Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Riseholme
 
Riseholme Hall
Riseholme Hall
Riseholme Hall

Riseholme Hall, here viewed from the north, was built by the Chaplin family in 1744.

Purchased by the Church Commissioners in 1840, the Hall was restyled by the architect William Rainton and until the late nineteenth century was the Palace of the Bishop of Lincoln.

After World War 2, the Hall and estate became an agricultural college, now a Campus of the University of Lincoln.

In July 2012, the Further Education provision at Riseholme College transferred to Bishop Burton College.

See: www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/riseholmecollege/ourcampus/history

Riseholme, Hall, Bishop's Palace, William Rainton, agricultural college
Riseholme Hall
Riseholme Hall
Riseholme Hall

View of the Hall with its fine Tuscan colonnade on the south elevation.

T R Leach Collection, 1975

Riseholme, Hall
Riseholme Hall
Riseholme Hall
Riseholme Hall

A late-eighteenth-century house enlarged between 1840 and 1845 William Railton for Bishops of Lincoln.

After 1888 it became a private house until becoming part of Riseholme Agricultural College. It was later occupied by the University of Lincoln.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Riseholme, Hall, William Railton
Riseholme Hall, Stable Block
Riseholme Hall, Stable Block
Riseholme Hall, Stable Block

Of eighteenth-century origin, the stable block was altered by William Railton in 1840.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Riseholme, Hall Stables, William Railton
Riseholme Hall, stairwell
Riseholme Hall, stairwell
Riseholme Hall, stairwell

The stairwell was renovated in 2011.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Riseholme, Hall staircase, stairwell
Riseholme, College Conference Hall
Riseholme, College Conference Hall
Riseholme, College Conference Hall

This distinctive octagonal hall was built when Lindsey College of Agriculture was established on the site of the former Bishop’s Palace site in Riseholme in 1966.

May 2012



Riseholme, conference centre, Lindsey College of Agriculture
Riseholme, Risholme Grange
Riseholme, Risholme Grange
Riseholme, Risholme Grange

This early nineteenth-century house has been converted into offices. The porch has double Doric pilasters supporting a plain entablature.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Riseholme, Grange
Riseholme, St Mary
Riseholme, St Mary
Riseholme, St Mary

St Mary’s was built in 1850 by S.S.Teulon for the then Bishop of Lincoln, Dr John Kaye.

The buttressed nave and chancel both have attractive Decorated style windows.

Inside are fine timber roofs, original fittings and Victorian stained glass.

November 2013

Riseholme, St Mary church, S S Teulon, Bishop Kaye
Riseholme, St Mary
Riseholme, St Mary
Riseholme, St Mary

The chancel of St Mary's, built by Teulon in 1850, has an east window in the Decorated style.

November 2013

Riseholme, St Mary church
Riseholme, St Mary
Riseholme, St Mary
Riseholme, St Mary

The west window and bell cote of St Mary's.

November 2013

Riseholme, St Mary church
Riseholme, St Mary, Gravestone
Riseholme, St Mary, Gravestone
Riseholme, St Mary, Gravestone

The grave of Bishop John Kaye (Bishop of Lincoln) in Riseholme churchyard is attributed to S.S.Teulon.

It is in the shape of a church. The brass railings round it are suffering from neglect.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Riseholme, St Mary church, Bishop Kaye, Teulon,