Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Maltby le Marsh
 
Maltby le Marsh, All Saints
Maltby le Marsh, All Saints
Maltby le Marsh, All Saints

Built of greenstone, in common with most churches in this area.

The nave is the earliest element of the church (early fourteenth century). The tower was built a century later and heavily restored in 1700.

The rather 'mean' looking chancel was originally longer.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1997

Maltby le Marsh, All Saints church
Maltby le Marsh, All Saints, font
Maltby le Marsh, All Saints, font
Maltby le Marsh, All Saints, font

An interesting font of the fifteenth century, though sadly neglected in this church shortly before it was declared redundant.

Four men are depicted on the stem of the font and four angels on the bowl.

Naomi Field, 1995

Maltby le Marsh, All Saints, font
Maltby le Marsh, All Saints, interior
Maltby le Marsh, All Saints, interior
Maltby le Marsh, All Saints, interior

General interior view looking east with the font in the foreground.

The nave dates from c.1300 and the windows are in Early English style.

Naomi Field, 1995

Maltby le Marsh, All Saints
Maltby le Marsh, All Saints, monument
Maltby le Marsh, All Saints, monument
Maltby le Marsh, All Saints, monument

This recumbent effigy, dating from c.1300, is of a knight in chain-mail and surcoat. There are two angels by his pillow and two lions at his feet.

Naomi Field, 1995

Maltby le Marsh, All Saints, monument
Maltby le Marsh, Windmill (1)
Maltby le Marsh, Windmill (1)
Maltby le Marsh, Windmill (1)

John Saunderson, millwright of Louth, built this mill in 1841. It had three pairs of stones.

The cap was blown off in 1864 and again in 1881.

Jon Sass Collection, photograph c.1935

Maltby le Marsh, windmill, Jon Sass, Saunderson
Maltby le Marsh, Windmill (2)
Maltby le Marsh, Windmill (2)
Maltby le Marsh, Windmill (2)

The windmill at Maltby le Marsh worked by wind until 1952.

Location of mill: TF 470 820

Peter Kirk Collection, 1997

Maltby le Marsh, windmill, Peter Kirk