Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
New Bolingbroke
 
New Bolingbroke, St Peter
New Bolingbroke, St Peter
New Bolingbroke, St Peter

The village was founded in 1823 by John Parkinson (steward to Sir Joseph Banks).

St Peter’s, though, is later, and was built by S.S.Teulon in 1854 in the style of the late 13th and early 14th centuries.

The brick church with stone dressings has nave, chancel, north aisle, organ chamber and an elaborate north east tower and spire.

May 2013

New Bolingbroke, St Peter, S S Teulon, John Parkinson
New Bolingbroke, St Peter
New Bolingbroke, St Peter
New Bolingbroke, St Peter

Detail of the odd tower and spire at St Peter's.  Most unusual - but Teulon was noted for his eccentricities.

May 2013

New Bolingbroke, St Peter, tower, Teulon
New Bolingbroke, St Peter
New Bolingbroke, St Peter
New Bolingbroke, St Peter

St Peter's is best seen when trees are not in full leaf. This view is from the north-east.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1991

New Bolingbroke, St Peter
New Bolingbroke, Railway Station
New Bolingbroke, Railway Station
New Bolingbroke, Railway Station

Opened with what was known as the ‘New Line’, between Coningsby Junction and Bellwater Junctions, in 1913, the line and station closed in 1970.

The route was created primarily to help speed excursionists from the Midlands to Skegness and Mablethorpe and it was very successful at doing this. It also served some small villages en route of which New Bolingbroke was one.

Everything in this view has gone now although the very distinctive former booking office, out of view to the right, remains in a new use to mark the location.

Peter Grey Archive, 1970

New Bolingbroke, railway station
New Bolingbroke, Rundle’s Mill
New Bolingbroke, Rundle’s Mill
New Bolingbroke, Rundle’s Mill

This Grade II listed tower was built in the 1820s as a five-storey, four-sailed mill.

Location of mill: TF 307 585

Peter Kirk Collection, 1998
New Bolingbroke, Rundle's Mill, Peter Kirk, windmill
New Bolingbroke, Village Street
New Bolingbroke, Village Street
New Bolingbroke, Village Street

In theis view along the main road through New Bolingbroke (present B1183) the Globe public house is on the right with Soulby's brewery alongside.

undated postcard

New Bolingbroke, Globe pub, Soulby brewery
New Bolingbroke, Watkinson's Mill
New Bolingbroke, Watkinson's Mill
New Bolingbroke, Watkinson's Mill

Watkinson's Mill survives as a shortened stump and is used as a store.

Jon Sass Collection, undated photograph

New Bolingbroke, Watkinson's Mill, Jon Sass, windmill
New Bolingbroke, Watkinson's Mill
New Bolingbroke, Watkinson's Mill
New Bolingbroke, Watkinson's Mill

Watkinson's Mill was built in the early 1820s with four storeys and four double-sided patent sails.

It is sometimes known as Carrington Mill.

Jon Sass Collection, undated photograph


New Bolingbroke, Watkinson's Mill, windmill, Jon Sass
Reverend Harness Rundle
Reverend Harness Rundle
Reverend Harness Rundle

Harness Rundle (1870-1943). Curate of Coningsby from 1901-13. Vicar of New Bolingbroke from 1913-43.

His son John began an agricultural engineering company in New Bolingbroke which continues to this day.

New Bolingbroke, Rundle