Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
North Willingham
 
North Willingham, St Thomas
North Willingham, St Thomas
North Willingham, St Thomas

St Thomas, North Willingham, has a medieval tower attached to a late eighteenth century nave and chancel.

The east window is Venetian, there is a west gallery and the chancel has monuments to the Boucherett family.

Mark Acton, 2014

North Willingham, St Thomas church, Boucherett, Venetian window
North Willingham, St Thomas
North Willingham, St Thomas
North Willingham, St Thomas

A later view of the church from the south-east. Rampant ivy has been removed from the chancel but, in a mere three years, has made rapid progress at the corner of the tower.

July 2017

North Willingham, St Thomas
North Willingham, St Thomas
North Willingham, St Thomas
North Willingham, St Thomas

The topmost part of the tower was rebuilt by C H Fowler in 1895.

July 2017

North Willingham, St Thomas
North Willingham, St Thomas, doorway
North Willingham, St Thomas, doorway
North Willingham, St Thomas, doorway

The entrance to St Thomas's is through the west side of the tower. Both door and window above are fifteenth century, retained during the Victorian restoration.

July 2017

North Willingham, St Thomas, doorway
North Willingham, St Thomas, masonry
North Willingham, St Thomas, masonry
North Willingham, St Thomas, masonry

There is a mixture of Spilsby Sandstone (greenstone) and Tealby Limestone (ironstone) in the walls of the church.

July 2017

North Willingham, St Thomas, masonry
Willingham House
Willingham House
Willingham House

Willingham House in North Willingham was built in 1790 for Ayscough Boucherett perhaps to the design of Robert Mitchell.

It housed German and Italian prisoners during the Second World War.

Declared unsafe, it was blown up by the Royal Engineers in 1967.

Undated postcard, photograph by C Fieldhouse

North Willingham, Willingham House, Ayscough Boucherett, Robert Mitchell, prisoners of war
Willingham House
Willingham House
Willingham House

Built in 1790 near to the river Rase and in view of the Louth to Market Rasen road in North Willingham, this was the home of the Boucherett family.

Its neo-classical style, by Robert Mitchell, with Ionic portico and Coade stone capitals, was unusual for Lincolnshire.

Boucheretts were the occupants until 1905 and then the Wrights until 1962.  It was blown up in 1967.

North Willingham, Boucherett, Robert Mitchell, Coade stone, Wright