Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Lincoln Pubs and Hotels
 
Lincoln, Barbican Hotel, St Mary's Street
Lincoln, Barbican Hotel, St Mary's Street
Lincoln, Barbican Hotel, St Mary's Street

Originally a gentleman’s club dating from 1867. 

It later became the Albion Hotel, was renamed the Barbican in the 1980s and has been standing empty since 2008. 

The entry for the Directory of the City of Lincoln 1897 published by JW Ruddock reads :-

"11 Albion Hotel and Club - Miss Helen Bass

Lincoln Club - W. Manby, secretary"

Directly opposite to the Great Northern Railway (Lincoln Central) Station.

DB 20 December 2018

Lincoln, Barbican Hotel, Albion Hotel, Club, St Mary's Street
Lincoln, Black Swan, High Street
Lincoln, Black Swan, High Street
Lincoln, Black Swan, High Street

Former Black Swan public house now in retail use by Holland & Barratt  health food shop.

Listed in the City of Lincoln Directory 1857 published by Charles Akrill :-

"Codd, William George, Black Swan, 319, High-street"

DB 4 February 2019

Lincoln, Black Swan, Public House, High Street
Lincoln, Bray's Temperance Hotel, High Street
Lincoln, Bray's Temperance Hotel, High Street
Lincoln, Bray's Temperance Hotel, High Street

Listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1937 as

"Bray's Temperance Hotel, 472 & 473 High st. TN 722"

there was also an associated garage 

"Bray Rd. motor engnr, 472 & 473 High st. TN 722"

DB 4 February 2019

Lincoln, Bray's Temperance Hotel, High Street, garage, motor engineer
Lincoln, Bull's Head Inn
Lincoln, Bull's Head Inn
Lincoln, Bull's Head Inn

The Bull’s Head, at east end of Silver Street at junction with Clasketgate and Broadgate.

James Hole & Co (Newark) owned the pub; they employed Otter & Co. to construct conveniences in 1916.

Undated photograph

Pubs and Hotels, Bull's Head, Silver Street
Lincoln, Duke of Wellington, Broadgate
Lincoln, Duke of Wellington, Broadgate
Lincoln, Duke of Wellington, Broadgate

Duke of Wellington, 37 Broadgate rebuilt in the 1930s. 

Photographed shortly before closure.

DB 19 May 2011 

Lincoln, Duke of Wellington, Public House, Broadgate
Lincoln, Duke William Hotel, Bailgate
Lincoln, Duke William Hotel, Bailgate
Lincoln, Duke William Hotel, Bailgate

Listed in the City of Lincoln Directory 1857 published by Charles Akrill :-

"Shaw, Robert, Duke William, 44, Bailgate"

Pictured during the Lincoln Christmas Market with Christmas Ale being sold outside. 

DB 6 December 2018

Lincoln, Duke William, Bailgate, public house, hotel
Lincoln, Duke William Hotel, Bailgate
Lincoln, Duke William Hotel, Bailgate
Lincoln, Duke William Hotel, Bailgate

Explanatory sign displayed on the outside of the hotel.

DB 6 December 2018

Lincoln, Duke William, Bailgate, public house, hotel
Lincoln, Falstaff Inn
Lincoln, Falstaff Inn
Lincoln, Falstaff Inn

Shakespearean references at the Falstaff Inn, sometimes known as the Sir John Falstaff.

It  was sited at 270 High Street near the junction with Grantham Street, and closed in the 1990s.

undated photograph

Pubs and Hotels, Falstaff Inn
Lincoln, Flying Horse Inn
Lincoln, Flying Horse Inn
Lincoln, Flying Horse Inn

The Flying Horse, at 247 High Street, at junction with Clasketgate, was an early closure, in 1894, sold to Lincoln Corporation and demolished to make way for a road widening scheme.

It had a reputation as a "tough” house!

undated photograph

Pubs and Hotels, Flying Horse
Lincoln, Golden Cross Inn, High Street
Lincoln, Golden Cross Inn, High Street
Lincoln, Golden Cross Inn, High Street

Listed in the Directory of the City of Lincoln 1919 published by JW Ruddock & Sons :-

"Goodrick, W., Golden Cross Inn, 434 High-street"

also in 1897

"Cox, Jesse, Golden Cross Hotel, 434, High-street"

Presumably rebuilt on same site as the present building dates from 1959.

