Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Luddington
 
Luddington, New Mill (1)
Luddington, New Mill (1)
Luddington, New Mill (1)

This mill, built in the mid-1850s, originally had five floors.

Jon Sass Collection, photograph 1930s

Luddington, New Mill, Jon Sass, windmill
Luddington, New Mill (2)
Luddington, New Mill (2)
Luddington, New Mill (2)

Milling ceased at this mill in 1929 after damage in a gale.

Location of mill: SE 828 174

Peter Kirk Collection, 2002
Luddington, New Mill, windmill, Peter Kirk
Luddington, Roman Catholic Chapel
Luddington, Roman Catholic Chapel
Luddington, Roman Catholic Chapel

The church was built in 1877 to serve the population of poor and mainly Irish agricultural workers who arrived in the Isle of Axholme in the wake of the potato famine in the 1840s.

It was dedicated to St Joseph and St Dymphna by the Norbertines, who had established themselves at nearby Crowle in 1872.

Luddington, Roman Catholic, St Joseph, St Dymphna, Irish
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald

St Oswald’s stands half a mile from the present village on the site of an earlier church.

Built in 1855 in Early English style, its tall tower with its broach spire is a landmark in the surrounding flat countryside.

September 2010

Luddington, St Oswald church
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald

The tower of St Oswald's has angle buttresses - architectural features rather than purely structural ones.

August 2015

Luddington, St Oswald church
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald

St Oswald's has lancet windows in the Early English style.

August 2015

Luddington, St Oswald church
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald
August 2015
Luddington, St Oswald church
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald
August 2015
Luddington, St Oswald church
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald
Luddington, St Oswald

The church spire undergoing repairs in July 1978.

Jews' Court collection, 1978

Luddington, St Oswald