Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Louth
 
Louth, Centenary Methodist Church
Louth, Centenary Methodist Church
Louth, Centenary Methodist Church

Louth's sole surviving Methodist Chapel, in Eastgate, dates largely from 1835. The gallery and fixed seats were removed in an extensive remodelling project in the 1970s. It is Grade II listed.

October 2018

Louth, Centenary Eastgate Methodist Chruch
Louth, County Police Station, Eastgate
Louth, County Police Station, Eastgate
Louth, County Police Station, Eastgate

Located next door to the former Sessions House.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1885 states

"'The Petty Sessions Court House and County Constabulary Station, which is in Eastgate, was erected in the year 1874 on a part of of the site of the old Gaol and House of Correction:

the force for the Louth division consists of one superintendent, one sergeant, and eleven constables"

DB 12 September 2018 

Louth, County Police Station, Eastgate, Constabulary
Louth, County Police Station, Eastgate
Louth, County Police Station, Eastgate
Louth, County Police Station, Eastgate

Inscription over door of the County Police Station.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1885 states

"County Police Station, Charles Christopher Cadge, superintendent; 1 sergeant & 11 constables"

There was also a Borough Police Station located at the Town Hall

"Borough Police Station, Wm. Lloyd, superintendent; 2 sergeants & 7 constables"

Interesting entries for the two superintendents

"Cadge Charles Christopher, superintendent of county police & examiner of weights & measures for Louth district, Eastgate" 

"Lloyd William, chief of borough police, inspector of weights & measures & common lodging houses & inspector under the explosives act, Town hall" 

DB 12 September 2018 

Louth, County Police Station, Eastgate, Constabulary
Louth, Crowtree Lane Hospital
Louth, Crowtree Lane Hospital
Louth, Crowtree Lane Hospital

Crowtree Lane Hospital was built in 1873 at a cost of £2000 to replace the dispensary in New Street.

After the former workhouse on High Holme Road was developed as the main hospital for the town in 1938, Crowtree Lane dealt with maternity patients only.

It is now part of King Edward VI School.

Ken Redmore, 2006

Louth, Crowtree Lane Hospital,
Louth, Eastgate Union Church former Baptist Chapel
Louth, Eastgate Union Church former Baptist Chapel
Louth, Eastgate Union Church former Baptist Chapel

Former Baptist Chapel now the Eastgate Union Church.

"As the name suggests we are a church that is a union of two others. This happened in 1919 and means that we are part Baptist and part URC"

https://eastgateunion.com/about-us/ 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"The Baptist chapel, Eastgate, erected in 1849, will seat 375; that in Northgate, built in 1802, will hold 500.

The Congregational chapel, in Cannon street, built in 1820, seats 500"

DB 7 March 2018

Louth, Eastgate Union Church, Baptist Chapel
Louth, Holy Trinity
Louth, Holy Trinity
Louth, Holy Trinity

A fire in 1991 destroyed all but the tower of the Victorian church of 1866 by Rogers & Marsden.  The tower has an octagonal top and an unusually high stair turret.

The new nave and community rooms were opened in 1999.

September 2012

Louth, Holy Trinity church, Rogers & Marsden
Louth, Holy Trinity
Louth, Holy Trinity
Louth, Holy Trinity

Holy Trinity, a Victorian church of 1866, was severely damaged by fire in 1991.

Opened in 1999, the new building with its attractive spire, was designed as a community centre and incorporates meeting rooms and catering facilities as well as a modern worship space.

September 2012

Louth, Holy Trinity church, fire
Louth, Hubbard's Hills
Louth, Hubbard's Hills
Louth, Hubbard's Hills

This rustic wooden shelter in Hubbard's Hills was one of four given by local Member of Parliament, R W Perks, at a total cost of £100, when the park was first opened in 1907.

