Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Revesby
 
Revesby Bridge, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Revesby Bridge, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Revesby Bridge, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

It is located at NGR TF 307 602 in Revesby parish.

Barry Barton, 1977


Revesby, Revesby Bridge, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Revesby Moorhouses, St Lawrence Church
Revesby Moorhouses, St Lawrence Church
Revesby Moorhouses, St Lawrence Church

This small church was built by James Fowler of Louth in 1875. It is in a style typical of its period and of the architect.

It is located at NGR TF 283 574 in Revesby parish.

Barry Barton, 1979
Revesby, Moorhouses St Lawrence church
Revesby, Joseph Banks' Almshouses
Revesby, Joseph Banks' Almshouses
Revesby, Joseph Banks' Almshouses

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"Almshouses for ten decayed agriculturists were founded by Joseph Banks esq. M.P. of Revesby, in 1727, and endowed by him with £50 yearly"

"almshouses rebuilt by the late J. Banks Stanhope esq"

Rebuilt in 1862. 

DB 16 February 2019

Revesby, Joseph Banks' Almshouses, Stanhope
Revesby, Joseph Banks' Almshouses
Revesby, Joseph Banks' Almshouses
Revesby, Joseph Banks' Almshouses

"In the front gables are blank trilobes alternating with ashlar panels, inscribed with Banks insignia and date 1862.

Over the central pair a larger tablet records the foundation of the original almshouses in 1728 by Joseph Banks,Esq., MP for Revesby"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215308 

Rebuilt by J. Banks Stanhope in 1862.

DB 16 February 2019

Revesby, Joseph Banks' Almshouses, J. Banks Stanhope
Revesby, Joseph Banks' Almshouses
Revesby, Joseph Banks' Almshouses
Revesby, Joseph Banks' Almshouses

"a larger tablet records the foundation of the original almshouses in 1728 by Joseph Banks,Esq., MP for Revesby.

The almshouses rebuilt by J. Banks Stanhope"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215308 

DB 16 February 2019

Revesby, Joseph Banks' Almshouses, J. Banks Stanhope
Revesby, Red Lion, Public House
Revesby, Red Lion, Public House
Revesby, Red Lion, Public House

Listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919

"Shaw Fredk. Red Lion P.H. farmer"

and in 1885

"Cole Robert, Red Lion P.H" 

Also listed in White's Directory of 1856

"Stennett Wm. vict. Red Lion"

DB 16 February 2019

Revesby, Red Lion, Public House
Revesby, Red Lion, Public House
Revesby, Red Lion, Public House
Revesby, Red Lion, Public House

A second view of the Red Lion.

DB 16 February 2019

Revesby, Red Lion, Public House
Revesby, Revesby Abbey
Revesby, Revesby Abbey
Revesby, Revesby Abbey

Aerial view of the abbey from the south. The stable block is immediately behind the house.

Pearl Wheatley, April 2017

Revesby, Abbey,
Revesby, Revesby Abbey
Revesby, Revesby Abbey
Revesby, Revesby Abbey

The first country house named after the twelfth-century abbey was built in the early eighteenth century.

The present house was built in 1844 by William Burn for J Banks Stanhope.

View from the south.

November 2014



Revesby, Abbey, William Burn, J Banks Stanhope
Revesby, Revesby Abbey
Revesby, Revesby Abbey
Revesby, Revesby Abbey
Undated postcard of Revesby Abbey published by W K Morton of Horncastle
Revesby, W K Morton
Revesby, Sandy Bank, Methodist Chapel
Revesby, Sandy Bank, Methodist Chapel
Revesby, Sandy Bank, Methodist Chapel

A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was erected here in 1852 and replaced on the same site in 1953.

It remained open as a place of worship into the 21st century.

It is located at NGR TF 261 550 in corner of Revesby parish next to Wildmore.

Barry Barton, 1978

Revesby, Sandy Bank Methodist Chapel, Wesleyan
Revesby, Sandy Bank, Methodist Chapel
Revesby, Sandy Bank, Methodist Chapel
Revesby, Sandy Bank, Methodist Chapel

The former chapel has been adapted for residential use but all the external features have been retained.

May 2018

Coningsby, Sandy Bank methodist Chapel
Revesby, St Lawrence
Revesby, St Lawrence
Revesby, St Lawrence

Large, costly and gloomy. St Lawrences, Revesby, was built in the Decorated style in 1891 at the expense of the MP for Horncastle Edward Stanhope and James Banks Stanhope.

