoln, Pyewipe Pumping Station

Close by the pumping station is the cast iron tunnel with large concave brick portals designed by John Rennie in 1805-08 to transfer water from the Burton Main Drain to the north-west under the Fossdyke canal to the Skellingthorpe Main Drain to the south.

 May 2012

IA and Bridges, Pyewipe pumping station, John Rennie
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road

A planning application by Riverstone Dev 1 Ltd to demolish all existing structures on the site of the cityís former Ruston Works and William Sinclair buildings has been approved.

The Ruston Factory was an important manufacturer of aircraft engines during the First World War. 

Buildings were used by William Sinclair Horticulture between 1984-2015 for the manufacture of fertiliser.  

DB 4 February 2019

Lincoln, Ruston Works, aircraft engines, William Sinclair, fertiliser
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road

The building runs parallel to Coulson Road which is on the other side of the drain.

DB 4 February 2019

Lincoln, Ruston Works, aircraft engines, William Sinclair, fertiliser
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road

Eastern end of the Ruston factory where it abuts onto the Sinclair buildings.

Picture taken from Coulson Road. 

DB 4 February 2019

Lincoln, Ruston Works, aircraft engines, William Sinclair, fertiliser
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road

Demolition in progress.

DB 4 February 2019

Lincoln, Ruston Works, aircraft engines, William Sinclair, fertiliser
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road

Panoramic view of the Sinclair buildings.

Image taken across the River Witham from the end of Princess Street.

DB 4 February 2019

Lincoln, Ruston Works, aircraft engines, William Sinclair, fertiliser
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road
Lincoln, Ruston Works, Firth Road

Visitors entrance to the Sinclair buildings.

Image taken from Coulson Road across the drain. 

DB 4 February 2019

Lincoln, Ruston Works, aircraft engines, William Sinclair, fertiliser
Lincoln, Smith's Crisps Factory, Newark Road
Lincoln, Smith's Crisps Factory, Newark Road
Lincoln, Smith's Crisps Factory, Newark Road

The Smith's Potato Crisp factory was built in 1937.

"Smiths was later owned by biscuit company Nabisco, BSN and finally sold to American company PepsiCo in the 1990s.

Subsequently, Pepsico withdrew the brand, in favour of popular British brand Walkers, which had been heavily marketed in a campaign using ex-footballer turned television presenter Gary Lineker.

Many of the products previously owned by Smith's became labelled as Walkers, although there are still several Smith's branded crisps sold by Walkers"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smith%27s_Snackfood_Company 

DB 28 January 2019

Lincoln, Smith's Crisps Factory, Newark Road, Walkers, pepsico
Lincoln, Smith's Crisps Factory, Newark Road
Lincoln, Smith's Crisps Factory, Newark Road
Lincoln, Smith's Crisps Factory, Newark Road

The Smith's Potato Crisp factory was built in 1937 but is now largely dedicated to the production of Quavers.

"Quavers are a British snack food, originally made by Smiths, and now produced by Walkers.

Walkers, owned by PepsiCo, purchased the Quavers brand in 1997, when it became one of the Frito Lay International brand names"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quavers 

DB 28 January 2019 

Lincoln, Smith's Crisps Factory, Newark Road, Factory, Walkers, Pepsico, quavers
Perseverance Cork& Glue
Perseverance Cork& Glue
Perseverance Cork& Glue

This stone was set in the wall between numbers 34 and 36 Alfred Street.

This commemorates the building of these houses by James Anderton out of the proceeds (£800) from showing his model of Lincoln Cathedral made from old bottle corks.

IA and Bridges,