Undated postcard

Louth, Hubbard's Hills, R W Perks
Louth, Hubbard's Hills
Louth, Hubbard's Hills
Louth, Hubbard's Hills

Hubbard's Hills is a deep wooded valley to the south-west of the town. It was acquired for the town using a generous bequest from Alphonse Pahud, a language teacher at Louth Grammar School.

card posted 1940s

Louth, Hubbard's Hills, Alphonse Pahud, Louth Grammar School
Louth, Independent Chapel
Louth, Independent Chapel
Louth, Independent Chapel

The Independent Chapel in Cannon Street was built 1828, superseding the former Countess of Huntingdon Chapel bought in 1800.

It was taken out of use 1928, first becoming a cinema, then offices.

Pearl Wheatley, 2012

Louth, Independent Chapel, Cannon Street, Countess of Huntingdon
Louth, Julian's Mill
Louth, Julian's Mill
Louth, Julian's Mill

The four-storey mill on the Lud and at the beginning of Grimsby Road (former A16) was known at one time as Bridge Street Mill or St Mary’s Mill.

The position of two former undershot waterwheels can be seen on the wall at river level.

April 2013

Louth, Julian's Mill, Bridge Street Mill
Louth, Julian's Mill
Louth, Julian's Mill
Louth, Julian's Mill

The mill was built be Francis Julian, a French immigrant builder, in 1755.

The mill is built of brick in Flemish Bond, with burnt headers for decorative effect.

April 2013

Louth, Julian's Mill, Francis Julian
Louth, Julian's Mill
Louth, Julian's Mill
Louth, Julian's Mill

Exceptionally heavy rain in the Wolds immediately to the west of Louth caused the small River Lud to flood much of the town.

Several buildings – mainly houses – were destroyed and 23 lives were lost.

This marker can be seen on the front right corner of the mill in the general photo of the building.

April 2013

Louth, Julian's Mill, flood
Louth, King Edward VI Grammar School
Louth, King Edward VI Grammar School
Louth, King Edward VI Grammar School

In 1551 Edward VI gave a plot of land and the money from three fairs to establish the school. It remained boys only until 1964.

Undated postcard.

Louth, grammar school
Louth, King Edward VI Grammar School
Louth, King Edward VI Grammar School
Louth, King Edward VI Grammar School

Former pupils include Sir John Franklin, Captain John Smith and Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

Undated postcard.

Louth, Grammar School
Louth, Little Eastgate
Louth, Little Eastgate
Louth, Little Eastgate

The view from the tower of St James's Church, Louth, looking towards the town centre along Little Eastgate is remarkably similar to that depicted in a fine panorama painted by William Brown in 1844.

The street leading away in the centre of the picture is Eastgate, dominated by the Town Hall of 1854, a large brick building with stone dressings and balustrade.

Brown's Panorama hangs in the Council Chamber.

Mark Acton, 2008

Louth, view from church tower, Eastgate, Brown panorama, Town Hall,
Louth, Louth & District Royal British Legion Headquarters, Northgate
Louth, Louth & District Royal British Legion Headquarters, Northgate
Louth, Louth & District Royal British Legion Headquarters, Northgate

Former Drill Hall.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"5th Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment (D Co.), Drill hall, Northgate ; butts, Hallington

Volunteer Force Battalion 4th Lincolnshire Regiment (E Co.); Capt. J. W. Richardson, commanding, Drill hall, Northgate"

DB 7 March 2018

Louth & District Royal British Legion Headquarters, Northgate, Lincolnshire Regiment
Louth, Malt Kiln
Louth, Malt Kiln
Louth, Malt Kiln

Malt Kiln viewed from the tower of St James Church.

A major Louth landmark, known locally as the Concrete Cathedral, until its demolition in 2015.

