Portrait of Joseph Ruston from the book "One hundred years of good company" by Bernard Newman.
This portrait used to hang in the Old Board Room, Ruston Works, Waterside South, Lincoln but is now in the Usher Gallery collection.
"On completing his apprenticeship in 1856 with a good commercial training and having a modest inheritance from his father's estate he went into business with Burton and Proctor of Lincoln.
He thus became head of the firm of Ruston, Proctor and Company, agricultural implement makers and engineers.
The company grew in size until it employed some 2000 people and in his lifetime produced 20,800 engines, 19,700 boilers, 10,900 threshing machines, and 1350 corn mills.
Ruston was a J.P. and was elected Mayor of Lincoln for 1869–70.
He was elected as a Liberal Member of Parliament (MP) for Lincoln in a by-election in June 1884.
He was re-elected at the 1885 general election but did not stand again in 1886 because he disapproved of Gladstone's proposals for Home Rule.
His decorations included the Cross of the Legion of Honour and the Order of Osmanieh.
He was appointed High Sheriff of Lincolnshire in 1891.
He was a benefactor to the town of Lincoln, funding the building of the drill-hall for the local volunteers, a children's ward at the Lincoln County Hospital, and the restoration of the monument in Lincoln Cathedral to the memory of Queen Eleanor"
DB 31 July 2019