Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Old Leake
 
Lade Bank, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Lade Bank, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Lade Bank, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Erected on Boston Road between Rose Cottage and farm buildings, this chapel was in use from 1871 to 1935.

After sale of the building in 1937 it was converted to a store shed for the adjacent farm.

It is located at NGR TF 396 544 in Old Leake parish

Barry Barton, 1980

Old Leake, Lade Bank, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Old Leake, St Mary
Old Leake, St Mary
Old Leake, St Mary

This is one of several great marshland churches but in the Decorated style rather than the usual Perpendicular.

Parts of the original Norman nave survive. There is an early Georgian pulpit, an old alms box and tiled Victorian reredos.


Mark Acton, 2011

Old Leake, church, Georgian pulpit,
Old Leake Commonside, Howsham’s Mill (1)
Old Leake Commonside, Howsham’s Mill (1)
Old Leake Commonside, Howsham’s Mill (1)

This tower mill, which stands near Chapel Road, was built in 1859.

Jon Sass Collection, undated photograph

Old Leake, Howsam's Mill, Commonside, Jon Sass, windmill
Old Leake Commonside, Howsham’s Mill (2)
Old Leake Commonside, Howsham’s Mill (2)
Old Leake Commonside, Howsham’s Mill (2)

The cap and sails on Howsham's Mill were removed in 1950 and the tower was slightly reduced in height.

Location of mill: TF 398 522

Peter Kirk Collection, 2002

Old Leake, Commonside, Howsham's Mill, windmill, Peter Kirk
Old Leake, Commonside, Christ Church
Old Leake, Commonside, Christ Church
Old Leake, Commonside, Christ Church

This 'mission' church was built in 1875.

Barry Barton 1980

Old Leake, Commonside, Christ Church
Old Leake, Commonside, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Old Leake, Commonside, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Old Leake, Commonside, Primitive Methodist Chapel

Primitive Methodists erected a chapel in 1839 and then built a new chapel behind it in 1881.

Closure occurred in 1946 and the buildings were sold the following year. Both former chapels are used as farm store sheds today.

They are located at NGR TF 403 517

Barry Barton, 1978

Old Leake, Commonside Primitive Methodist Chapel
Old Leake, Commonside, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Old Leake, Commonside, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Old Leake, Commonside, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Built in 1815, this is one of the oldest surviving Methodist chapels in the area.

A Sunday schoolroom was added in 1839 and the chapel enlarged in 1871.

It is located at NGR TF 401 520.

Barry Barton, 1980

Old Leake, Commonside, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Old Leake, Fold Hill, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Old Leake, Fold Hill, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Old Leake, Fold Hill, Primitive Methodist Chapel

Primitive Methodists erected a chapel in 1839 and then built a new chapel behind it in 1881.

Closure occurred in 1946 and the buildings were sold the following year. Both former chapels are used as farm store sheds today.

They are located at NGR TF 405 518 in Fold Hill Road, Old Leake.

Barry Barton, 1978

Old Leake, Fold Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel