Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Marton
 
Marton, Ingleby Arms, High Street
Marton, Ingleby Arms, High Street
Marton, Ingleby Arms, High Street

Two public houses listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 :-

Daff Joseph, Ingleby Arms P.H

Smith John W. White Swan P.H

The same two public houses are mentioned in White's Directory of 1856 :-

Butler James, vict. Ingilby Arms 

Aukland Wm. vict. White Swan

The White Swan was a little further north along High Street but has been demolished.

DB 5 March 2019 

Marton, Ingleby Arms, High Street, Public House
Marton, Ingleby Arms, High Street
Marton, Ingleby Arms, High Street
Marton, Ingleby Arms, High Street

Detail of the pub sign.

DB 5 March 2019

Marton, Ingleby Arms, High Street, Public House
Marton, Port Mill (1)
Marton, Port Mill (1)
Marton, Port Mill (1)

Built in the late eighteenth century standing close to the Trent to the west of the village.

photograph from Exley Collection, 1927

Marton, Port Mill, Jon Sass, windmill
Marton, Port Mill (2)
Marton, Port Mill (2)
Marton, Port Mill (2)

Port Mill was derelict by the 1920s. It is listed Grade II.

Location of mill: SK 834 816

Peter Kirk Collection, 1998

Marton, Port Mill, windmill, Peter Kirk
Marton, St Margaret
Marton, St Margaret
Marton, St Margaret

'Thrilling', according to Henry Thorold¹, the tower of St. Margaret's church, Marton, has a late Saxon or early Norman tower with herringbone coursing.

The chancel arch is of similar date. The north arcade is late Norman; the south arcade is Early English.

There is a 12th century sculpture of the Crucifixion in the sanctuary north wall.

¹ Thorold, Henry, 1993. Lincolnshire Churches Revisited. Michael Russell


Mark Acton, 2006

Marton, church, Saxon tower,
Marton, St Margaret
Marton, St Margaret
Marton, St Margaret

A view from the south of the late Saxon or early Norman tower with herringbone coursing at Marton St Margaret.

Frank Robinson, 2011

Marton, church Saxon tower,
Marton, St Margaret
Marton, St Margaret
Marton, St Margaret

Both nave and chancel (with the exception of the bay in the extreme east) date from the twelfth century. The chancel windows are late fifteenth or early sixteenth century.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1990

Marton, St Margaret
Marton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Marton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Marton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Gainsborough Circuit Past And Present" prepared by Colin Shepherdson & Jim English March 1998 (Revised August 1998) it is stated that :-

"A Society was formed in 1794 and a chapel erected in the High Street in 1814.

A schoolroom was added to the rear of the chapel in 1823 and further extended in 1964 by the addition of a kitchen and toilets.

It is still in use with a membership of 10"

DB 5 March 2019 

Marton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Marton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Marton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Marton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Sign displayed on the front wall of the chapel as part of the village heritage trail.

DB 5 March 2019.

Marton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel