Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Raithby by Spilsby
 
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity

The medieval church was largely rebuilt by G.G.Scott Junior in 1873. Much of the window tracery and the porch are of this date.

The chancel was enlarged by Temple Moore in 1886 and Hodgson Fowler renewed the greenstone tower in 1895.

September 2015

Raithby By Spilsby, Holy Trinity church, G G Scott, Hodgson Fowler, Temple Moore
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity, churchyard cross
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity, churchyard cross
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity, churchyard cross

The 14th century churchyard cross was restored in 1903.

There are gabled and crocketed carved panels on top, surmounted by a cross.

September 2015

Raithby By Spilsby, Holy Trinity, churchyard cross
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity, interior
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity, interior
Raithby by Spilsby, Holy Trinity, interior

The south arcade, recut by G.G.Scott,  may be 12th century in origin.

Much of the decoration in the chancel, seen here, is the work of Temple Moore in 1886.

September 2015

Raithby By Spilsby, Holy Trinity church, interior, G G Scott, Temple Moore
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel

The entrance to Raithby Chapel. It is on the upper floor above what were the stables for Raithby Hall.

July 2012

Raithby By Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel

View of Raithby Chapel from the south-east and of the drive to Raithby Hall.

The chapel is on the first floor; stabling for horses was kept on the ground floor of the building

July 2012

Raithby By Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel

This is one of the most important chapels in Methodism and the oldest in Lincolnshire.

John Wesley himself opened the chapel above the stables of Raithby Hall in 1779.

It is a Grade I listed building.

July 2012


Raithby By Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, John Wesley, stables
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel

The sign board above the door of Raithby Chapel.

July 2012

Raithby By Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel

The interior of Raithby Chapel showing the pulpit and communion area.

July 2012

Raithby By Spilsby, Methodist Chapel
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Boot Scraper
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Boot Scraper
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Boot Scraper

The boot scraper is excessively worn on the left hand side, probably indicating that those using it tended to steady themselves by holding onto the door to the left!

Jean Howard, September 2020 


Raithby By Spilsby, Chapel, Boot Scraper
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Doorcase
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Doorcase
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Doorcase

This handsome pedimented doorcase leads from the landing into the chapel. That it was once outside the building is evidenced by the sheet of lead intended to protect it from the weather, now painted white along with the rest of the construction.

Jean Howard, September 2020
 

Raithby By Spilsby, Chapel, doorcase
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Interior
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Interior
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Interior

Interior of the chapel looking out from the pulpit. Note the vaulted ceiling and the decorative coving.

Jean Howard, September 2020
 

Raithby By Spilsby, Chapel, interior
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Pews
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Pews
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Pews

The panelled pews with pitched ledge for hymn and service books and latched doors into the aisle.

Notice the wall panelling below the dado rail and the row of ‘chapel hat pegs’ showing that this was the side for the men to sit. (Traditionally men remove their hats in a place of worship.)

Jean Howard, September 2020 

Raithby By Spilsby, Chapel, pews, hat pegs
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Staircase
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Staircase
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Staircase

The right hand flight of stone steps for use by the male members of the congregation.

Jean Howard, September 2020 

Raithby By Spilsby, Chapel, staircase
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Steps
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Steps
Raithby by Spilsby, Methodist Chapel, Steps

The left-hand flight of stone steps, traditionally considered to be for the women to ascend.

Jean Howard, September 2020 



Raithby By Spilsby, Chapel, stone steps