Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Market Rasen
 
Market Rasen, Advocate Arms (Formerly Gordon Arms), Queen Street
Market Rasen, Advocate Arms (Formerly Gordon Arms), Queen Street
Market Rasen, Advocate Arms (Formerly Gordon Arms), Queen Street

"Early 19C. Painted brick"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1309154 

Listed in White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856

"Gordon Arms, Jph. Blakoe"

DB 8 April 2019 

Market Rasen, Advocate Arms (Formerly Gordon Arms)
Market Rasen, Aston Arms, Market Place
Market Rasen, Aston Arms, Market Place
Market Rasen, Aston Arms, Market Place

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"Massam George Hardy, Aston Arms commercial hotel, lessee of tolls & farmer; good stabling & carriage accommodation; billiards, Market place"

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Aston Arms, Public House
Market Rasen, Celebrations
Market Rasen, Celebrations
Market Rasen, Celebrations
Market Place with the Aston Arms visible in the background.
Market Rasen, celebrations, Market Place
Market Rasen, Corn Exchange, Queen Street
Market Rasen, Corn Exchange, Queen Street
Market Rasen, Corn Exchange, Queen Street

"Corn Exchange 1854 by H Goddard"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1309121 

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"This small town has now two rival Corn Exchanges, situated in the Market place and Queen street, and both erected by companies of shareholders, in 1854-5, each at the cost of about £1800.
 
The two companies are about to amalgamate, so that one of the buildings may be used as a Corn Exchange and the other as a Market Hall, for the sale of meat. vegetables, butter, poultry, &c."
 
DB 8 April 2019 

Market Rasen, Corn Exchange
Market Rasen, Corn Mill & Mill Bridge, Caistor Road
Market Rasen, Corn Mill & Mill Bridge, Caistor Road
Market Rasen, Corn Mill & Mill Bridge, Caistor Road

"Early 19C. Brick bridge with stone dressings going under the Mill and the road in front"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1165853 

"Early 19C. Corn grinding water mill"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359761 

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"The parish has extensive brick and tile yards, three breweries, and several maltkilns and corn mills"

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Mill Bridge, Corn Mill
Market Rasen, Corn Mill, Caistor Road
Market Rasen, Corn Mill, Caistor Road
Market Rasen, Corn Mill, Caistor Road

"2 storey late 19C extension to side with door and 5 stone steps"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359761 

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Corn Mill
Market Rasen, De Aston School
Market Rasen, De Aston School
Market Rasen, De Aston School

The original school building here, designed by James Fowler of Louth, was built in 1860 for £5000.

In 1876 there were 40 boys on roll, of whom 15 were boarders.

postcard published by C Fieldhouse of Market Rasen, 1906

Market Rasen, De Aston School, C Fieldhouse
Market Rasen, Fire Engine House, Kilnwell Road
Market Rasen, Fire Engine House, Kilnwell Road
Market Rasen, Fire Engine House, Kilnwell Road

Date stone reads "1869".

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"Fire Brigade, Kilnwell road, Charles Drayton, captain, with 1 engineer & 6 men"

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Fire Engine House
Market Rasen, Holy Rood, Roman Catholic Church
Market Rasen, Holy Rood, Roman Catholic Church
Market Rasen, Holy Rood, Roman Catholic Church

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The Catholic church, dedicated to the Holy Rood, was built in 1824, and is an edifice of brick, enlarged in I869 by adding aisles and tower:

there are several stained windows, two of which are memorials to the late Mrs. Drakes and the late Rev. Algernon Moore:

the mission here was established in 1780"

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Holy Rood, Roman Catholic Church
Market Rasen, Holy Rood, Roman Catholic Church
Market Rasen, Holy Rood, Roman Catholic Church
Market Rasen, Holy Rood, Roman Catholic Church

Statue on south front of west tower.

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Holy Rood, Roman Catholic Church
Market Rasen, Holy Rood, Roman Catholic Presbytery
Market Rasen, Holy Rood, Roman Catholic Presbytery
Market Rasen, Holy Rood, Roman Catholic Presbytery

Presbytery adjacent to the church.

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Holy Rood, Roman Catholic Presbytery
Market Rasen, Holy Rood, Roman Catholic School
Market Rasen, Holy Rood, Roman Catholic School
Market Rasen, Holy Rood, Roman Catholic School
Market Rasen, Holy Rood, School
Market Rasen, King Street
Market Rasen, King Street
Market Rasen, King Street

King Street is the main road (A631) leading westwards from the Market Place.