The church contains fragments from the Cistercian Abbey at Revesby. There is a monument of 1727 to Joseph Banks.

Mark Acton, 2013

See more images of this church

Revesby, St Lawrence church, Edward Stanhope, James Banks Stanhope, Joseph Banks, Cistersian abbey
Revesby, St Lawrence
Revesby, St Lawrence
Revesby, St Lawrence

The architect for St Lawrence was Charles Hodgson Fowler.

June 2013

Revesby, St Lawrence
Revesby, St Lawrence
Revesby, St Lawrence
Revesby, St Lawrence

A similar view of the church.

Rod Callow, 2008

Revesby, St Lawrence
Revesby, St Lawrence
Revesby, St Lawrence
Revesby, St Lawrence

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of SS. Mary and Lawrence was erected in 1891, on the site of the former church, at a cost of £8,000, by the late J. Banks Stanhope esq. and is a fine building of Stone, in the Flamboyant style, from designs by Mr. Hodgson C. Fowler, architect, of Durham, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle with organ chamber and vestry, south porch and a western tower with four pinnacles and spire containing 8 tubular bells"

DB 16 February 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, church, Banks Stanhope, C. Hodgson Fowler
Revesby, St Lawrence, Chancel
Revesby, St Lawrence, Chancel
Revesby, St Lawrence, Chancel

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"the chancel floor is laid with tiles, mainly copied from patterns from the old Abbey, and the sanctuary is adorned with inlaid panelling :

the enclosing rails were presented as a memorial to the Rev. Thomas Barker M.A. rector here 1867-95 ...

the stained east window is a memorial to the Right Hon. Edward Stanhope P.C., M.P. Secretary of State for War (1887-92), d. Dec. 21st, 1893 ...

the choir stalls and seats are of oak" 

DB 19 April 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, Church, Chancel
Revesby, St Lawrence, Chancel, East Window
Revesby, St Lawrence, Chancel, East Window
Revesby, St Lawrence, Chancel, East Window

"The east window is large and of 5 tall lights, with elaborate flowing tracery at head, with mouchettes"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215306  

Glass by Heaton, Butler & Bayne.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaton,_Butler_and_Bayne 

DB 19 April 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, Church, Chancel, East Window, Heaton, Butler & Bayne
Revesby, St Lawrence, Chancel, East Window
Revesby, St Lawrence, Chancel, East Window
Revesby, St Lawrence, Chancel, East Window

East window to the memory of the Right Honourable Edward Stanhope, who together with James Banks Stanhope, built this church to the Glory of God in 1891.

DB 19 April 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, Church
Revesby, St Lawrence, Chancel, Sanctuary
Revesby, St Lawrence, Chancel, Sanctuary
Revesby, St Lawrence, Chancel, Sanctuary

"Sanctuary has a fine tiled floor and carved wooden panelling with tile and morther of pearl inlays.

The reredos is also inlaid and has kneeling figures of gilded angels.

Fittings are all late C19"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215306 

DB 19 April 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, Church, chancel, sanctuary
Revesby, St Lawrence, Chancel, Sanctuary
Revesby, St Lawrence, Chancel, Sanctuary
Revesby, St Lawrence, Chancel, Sanctuary

"Sanctuary has a fine tiled floor"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215306 

DB 19 April 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, Church, tile
Revesby, St Lawrence, Churchyard
Revesby, St Lawrence, Churchyard
Revesby, St Lawrence, Churchyard

Stunning carpet of Snowdrops in the woodland beyond the churchyard.

DB 16 February 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, churchyard, snowdrop
Revesby, St Lawrence, Churchyard, Banks Monument
Revesby, St Lawrence, Churchyard, Banks Monument
Revesby, St Lawrence, Churchyard, Banks Monument

An explanatory text, inside the church, relating to the Banks Monument states :- 

"Outside the church near the porch, stands the cumbersome marble obelisk which was also a part of the Banks monument inside the church.

It was apparently conveniently disposed of in 1890 by burying it in the adjoining farmyard.

It was only recovered in the 1970's when the foundations were being dug for a new building"

DB 16 February 2019

Revesby, Saintt Lawrence, churchyard, obelisk, banks
Revesby, St Lawrence, Churchyard, Lych Gate
Revesby, St Lawrence, Churchyard, Lych Gate
Revesby, St Lawrence, Churchyard, Lych Gate

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The lych gate, of carved oak on a stone base, designed by Mr. Hodgson Fowler, was erected by the tenantry on the Revesby estate, in memory of the Right Hon. E. Stanhope" 

DB 16 February 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, churchyard, lych gate, Stanhope
Revesby, St Lawrence, Nave
Revesby, St Lawrence, Nave
Revesby, St Lawrence, Nave

Looking east towards the chancel.