A favourite with Lincoln City football supporters due to its location very close to Sincil Bank stadium.

DB 28 January 2019

Lincoln, Golden Cross Inn, High Street, Public House
Lincoln, Green Dragon, Waterside North
Lincoln, Green Dragon, Waterside North
Lincoln, Green Dragon, Waterside North
Standing at the corner of Broadgate and Waterside North, this timber-framed inn was restored in the 1957.
Lincoln, Green Dragon, Public House, Inn
Lincoln, Green Dragon, Waterside North
Lincoln, Green Dragon, Waterside North
Lincoln, Green Dragon, Waterside North

"Public house. C16, restored and with additions, 1959"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1388824 

DB 4 February 2019

Lincoln, Green Dragon, Waterside North
Lincoln, Green Dragon, Waterside North
Lincoln, Green Dragon, Waterside North
Lincoln, Green Dragon, Waterside North

Plaque recalling the 1956 restoration by Warwicks & Richardsons Ltd.

http://breweryhistory.com/wiki/index.php?title=Warwicks_%26_Richardsons_Ltd 

DB 7 February 2019

Lincoln, Green Dragon, Waterside North, Warwicks & Richardsons Ltd
Lincoln, Henage Arms
Lincoln, Henage Arms
Lincoln, Henage Arms

The Heneage Arms was at 8 Croft Street (at the junction with Sparrow Lane), opened as a beerhouse in 1867, and sold to Mowbrays of Grantham in 1905 when they bought Dawber’s brewery in Lincoln.

A full pub licence was obtained as late as 1954; the pub closed in 1971.

undated photograph

Pubs and Hotels, Heneage Arms
Lincoln, King's Arms Hotel
Lincoln, King's Arms Hotel
Lincoln, King's Arms Hotel

The King’s Arms, at Theatre Yard, 278 High Street, dated back to around 1718; there was a cockpit here at one time.

Looking very dingy in this photograph, it closed under compensation in 1926 when Soulby’s of Alford were the owners.

undated photograph

Pubs and Hotels, King's Arms, Soulby Alford, cockpit
Lincoln, Lincoln Imp, Blankney Crescent
Lincoln, Lincoln Imp, Blankney Crescent
Lincoln, Lincoln Imp, Blankney Crescent

Lincoln Imp public house opened in 1957.

Relaunched earlier this year it suddenly closed in November. 

DB 13 December 2018

Lincoln, Blankney Crescent, Lincoln Imp, Public House
Lincoln, Lincoln Imp, Blankney Crescent
Lincoln, Lincoln Imp, Blankney Crescent
Lincoln, Lincoln Imp, Blankney Crescent

Lincoln Imp pub sign is an iconic sight for anyone travelling along Riseholme Road into or out of Lincoln.

Taken to London for the Lincoln City FA Cup quarter-final against Arsenal in 2017 when the Lincoln Imp pub was recreated in London.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/london-local-lincoln-imp-pub-moves-to-the-capital-for-arsenal-fa-cup-tie-a3487336.html 

DB 13 December 2018 

Lincoln, Lincoln Imp, Public House, Blankney Crescent
Lincoln, Marquis of Granby Inn
Lincoln, Marquis of Granby Inn
Lincoln, Marquis of Granby Inn

The Marquis of Granby, at 12 Butchery Street (Clasketgate) dated back to around 1794.

It was closed under compensation in 1914, when the brewers were Salt & Co of Burton on Trent.

undated photograph


Pubs and Hotels, Marquis of Granby, Burchery Street, Salt & Co
Lincoln, Oddfellows Arms Inn
Lincoln, Oddfellows Arms Inn
Lincoln, Oddfellows Arms Inn

The Oddfellows Arms was at 19 Carholme Road on the corner with Gas Street, quite an old pub with an ale licence by 1784 and later a beerhouse.

The house was upgraded to a full licence in 1953 and closed some time afterwards.

It was sold to Mowbrays of Grantham in 1905 as part of the pub estate of Dawbers of Lincoln.

undated photograph

Pubs and Hotels, Oddfellows Arms, Mowbray, Dawber
Lincoln, Old School
Lincoln, Old School
Lincoln, Old School

This building, now the Castle Hotel on Westgate, was erected in 1851-52 by W A Nicholson as the North District National Schools.