The street is comparatively narrow with a few shops on the south side.

drawing by Tom Brooker, 1970

Market Rasen, King Street
Market Rasen, Liberal Club & Institute, Chapel Street
Market Rasen, Liberal Club & Institute, Chapel Street
Market Rasen, Liberal Club & Institute, Chapel Street

Date stone reads

"LIBERAL CLUB AND INSTITUTE 1908"

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"Market Rasen Liberal Club Co. Limited (Charles Robert Herring, sec.), Chapel street"

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Liberal Club & Institute, Chapel Street
Market Rasen, Liberal Club & Institute, Chapel Street
Market Rasen, Liberal Club & Institute, Chapel Street
Market Rasen, Liberal Club & Institute, Chapel Street

One of the foundation stones.

"Sir Robert William Perks, 1st Baronet (24 April 1849 – 30 November 1934) was a British Liberal politician.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Perks 

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Liberal Club & Institute, Chapel Street
Market Rasen, Magistrates' Court and Police Station, Kilnwell Road
Market Rasen, Magistrates' Court and Police Station, Kilnwell Road
Market Rasen, Magistrates' Court and Police Station, Kilnwell Road

"1849. Brick with stone dressings"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063450 

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"The POLICE STATION was erected by the magistrates for this division of the county in 1849, at the cost of about £2000.

It comprises a commodious court room, a lock-up, and a house for the superintending constable.

Petty Sessions are held here every alternate Monday, and George Saffery, Esq., is. clerk to the magistrates.

Here are two Associations for the Prosecution of Felons, and Mr. G. Saffery and Messrs. Rhodes and Son are the clerks"

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Magistrates' Court and Police Station
Market Rasen, Magistrates' Court and Police Station, Kilnwell Road
Market Rasen, Magistrates' Court and Police Station, Kilnwell Road
Market Rasen, Magistrates' Court and Police Station, Kilnwell Road

Old Police Station entrance dated 1849.

The building is now home to the Town Council. 

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Magistrates' Court and Police Station
Market Rasen, Market Place, Water Pump
Market Rasen, Market Place, Water Pump
Market Rasen, Market Place, Water Pump

Victorian water pump.

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Water Pump
Market Rasen, Market Rasen Brewery Co. Limited, Oxford Street
Market Rasen, Market Rasen Brewery Co. Limited, Oxford Street
Market Rasen, Market Rasen Brewery Co. Limited, Oxford Street

Date above the door reads "1884". 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1909 has an entry :-

"Market Rasen Brewery Co. Limited (The) (Arthur J. Tillett, manager), brewers & ale & stout 'bottlers; offices & brewery, Oxford street, Market Rasen; stores, Normanby-by-Spital, Bardney & Minting"

DB 1 June 2019 

Market Rasen Brewery Co. Limited
Market Rasen, Market Rasen Brewery Co. Limited, Oxford Street
Market Rasen, Market Rasen Brewery Co. Limited, Oxford Street
Market Rasen, Market Rasen Brewery Co. Limited, Oxford Street

Advertisement in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1909.

Market Rasen Brewery Co. Limited
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel

The Methodist Church at Market Rasen was built in 1863 at a cost of c.£4000.

Frank Robinson, 2010
Market Rasen, Methodist Church,
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel

The north facade of the chapel, with its impressive entrance, looks directly down Union Street.

October 2014

Market Rasen, Methodist chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel

This hugely impressive building was designed by William Botterill of Hull and opened in 1862.

A Sunday School building was added to the rear in 1891.

The chapel in Grade II* listed.

October 2014
Market Rasen, Methodist chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel

A memorable feature of this chapel is the imposing portico with four grand Ionic columns over the entrance.

October 2014

Market Rasen, Methodist chapel, ionic
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel

The detailed carving of the Ionic capitals remains sharp after more than 150 years.

May 2018

Market Rasen, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel

The chapel interior is largely unchanged, and still retains its original numbered box pews, a double-decker pulpit and a beautiful oval gallery.

May 2018

Market Rasen, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Methodist Chapel

View from the top of the gallery. The design is typical of town chapels of the period.