DB 19 April 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, Church, nave
Revesby, St Lawrence, Nave
Revesby, St Lawrence, Nave
Revesby, St Lawrence, Nave

Looking west towards the tower arch and font.

DB 19 April 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, Church
Revesby, St Lawrence, Nave, Window
Revesby, St Lawrence, Nave, Window
Revesby, St Lawrence, Nave, Window

This window in the nave of the church depicts Saints James, Peter and John.

The gothic text at the bottom reads:
'This window was presented by the tenants / of Revesby estate as a token of esteem for / Jas Banks Stanhope Esquire of Revesby Abbey.

June 2013

Revesby, St Lawrence, window, Stanhope
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle

Looking west towards the Banks Memorial.

DB 19 April 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, Church
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle

Looking east towards the organ chamber.

DB 19 April 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, Church
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle, Banks Memorial
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle, Banks Memorial
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle, Banks Memorial

Memorial to Sir Joseph Banks in St Lawrence's church.

Banks owned an estate in mid-Lincolnshire of which Revesby Abbey was the principal house.

Rod Callow, 2008

Revesby, St Lawrence, Joseph Banks, Revesby Abbey
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle, Banks Memorial
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle, Banks Memorial
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle, Banks Memorial

"In north aisle a reset monument to Joseph Banks, d.1727, in the form of a marble sarcophagus with swept base, surmounted by a Carrera bust of the deceased, by Nost"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215306 

DB 19 April 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, Church, Joseph Banks monument, Nost
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle, Banks Memorial
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle, Banks Memorial
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle, Banks Memorial

Closer view of the Carrera bust of Sir Joseph Banks by John Nost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Nost 

"Banks made his name on the 1766 natural history expedition to Newfoundland and Labrador.

He took part in Captain James Cook's first great voyage (17681771), visiting Brazil, Tahiti, and, after 6 months in New Zealand, Australia, returning to immediate fame.

He held the position of President of the Royal Society for over 41 years.

He advised King George III on the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, and by sending botanists around the world to collect plants, he made Kew the world's leading botanical gardens.

He is credited for bringing 30,000 plant specimens home with him; amongst them he discovered 1,400"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Banks  

DB 19 April 2019 

Revesby, Sir Joseph Banks, John Nost
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle, War Memorial
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle, War Memorial
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle, War Memorial

Second World War Memorial.

DB 19 April 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, Church, war memorial
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle, War Memorial
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle, War Memorial
Revesby, St Lawrence, North Aisle, War Memorial

First World War Memorial.

DB 19 April 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, Church, war memorial
Revesby, St Lawrence, Organ
Revesby, St Lawrence, Organ
Revesby, St Lawrence, Organ

The organ chamber is located at the east end of the north aisle.

An explanatory text states :-

"The organ is one of the finest toned of its size, being a two manual and pedal instrument of 11 speaking stops and 3 couplers by Foster and Andrews of Hull.

It was built and voiced for this church in 1893" 

DB 19 April 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, Church
Revesby, St Lawrence, Tower, C13 Mouldings
Revesby, St Lawrence, Tower, C13 Mouldings
Revesby, St Lawrence, Tower, C13 Mouldings

"In the south wall of the tower a niche formed of reset early C13 mouldings contains a collection of moulded stone fragments from Revesby Abbey"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215306 

DB 19 April 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, Church
Revesby, St Lawrence, Tower, Font
Revesby, St Lawrence, Tower, Font
Revesby, St Lawrence, Tower, Font

"The disappointing font comprises a section of reused medieval moulded shaft with a cushion capital top"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215306 

On the other hand an explanatory text in the church states :-

"The Norman font was probably a pillar piscina from the monastery"

Located at the west end beneath the tower. 

DB 19 April 2019

Revesby, Saint Lawrence, Church, font
Revesby, Village Green
Revesby, Village Green
Revesby, Village Green

View across the village green with Joseph Banks' Almshouses on the left and St Laurence's Church on the right.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The cottages, schools and almshouses stand in a semicircle on the south side of a large, well kept green, having the church and parsonage on the north side :

the cottages were erected and the almshouses rebuilt by the late J. Banks Stanhope esq"

DB 16 February 2019

Revesby, Village Green