St Peter's church
in Norton Disney has much work from the Early English and Decorated periods.
The font & screen are
Perpendicular, the communion rail seventeenth-century.
Worth visiting even
without the tenuous connection to the creator of Mickey Mouse.
Mark Acton, 2016
An interesting church with some unusual features, one of which is the pair of straight-headed windows, one above the other, in the south transept - almost in domestic style.
The church was extensively restored in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
The tower of St Peter's church dates from the Early English period but the bell openings, battlements, gargoyles and pinnacles were added a little later.
The church's parish chest - a small and crude, iron-bound with a complex lock but constructed in soft-wood.
Late-fourteenth century corbel left of the south transept east window.
The font at St Peter's dates from the Perpendicular period. It has lozenge shaped panels with shields.
The north arcade (to the left) has two bays; the piers are circular with cruciform, chamfered abaci and double chamfered arches.
The arch into the south transept (to the right) is four-centred.
The chancel screen dates from the Perpendicular period. On the south (right) side of the chancel arch is a blocked doorway to the rood stair.
The higher tomb effigy is Sir William Disney from the late
thirteenth-century. The lower effigy is of Joan, wife of Sir William Disney.
Norton Disney, St
Peter's. Fourteenth-century tomb effigy of Hautacia, daughter of William
Disney, Lord of Norton.
Memorial to the fourth Viscount St Vincent, mortally wounded at the
battle of Abu Klea in 1885.
First World War
Effigy of knight - one of the Disney (d'Isigny) family - dating from the late thirteenth century.
Royal Arms of
1714-1801 hanging in St Peter's.