May 2018

Market Rasen, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, Primitive Methodist Chapel, Jameson Bridge Street
Market Rasen, Primitive Methodist Chapel, Jameson Bridge Street
Market Rasen, Primitive Methodist Chapel, Jameson Bridge Street

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1909 states :-

"Primitive Methodist, Jameson Bridge street, Rev. John Wilson, Superintendent; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; wed. 7 p.m. winter; 7.15 p.m. summer"

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Market Rasen & Caistor Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson & Eileen H Mumby September 1997 (Revised August 1998) it is stated that :-

"The Society was formed on the 19.5.1819 and in 1836 they purchased the old Jameson Bridge Street Wesleyan chapel which they reopened on the 14.5.1837.

The foundation stone for a new chapel, on the same site, was laid on the 4.7.1866 and the last service was held in mid 1940.

The chapel was sold in 1943 and is now in use as a Masonic Lodge"

DB 1 June 2019

Market Rasen, Primitive Methodist Chapel, Jameson Bridge Street
Market Rasen, Queen Street
Market Rasen, Queen Street
Market Rasen, Queen Street

Queen Street, the main shopping street in the centre of Market Rasen, for a long time carried not only the A631 Gainsborough-Louth traffic but also that on the A46 between Lincoln and Grimsby.

Here, in a pre-war photograph, looking west towards Louth, an unusual road sign indicates the left turn down George Street towards Caistor, Brigg and Grimsby. (The A46 now by-passes the town.)

Undated postcard

Market Rasen, Queen Street,
Market Rasen, Railway Signal Box (Pictured at Quorn & Woodhouse)
Market Rasen, Railway Signal Box (Pictured at Quorn & Woodhouse)
Market Rasen, Railway Signal Box (Pictured at Quorn & Woodhouse)

Signal box moved bodily from Market Rasen and is now situated at the south end of Quorn & Woodhouse Station on the preserved Great Central Railway.

"The box was originally located at Market Rasen and is an MS&L box of circa 1886 vintage"

https://www.gcrailway.co.uk/station-facilities/signal-box-quorn-woodhouse/ 

DB 20 April 2019

Market Rasen, Railway Signal Box
Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station

"Railway station. 1848 for the Great Grimsby and Sheffield Junction Railway, later Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359780 

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station

"The station was a substantial structure with an overall roof below which all the usual station facilities could be found including a W. H. Smith bookstall"

"It is the only station now between Lincoln and Barnetby, but in the past there were many more (these mainly succumbed to the Beeching Axe in 1965).

The signal box which was at the south end of the Lincoln platform was removed to Great Central Railway (heritage railway) at Quorn and re-erected in 1987.

Nowadays it is on the "Grimsby - Lincoln - Newark" line and is managed by East Midlands Trains"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_Rasen_railway_station 

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station

View from Platform 2.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1889 states :-

"MARKET RASEN is a market town and parish, with a station on the Hull and Lincoln branch of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire railway"

"The railway crosses the main street and the station is on the south side of the town"

"Railway Station, William Crossland Fell, station master" 

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station

"Since closing in 1997, the landmark Victorian building had fallen into disrepair and had been placed on the Buildings at Risk Register.

It stood empty for 21 years before it was bought at auction for £50,000 by Lindum Group Ltd in 2015.

Now, thanks to significant investment from the National Lottery, and the efforts of dedicated volunteers who make up the Market Rasen Station Community Project Ltd, the building has been given a new lease of life.

While no longer serving as a waiting room for travellers, the building is home to a heritage centre which charts the history of the station, a community room for use by local people and business space, which is home to two local companies, employing ten people between them"

https://lindumgroup.com/news/2018/09/three-year-restoration-of-market-rasen-station-to-be-unveiled 

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station

Wooden sign on display at the station. 

"This is one of the wooden signs that greeted people as they came into town. 

It forms part of Rase Heritage Society's Collection and is on loan to the Market Rasen Station Adoption Group. 

With thanks to Martin Barnard for his restoration work"

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Rase Heritage Society, Sign
Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station
Market Rasen, Railway Station

The fast train from Lincoln arriving at Market Rasen station in 1887 or 1888.

The locomotive in the photo is a Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway class 23, an 0-6-0.

This was shortly before interlocking block signalling was installed on this line.


Courtesy Chris Padley

Market Rasen, railway station, train,
Market Rasen, St Thomas
Market Rasen, St Thomas
Market Rasen, St Thomas

St Thomas’s has a weather-beaten 15th century ironstone tower, but much of the rest of the church dates from James Fowler’s restoration of 1862.

The nave arcades, though, are in part medieval, and the south doorway is late Norman.