Interesting history available via the Louth Museum website

http://www.louthmuseum.org.uk/exhibitions/louth_museum_malt_kiln.html 

DB 25 November 2014

Louth, Malt Kiln
Louth, Mansion House & later The Mechanics' Institute, Upgate
Louth, Mansion House & later The Mechanics' Institute, Upgate
Louth, Mansion House & later The Mechanics' Institute, Upgate

"The Mechanics' Institute was originally the Mansion House of Louth and the centre of Municipal life"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063212 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1885 states :-

"The Mechanics' Institution, in Upgate, established about 1834, has a library containing 3,500 volumes, and the reading room is supplied with 30 periodicals and 27 newspapers, including 6 daily papers ; the number of members is 439"

DB 7 March 2018 

Louth, Mansion House, Mechanics' Institute, Upgate, reading room
Louth, Mansion House & later The Mechanics' Institute, Upgate
Louth, Mansion House & later The Mechanics' Institute, Upgate
Louth, Mansion House & later The Mechanics' Institute, Upgate

Blue plaque on the wall of The Mansion House.

DB 7 March 2018 

Louth, Mansion House, Mechanics' Institute, Upgate, reading room
Louth, Market Hall
Louth, Market Hall
Louth, Market Hall

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"The Market Hall and shops, erected in 1866-7, form an extensive pile of buildings, in the French Gothic style, from designs by Messrs. Rogers and Marsden, and include a clock tower rising to a height of more than 100 feet:

the Market Hall is 100 feet long and 60 feet wide, and has a semicircular arched iron trussed roof, supported parted partly by the walls and partly on carved stone corbels:

there is a market keeper's office on the west side, and the whole area under the hall is cellared in eight divisions:

the clock was purchased by subscription, at a cost of about 100 guineas"

DB 21 March 2017 

Louth, Market Hall, Rogers and Marsden
Louth, Market Hall
Louth, Market Hall
Louth, Market Hall

A second view of the Market Hall, with its characteristic clock tower, from the tower of St James Church.

DB 22 September 2015 

Louth, Market Hall
Louth, Market Place
Louth, Market Place
Louth, Market Place

Market Place with the tower of Market Hall in the background.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"The Market days are Wednesday and Saturday; the former is principally for corn, and is well attended; large sheep and beast markets are held every Friday during the year, at Quarry hill.

Fairs for sheep, cattle and horses are held on the two last days of April, and on the Fridays before the 18th of September and the 28th of October, and on the 23rd of November:

the Spring fair is held on the Friday before the 4th Sunday in Lent"

DB 22 September 2015 

Louth, Market Place
Louth, Mr Chips, Aswell Street
Louth, Mr Chips, Aswell Street
Louth, Mr Chips, Aswell Street

Mr Chips an iconic fish and chip restaurant owned by three generations of the Hagan family to December 2015.

https://www.louthleader.co.uk/news/goodbye-mr-chips-louth-restaurant-set-to-close-1-7094398 

Reopened August 2018 under new management.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/take-tour-mr-chips-louth-1830152 

DB 22 September 2015

Louth, Mr Chips, Aswell Street, Hagan, fish and chip restaurant
Louth, Museum, Broadbank
Louth, Museum, Broadbank
Louth, Museum, Broadbank

Excellent museum run by the Louth Naturalists’, Antiquarian and Literary Society.

http://www.louthmuseum.org.uk/about/about_louth_museum.html 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"The Louth Naturalists', Antiquarian and Literary Society have a museum in Enginegate"

Enginegate appears to be an earlier name for Broadbank.

DB 7 March 2018 

 

Louth, Museum, Broadbank, Naturalists’, Antiquarian and Literary Society
Louth, Old Railway Line
Louth, Old Railway Line
Louth, Old Railway Line

The east side of Louth had several parks which have been taken into the growing town.  One such was Stewton House Park.

The railway from Boston cut through it so that land to the west of the line was sold off for large houses and gardens and that to the east is mostly housing estate.

The railway has gone but the route is still there and converted to a pleasant tree-lined footpath.