October 2017 

Castle Hotel, Lincoln, North District national School
Lincoln, Queen Hotel, High Street
Lincoln, Queen Hotel, High Street
Lincoln, Queen Hotel, High Street

Premises now occupied by HMV and was previously a pizza restaurant.

Troubled HMV was saved from administration the day after this photo on 5th February thanks to a buy out by Canadian music retailer Sunrise Records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMV 

Listed in the City of Lincoln Directory 1857 published by Charles Akrill :-

"Edwards, William, The Queen, 323, High-street"

DB 4 February 2019 

Lincoln, Queen Hotel, High Street, HMV
Lincoln, Reindeer Hotel, High Street
Lincoln, Reindeer Hotel, High Street
Lincoln, Reindeer Hotel, High Street

Listed in the Directory of the City of Lincoln 1919 published by JW Ruddock & Sons :-

"Fairweather, Mrs. E., Reindeer Hotel, 8 High-street"

and in the 1894 Directory printed by Akrill, Ruddock & Keyworth :-

"Black, Mrs. Mary Ann, Reindeer Hotel, 8, High-street"

and in the 1857 Directory published by Charles Akrill :-

"Wilkinson, Charles, Reindeer, 4, High-street" 

Now closed. 

DB 4 February 2019

Lincoln, Reindeer Hotel, High Street
Lincoln, Saracen's Head Hotel
Lincoln, Saracen's Head Hotel
Lincoln, Saracen's Head Hotel
Advert for the Saracen's Head Hotel appearing in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1885.
Lincoln, Saracen's Head Hotel
Lincoln, Shakespeare Inn, High Street
Lincoln, Shakespeare Inn, High Street
Lincoln, Shakespeare Inn, High Street

Listed in the Directory of the City of Lincoln 1919 published by JW Ruddock & Sons :-

"Belcher, F., Shakespeare Hotel, 40 High street"

and in the 1894 Directory printed by Akrill, Ruddock & Keyworth :-

"Harrop, Wm. Godwin, Shakespeare Inn, 40, High-street"

and the 1857 Directory published by Charles Akrill :-

"Goddard, Mary, Shakspeare, 31, High-street" 

DB 4 February 2019

Lincoln, Shakespeare Inn, High Street, Public House
Lincoln, White :Horse Inn
Lincoln, White :Horse Inn
Lincoln, White :Horse Inn

Now a pub with a thriving live music scene, the Tap & Spile in Hungate will be unrecognisable to regulars in this view.

Known for many years as the White Horse, it dates back to at least 1794.

It was completely rebuilt in 1921 by its owners at the time, Hall, Cutlack and Harlock of Ely, whose Ely Ales are prominently advertised in this view prior to reconstruction.

Hall’s were bought by Steward & Patteson of Norwich in 1957, later to join the Watney empire.

undated photograph


Pubs and Hotels, White Horse Inn, Hall, Cutlack and Harlock, Steward & Patteson, Watney
Lincoln, Witch & Wardrobe, Waterside North
Lincoln, Witch & Wardrobe, Waterside North
Lincoln, Witch & Wardrobe, Waterside North

"House, now a public house. Early C16, with C17 additions and early and mid C19 alterations. Restored late C20"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1388823 

DB 7 February 2019

Lincoln, Witch & Wardrobe, public house, waterside north
Lincoln, Witch & Wardrobe, Waterside North
Lincoln, Witch & Wardrobe, Waterside North
Lincoln, Witch & Wardrobe, Waterside North

Displayed outside the pub.

DB 7 February 2019

Lincoln, Witch & Wardrobe, public house, waterside north
Lincoln, Ye Olde Crown Inn
Lincoln, Ye Olde Crown Inn
Lincoln, Ye Olde Crown Inn

A view of Ye Olde Crown in, Clasketgate, before its rebuilding in fake "Tudorbethan” style by Traylen & Lenton, architects of Stamford and Grantham, in 1937.

This pub was bought by James Hole and Co. of Newark in 1901;  Hole’s were a major brewer in the East Midlands but lost their independence in 1967 to the national conglomerate Courage.

undated photograph

Pubs and Hotels, Ye Olde Crown, Traylen & Lenton, James Hole, Courage