November 2012

Market Rasen, St Thomas, James Fowler
Market Rasen, St Thomas
Market Rasen, St Thomas
Market Rasen, St Thomas

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of St. Thomas is a building of stone in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch, which contains a Norman arch of the 11th century, organ chamber and vestry, forming a kind of transept, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 8 bells, two of which were added in 1887:

the top of the tower was restored in 1884:

built into the west end of the south aisle is a sculptured tablet, representing the "Fall of Man," with a legend, now almost illegible, but probably a Latin quotation of I Cor. XV. 22:

the church was partially restored about 1862, when the nave was almost wholly rebuilt, the organ chamber and vestry erected, the tower arch opened, new roofs fixed and the interior refitted:

a new organ was introduced in 1882, and a lectern given in memory of the Rev. Samuel Allen Windle, vicar here 1878-80:

the stained east window is a memorial to Thomas Rhodes, and a memorial brass was placed in 1899 to the Rev. Sanford. George Scobell, vicar 1846-66, and his wife:

the church plate dates from 1630:

there are 526 sittings"

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Saint Thomas, Church
Market Rasen, St Thomas
Market Rasen, St Thomas
Market Rasen, St Thomas

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 before the later Victorian alterations states :-

"The CHURCH (St. Thomas the Apostle) consists of a nave with aisles, a chancel, and a western tower.

The upper windows of the latter are very peculiar, each having a pointed arch, divided into two pointed lights and a quartrefoil head, with a strong mullion up the centre, crossed by a transom, terminating at the imposts.

On the south side of the tower was a representation of Adam and Eve under the branches of a fruit tree, on which was the dart of death, but it fell down and was broken to pieces in 1850.

A new organ was purchased in 1853, at the cost of £150.

The Vicarage, valued in K.B. at £10, and now at £223, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor and incumbency of the Rev. Sanford G. Scobell, who is entitled to the unusual tithe of ale, and has 93A. 3R. 17P. of glebe, mostly allotted in lieu of tithes at the enclosure in 1779.

Mr. Wm. Rawson is the clerk, and James Baxter sexton"

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, Saint Thomas, Church
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Chancel, East Window
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Chancel, East Window
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Chancel, East Window

Church Guide states :-

"The stained glass window of the sanctuary dates from 1879 and is a memorial to Thomas Rhodes, a prominent local solicitor"

DB 1 June 2019

Market Rasen, Saint Thomas, Church
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Chancel, Organ
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Chancel, Organ
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Chancel, Organ

Church Guide states :- 

"The present organ was placed in the chancel in 1995.

It is a Thomas Pendlebury organ originally built in 1904 and rebuilt by John Lightbrown & Sons when bought to replace the earlier organ"

Maker's plate reads "THOS. PENDLEBURY 1912 LEIGH LANCS" 

https://leigh.life/index.php?page=wiki&id=leighlife:thomas_pendlebury 

DB 1 June 2019

Market Rasen, Saint Thomas, Church, organ, Thomas Pendlebury
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Chancel, Sanctuary
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Chancel, Sanctuary
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Chancel, Sanctuary

Detailed view of the sanctuary.

DB 1 June 2019

Market Rasen, Saint Thomas, Church
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Lady Chapel
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Lady Chapel
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Lady Chapel

Chapel added 1877.

Stained glass window by Edward Payne inserted 1959.

http://www.box-village.com/publications-new-2/edward-payne/ 

DB 1 June 2019

Market Rasen, Saint Thomas, Church, Edward Payne
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Nave
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Nave
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Nave

Looking east towards the chancel.

"Nave and chancel c. 1300 with Perpendicular west doorway and east window. Tower c. 1405. All heavily restored in 1862 by the Diocesan Architect James Fowler"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1165917 

DB 1 June 2019

Market Rasen, Saint Thomas, Church
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Nave
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Nave
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Nave

Looking west towards the tower arch.

Church Guide states that the pews date from the 1862 restoration. 

DB 1 June 2019

Market Rasen, Saint Thomas, Church
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Nave, Memorial
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Nave, Memorial
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Nave, Memorial

First World War memorial made from Sicilian Marble.

DB 1 June 2019

Market Rasen, Saint Thomas, Church
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Nave, Royal Arms
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Nave, Royal Arms
Market Rasen, St Thomas, Nave, Royal Arms

Victorian royal arms.

At one time on the wall above the entance - now mounted on the painted railings across the tower arch.