Louth, East Coast Line, Railway, footpath
Louth, Old Railway Line
Louth, Old Railway Line
Louth, Old Railway Line

This information board alongside the footpath to the south-east of the town centre gives details of the former East Lincolnshire Line which passed through Louth.

 

Louth, East Lincolnshire Railway Line, footpath
Louth, Orme's Almshouses, Eastgate
Louth, Orme's Almshouses, Eastgate
Louth, Orme's Almshouses, Eastgate

"James Fowler built the Orme's almshouses on Eastgate in 1885.

They are Jacobean in style set in a L-Shaped range set back from the street.

Orme Almshouses were endowed for ten poor men by the Revd Frederick Orme rector of Lydon (Rutland) in 1885.

Ten almshouses and a porter's lodge, designed by James Fowler, were built on the site of the old prison on Eastgate.

The almshouses sit in an ornamental acre of grounds"

http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=MLI42911&resourceID=1006 

DB 7 March 2018 

Louth, Orme's Almshouses, Eastgate, James Fowler
Louth, Orme's Almshouses, Eastgate
Louth, Orme's Almshouses, Eastgate
Louth, Orme's Almshouses, Eastgate

Warden's Lodge at the entrance to Orme's Almshouses.

"Ten almshouses arranged in two terraces of 4 and 6 dwellings, and a warden's lodge, enclosed by a wall and railings.

Built for the Trustees of the Orme Almshouses, endowed by the Revd. Frederick Orme between 1885-1888 and designed by James Fowler"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1415542 

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, Orme's Almshouses, Eastgate, James Fowler
Louth, Orme's Almshouses, Eastgate
Louth, Orme's Almshouses, Eastgate
Louth, Orme's Almshouses, Eastgate

"The Orme Almshouses and gardens were constructed on part of the site formerly occupied by the House of Correction, built in 1620, extended in 1826 and enclosed by a 23ft high wall.

Under the 1865 Prison Act, prisoner facilities were provided elsewhere in Lincolnshire, and in 1872 the site and buildings were sold to John Walmsley, a bone crusher and manure merchant of Queen Street.

He demolished the buildings, re-sited the former prison clock on the front of his warehouse and sold off parcels of land.

The northern part of the site was developed for housing and a strip on the south side was sold to Louth Corporation to straighten Eastgate.

The remaining land was sold to the Revd. Frederick Orme who, being 'desirous of erecting Almshouses for aged pensioners and a Lodge-House', established an Almshouse Trust in January 1885"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1415542 

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, Orme's Almshouses, Eastgate, James Fowler
Louth, Pack Horse Inn, Eastgate
Louth, Pack Horse Inn, Eastgate
Louth, Pack Horse Inn, Eastgate

"Pack Horse Inn dated 1750 on inside of carriage arch"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359884 

Mentioned in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1885

"Curtis Joseph, Pack Horse P.H. 81 Eastgate"

Victorian "VR" wall post box visible in this image. 

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, Pack Horse Inn, Eastgate, Public House
Louth, Playhouse Cinema, Cannon Street
Louth, Playhouse Cinema, Cannon Street
Louth, Playhouse Cinema, Cannon Street

Playhouse Cinema which opened in 1929.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/24828

DB 7 March 2018 

Louth, Playhouse Cinema, Cannon Street
Louth, Railway Station
Louth, Railway Station
Louth, Railway Station

Opened in 1848, Louth station was on the East Lincolnshire Railway, opened in 1848.

The Tudor Gothic style with a large porte-cochère, (covered carriage entrance), over the main doorway was designed to give a sense of occasion to travelling by train. Furthermore, it was the entrance for all, not just the well to do as would be the case in the country house which its design resembled.

Passenger trains ceased in 1970 but goods trains to the malthouse alongside the station ran for another ten years.

This building has since been converted into apartments.

Peter Grey Archive, 1970

Louth, Railway station
Louth, Rectory, Westgate
Louth, Rectory, Westgate
Louth, Rectory, Westgate

"Rectory 1828 viewed from the tower of St James Church.

"Red brick with slate roofs plus brick coped gables and kneelers.

4 tall brick stacks with diagonal shafts"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1308635 

DB 22 September 2015 

Louth, Rectory, Westgate
Louth, Sessions House, Eastgate
Louth, Sessions House, Eastgate
Louth, Sessions House, Eastgate

Former Magistrates' Court but since 2011 the home of Louth Town Council.

"The Sessions House on Eastgate was built in 1874 and was originally home to Louth Magistrates' Court"

http://www.louthtowncouncil.gov.uk/Sessions%20House.htm 

DB 12 September 2018 

Louth, Sessions House, Magistrates' Court, Town Council
Louth, St James
Louth, St James
Louth, St James

St James's Church in Louth, viewed from Westgate. The magnificent Perpendicular spire, 295 ft high, was completed in 1515.

Westgate has some very fine Georgian houses, including buildings belonging to the Grammar School.

Postcard, c1910

Louth, St James, spire, Westgate, Grammar School,
Louth, St James
Louth, St James
Louth, St James

View from Bridge Street.

An impressive neo-Classical terrace of six houses built in the mid-1820s is visible on the left.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063266 

St. James’s has the tallest spire of any medieval parish church in the country.

DB 21 June 2016

Louth, St James, Bridge Street
Louth, St James
Louth, St James
Louth, St James

View from Upgate on the corner with Mercer Row.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1885 gives the times of service as

"St. James' Church, Westgate, Rev. Canon Albert Sydney Wilde M.A. rector, 8 & 10.30 a.m. ; 3 & 6.30 p.m. ; daily, 8 a.m. & 5 p.m"

DB 25 November 2014 

Louth, St James
Louth, St James, Chancel, East Window
Louth, St James, Chancel, East Window
Louth, St James, Chancel, East Window

C15 seven light window with C19 stained glass.

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, Chancel, East Window
Louth, St James, Chancel, Roof
Louth, St James, Chancel, Roof
Louth, St James, Chancel, Roof

 

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, Chancel, Roof
Louth, St James, Chancel, Sanctuary
Louth, St James, Chancel, Sanctuary
Louth, St James, Chancel, Sanctuary

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"the chancel and its aisles were thoroughly restored in 1860:

the reredos, of stone and alabaster, contains a figure of Our Lord and angels in adoration on either side, and in niches are statues of the Evangelists in marble"

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, Chancel
Louth, St James, Lincolnshire Rising
Louth, St James, Lincolnshire Rising
Louth, St James, Lincolnshire Rising

Blue plaque on the wall opposite to the south entrance of the church. 

"The Lincolnshire Rising was a brief rising by Roman Catholics against the establishment of the Church of England by Henry VIII and the dissolution of the monasteries set in motion by Thomas Cromwell"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilgrimage_of_Grace 

It was the occasion on which Henry VIII famously described the shire as "one of the most brute and beastly in the realm"

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, Lincolnshire Rising, Henry VIII
Louth, St James, Nave
Louth, St James, Nave
Louth, St James, Nave

Looking east towards the chancel.

"The chancel and nave were re-built between 1430 and 1440"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_James%27_Church,_Louth 

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, Nave
Louth, St James, Nave
Louth, St James, Nave
Louth, St James, Nave

Looking west towards the tower arch which Pevsner comments "is of a prodigious height".

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, nave, tower arch
Louth, St James, Nave, Font
Louth, St James, Nave, Font
Louth, St James, Nave, Font

Pevsner states

"1867 by G.F.Bodley, alabaster with crocketed ogees around the stem". 