DB 1 June 2019

Market Rasen, Saint Thomas, Church
Market Rasen, St Thomas, North Aisle
Market Rasen, St Thomas, North Aisle
Market Rasen, St Thomas, North Aisle

Looking east towards the Lady Chapel.

DB 1 June 2019

Market Rasen, Saint Thomas, Church
Market Rasen, St Thomas, North Aisle
Market Rasen, St Thomas, North Aisle
Market Rasen, St Thomas, North Aisle

Looking west.

Church Guide states :-

"In the north aisle the octagonal columns with moulded capitals supporting arches with two chamfers are original, probably from the fourteenth century. It is likely that the entire church was rebuilt at this time"

DB 1 June 2019

Market Rasen, Saint Thomas, Church
Market Rasen, St Thomas, North Aisle, Memorial Window
Market Rasen, St Thomas, North Aisle, Memorial Window
Market Rasen, St Thomas, North Aisle, Memorial Window

Second World War memorial window.

DB 1 June 2019

Market Rasen, Saint Thomas, Church, glass
Market Rasen, St Thomas, South Aisle
Market Rasen, St Thomas, South Aisle
Market Rasen, St Thomas, South Aisle

Looking east.

Church Guide states :-

"In the south aisle, in an arch at the east end, is positioned a crucifix.

This forms part of the 1914-18 War Memorial and was originally placed on a rood beam across the chancel arch though not until 1933.

It was removed to the tower wall at the west end of the church when the beam was found to be unsafe, During the work on the bell project in the tower in 1999 it was moved to its present position"

DB 1 June 2019

Market Rasen, Saint Thomas, Church
Market Rasen, St Thomas, South Aisle, Font
Market Rasen, St Thomas, South Aisle, Font
Market Rasen, St Thomas, South Aisle, Font

Modern font 1963 made from polished Ancaster stone.

Designed by L.H. Bond and made by Mr George Brown a local stonemason.

DB 1 June 2019

Market Rasen, Saint Thomas, Church
Market Rasen, St Thomas, South Aisle, Sculptured Tablet
Market Rasen, St Thomas, South Aisle, Sculptured Tablet
Market Rasen, St Thomas, South Aisle, Sculptured Tablet

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"built into the west end of the south aisle is a sculptured tablet, representing the "Fall of Man," with a legend, now almost illegible, but probably a Latin quotation of I Cor. XV. 22"

DB 1 June 2019

Market Rasen, Saint Thomas, Church
Market Rasen, The George, George Street
Market Rasen, The George, George Street
Market Rasen, The George, George Street

"Late 18C and 19C brick painted public house 2 storey with pantile roof"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063449 

White's Directory of Lincolnshire lists 10 Inns and Taverns in the town :-

Aston Arms, Northing Dixon Lister

George Tavern, Wm. Parker

Gordon Arms, Jph. Blakoe

Greyhound, James Scott

King's Head, Benjamin Draper

Railway Hotel, Joseph Marriott

Red Lion, John Twigg

Swan, Edward Ingilby

White Hart,Wm.Goodson(posting)

White Lion, Charles York

There were also 5 beerhouses. 

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, The George, Public House
Market Rasen, Turnpike Milestone
Market Rasen, Turnpike Milestone
Market Rasen, Turnpike Milestone

There are several former turnpike milestones in Lincolnshire.

All made of stone and rather crudely lettered - along the A631 near Market Rasen (TF 117888, TF 134885, TF 149885, TF 165883, TF 181887).

This road was the former Louth-Bawtry turnpike, set up in 1765.

Ken Redmore, 2004

Market Rasen, milestone, turnpike, A631,
Market Rasen, United Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, United Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, United Methodist Chapel

This large chapel on the east side of Union Street was opened by the United Methodists in June 1861. It seated a congregation of 500.

The last service was held in 1963 and it has since been used for commercial purposes.

It is to be regretted that the facade on Union Street was altered by rendering and the insertion of a large doorway entrance.

May 2018



Market Rasen, United Methodist Chapel
Market Rasen, War Memorial, Chapel Street
Market Rasen, War Memorial, Chapel Street
Market Rasen, War Memorial, Chapel Street

"War memorial. c. 1923.

Polished white marble and bronze"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1271411 

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, War Memorial
Market Rasen, White Swan, Queen Street
Market Rasen, White Swan, Queen Street
Market Rasen, White Swan, Queen Street

Presumably this is the Swan listed in White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 :-

"Swan, Edward Ingilby" 

DB 8 April 2019

Market Rasen, White Swan, Queen Street