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, Font, G.F.Bodley
Louth, St James, Nave, Pulpit
Louth, St James, Nave, Pulpit
Louth, St James, Nave, Pulpit

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1913 states

"the pulpit is of oak, panelled and finished with carved canopies, in which are statuettes of the Apostles"

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, Nave, Pulpit
Louth, St James, Nave, Roof
Louth, St James, Nave, Roof
Louth, St James, Nave, Roof

"The nave roof was replaced in 1825"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_James%27_Church,_Louth 

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, Nave, Roof
Louth, St James, North Aisle
Louth, St James, North Aisle
Louth, St James, North Aisle

Looking towards the west end.

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, North Aisle
Louth, St James, North Aisle
Louth, St James, North Aisle
Louth, St James, North Aisle

View from the north aisle, across the nave and into the south aisle.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states that there are 1,300 sittings. 

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, North Aisle
Louth, St James, North Aisle, Font
Louth, St James, North Aisle, Font
Louth, St James, North Aisle, Font

St James has two fonts. Pevsner states that this font was

"Found in a garden. Octagonal, Perp, with a panelled stem and a leaf frieze on the bowl"

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, Font
Louth, St James, North Chancel Chapel
Louth, St James, North Chancel Chapel
Louth, St James, North Chancel Chapel

"The chapel on the North side of the chancel contains 2 angels in wood, the only survivors from the roof of the original building, and some renovated mediaeval stalls"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063264 

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, North Chancel Chapel
Louth, St James, Organ
Louth, St James, Organ
Louth, St James, Organ

There is a plaque on the keyboard reading 

"NORMAN & BEARD LTD 1911" 

Norman and Beard were a pipe organ manufacturer based in Norwich from 1887 to 1916.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_and_Beard 

The 1911 event was a rebuild in memory of Robert Allott. 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1911 states

"in 1762 David Atkinson erected an organ in the church and gave £600 Louth Navigation shares to provide a salary for the organist"

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, Organ, Norman and Beard
Louth, St James, South Chancel Chapel
Louth, St James, South Chancel Chapel
Louth, St James, South Chancel Chapel

Looking east.

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James
Louth, St James, South Chancel Chapel
Louth, St James, South Chancel Chapel
Louth, St James, South Chancel Chapel

 

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, South Chancel Chapel
Louth, St James, Tower
Louth, St James, Tower
Louth, St James, Tower

Looking upwards inside the tower.

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, Tower
Louth, St James, Tower
Louth, St James, Tower
Louth, St James, Tower

86 feet high lierne-vault inside the tower.

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, Tower
Louth, St James, Tower
Louth, St James, Tower
Louth, St James, Tower

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1913 states

"A lofty tower of three stages, erected in 1516, with a pierced and panelled parapet, four large octagonal turret-pinnacles connected by flying buttresses with the spire, and twelve smaller pinnacles; the crocketed spire, to the cross by which it is surmounted, is 147 feet in height, and the total height from the floor of the church is 294 feet"

"in 1843 the spire was seriously injured by lightning, but was subsequently restored under the direction of the late Mr. L. N. Cottingham, and completed in 1846, at a cost of £1,746 19s. 3d." 

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, Tower
Louth, St James, Tower, West Window
Louth, St James, Tower, West Window
Louth, St James, Tower, West Window

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"the west window was filled with stained glass at the cost of Cornelius Parker esq. J .P ."

DB 12 September 2018

Louth, St James, Tower, West Window
Louth, St Michael
Louth, St Michael
Louth, St Michael

St Michael’s dates from 1863 and was designed in Gothic style by Louth architect James Fowler.

The lofty interior is largely brick - mostly red, but with black and yellow decoration - and is lavishly furnished.

The Lady Chapel, with its apse, dates from 1908.

September 2012

Louth, St Michael church, James Fowler, Lady Chapel
Louth, Thorpe Hall
Louth, Thorpe Hall
Louth, Thorpe Hall

The earliest part of the house is 1584.

It was acquired by the Bolle family (originally from Swineshead, and also at Haugh).

The house was rebuilt in the late 17th century and was extensively restored in the 20th.

More details about this house and its owners can be found in T R Leach's book, 'Lincolnshire Country Houses and their Families: Part 1', published by SLHA.  Buy a copy.

Louth, Thorpe Hall, Bolle
Louth, Thorpe Hall Mill
Louth, Thorpe Hall Mill
Louth, Thorpe Hall Mill

Thorpe Hall Mill (TF 320871) was built in the eighteenth century as a papermill and was converted for corn grinding in about 1840.

At one time it was 5 storeys high and fifty feet long with an 18-foot waterwheel.

It continued in use as a corn mill until about 1920; in the recent past it has been used as a trout farm.

Print by J W Wilson, 1840

Louth, papermill, river Lud, Thorpe Hall,
Louth, Thorpe Hall Mill
Louth, Thorpe Hall Mill
Louth, Thorpe Hall Mill

Thorpe Hall Mill (TF 320871) was built in the eighteenth century as a papermill and was converted for corn grinding in about 1840.

At one time it was 5 storeys high and fifty feet long with an 18-foot waterwheel.

It continued in use as a corn mill until about 1920; in the recent past it has been used as a trout farm.

undated postcard
Louth, paper mill
Louth, Toll Cottage
Louth, Toll Cottage
Louth, Toll Cottage

The route across the Wolds from Louth to Horncastle became a turnpike following the Louth Turnpike Act of 1770.

This early 19th century toll cottage is about 1 mile SW of the centre of Louth and stands at the corner of Horncastle Road and Halfpenny Lane (TF 319860).

Frank Robinson, 2010

Louth, toll cottage house, Halfpenny Lane,
Louth, Town Hall, Eastgate
Louth, Town Hall, Eastgate
Louth, Town Hall, Eastgate

"Architect, Pearson Bellamy. Elaborate building of 3 storeys in stone and brick"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063257 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The Town Hall and Borough Police Station, in Eastgate, erected in 1854, is a large edifice of brick and stucco, and contains a spacious assembly room"

The Town Council moved out to The Sessions House in May 2011 and the Town Hall is now a community owned asset.

http://www.louthtowncouncil.gov.uk/Sessions%20House.htm 

DB 7 March 2018

Louth, Town Hall, Eastgate, Pearson Bellamy
Louth, Town Hall, Eastgate
Louth, Town Hall, Eastgate
Louth, Town Hall, Eastgate

Stairs leading up to the Assembly Room.

DB 7 March 2018

Louth, Town Hall, Eastgate
Louth, Town Hall, Eastgate
Louth, Town Hall, Eastgate
Louth, Town Hall, Eastgate

Assembly Room.

DB 7 March 2018

Louth, Town Hall, Eastgate
Louth, War Memorial, Eastgate
Louth, War Memorial, Eastgate
Louth, War Memorial, Eastgate

"Louth War Memorial, unveiled in 1921"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1415930 

DB 12 September 2018 

Louth, War Memorial, Eastgate
Louth, Wheatsheaf Inn, Westgate
Louth, Wheatsheaf Inn, Westgate
Louth, Wheatsheaf Inn, Westgate

"A low 2-storey late C17 house with steep pantile roof, ? brick covered with roughcast.

Painted legend 'Established 1627'"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1147069 

Listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1885

"Stephenson Darius, Wheat Sheaf P.H. 56 Westgate"

DB 7 March 2018 

Louth, Wheatsheaf Inn, Public House, westgate
Louth, Ye Olde Whyte Swanne, Eastgate
Louth, Ye Olde Whyte Swanne, Eastgate
Louth, Ye Olde Whyte Swanne, Eastgate

"C17. Low 2-storey building"

http://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1165866 

Listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919

"Johnson Jesse, Ye Olde Whyte Swanne P.H. Eastgate"

DB 7 March 2018

Louth, Ye Olde Whyte Swanne, Public House