Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Sedgebrook
 
Sedgebrook, Manor House
Sedgebrook, Manor House
Sedgebrook, Manor House

"Manor house.

c1632, remodelled, probably by Sir John Thorold, c1716, with C18 rear additions.

Refenestrated early C19"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1298359 

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook Manor House, Sir John Thorold
Sedgebrook, Schools
Sedgebrook, Schools
Sedgebrook, Schools

Grammar School and Public Elementary School.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"Sedgebrook Grammar School, erected in 1882, with master's house, by the Thorold charity trustees, at a cost of £1,500; the school is the district centre for County Council scholars from Kesteven & Leicestershire (Junior & intermediate) ; this school is now a Secondary school taking the special advanced course of the Board of Education, and is controlled by 12 governors; Sir J. H. Thorold bart. chairman; in 1908 there were 75 boys: Frank Upton M.A. headmaster; G. W. Preston B. A., T. J. Stokes, Rev. Thomas Cranmer Ewbank M.A. (manual instructor), J. A. Pocock (art) & H. Stevenson F.I.C. assistant masters

Public Elementary School, erected in 1875, by the trustees of Lady Thorold's charity (see Marston), at a cost of about £500, for 70 children; Mrs. A. Coupland, mistress"

Old Grammar School is the further building. 

DB 6 February 2019

Sedgebrook, School, Thorold
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence

A mixture of ironstone and Ancaster stone. St Lawrence’s, Sedgebrook is a fine example of the Perpendicular style.

The plain glass east window makes for a bright interior.

There is much good woodwork to admire.

On our visit two volunteers were cleaning up after the depredations of bats.

Mark Acton, 2014

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence church, Ancaster stone, bats
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence

The east end of the chancel, in contrast to the other walls of the church, is built entirely of Ancaster stone.

The five-light east window is typical of the Perpendicular period (fifteenth century).

Peter Kirk Collection, 1990

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence church
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"The church of St. Lawrence is an ancient building of stone, in the Norman, Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, with chantry chapel, nave of three bays, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower, containing a clock and 3 bells:

the earliest portion of the fabric comprises the arcade of the north aisle, the rest of the building being Perpendicular:

in the angles of the chancel are large canopied niches, and in the south wall a canopied sedile, piscina and credence within a single niche ; in the north wall is a smaller niche:

the pulpit, of carved oak, has the date 1634, and the prayer desk is constructed from portions of the old pulpit; the font is coeval with the north arcade and has an octagonal basin:

the chapel on the south side of the chancel is supposed to have been built by Sir John Markham Kt. Chief Justice of the King's Bench, 1462-9, and opens into the chancel by two arches, the easternmost of which is now enclosed by an iron screen:

there was formerly an altar tomb to the judge on the south side of the chapel, but of this only the upper slab, now in the pavement of the building and deprived of its brasses, is left; he died in 1479:

in the east wall is a small incised slab, with effigy and inscription to Alice (Skipwith), wife of Sir John Markham, ob. 1494, and Dorothy, his daughter:

in the angles of the chapel are canopied niches similar to those of the chancel, a piscina with credence, and at the west end a stoup, with a shield below it:

the church was thoroughly restored in 1897, at a cost of £600, and affords 250 sittings"

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"The living is a rectory, net yearly value £276, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1896 by the Rev. Thomas Cranmer Ewbank M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge.

A field called "The Abbey Field" to the east of the church, but now included in the parish of Barrowby, seems to indicate the connection of this place with a monastic house"

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel

"Chancel and south chapel paid for by Sir John Markham, 1468.

Restored 1897"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1236949 

"The east window is flanked by mutilated canopied niches in the angles" 

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, chancel, Sir John Markham
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel

View looking west towards the restored perpendicular wooden chancel screen.

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Church, Chancel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel

"The south side has an elaborate cusped piscina and aumbry, and a buttressed and vaulted sedilia with pendant gables"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1236949 

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Church, Chancel, piscina, aumbry, sedilia
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel

C19 encaustic tiles in the sanctuary.

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, encaustic tiles
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel, Poppyhead
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel, Poppyhead
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel, Poppyhead

"several benches and stalls, C14 and C15, with unusual poppyheads"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1236949 

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Church, poppyhead, bench end, stall
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel, Poppyhead
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel, Poppyhead
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel, Poppyhead

"several benches and stalls, C14 and C15, with unusual poppyheads"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1236949 

DB 6 February 2019

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Church, poppyhead, bench end, stall
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel, Poppyhead
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel, Poppyhead
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Chancel, Poppyhead

"several benches and stalls, C14 and C15, with unusual poppyheads"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1236949 

DB 6 February 2019


Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Church, poppyhead, bench end, stall
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Churchyard Entrance
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Churchyard Entrance
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Churchyard Entrance

Southern entrance to the churchyard.

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, churchyard
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Nave
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Nave
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Nave

Looking east towards the chancel.

"Nave has early C13 north arcade, 3 bays, with double chamfered round arches, linked hood mould and round piers.

C15 south arcade has moulded pointed arches with hood moulds, and octagonal piers"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1236949 

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, nave
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Nave
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Nave
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Nave

Looking west towards the tower arch.

"At the west end, tall moulded tower arch with round responds and C20 screen"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1236949 

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, nave
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Nave, Pulpit
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Nave, Pulpit
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Nave, Pulpit

"restored traceried panelled oak pulpit dated 1634, on C19 stone base"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1236949 

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, pulpit
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Nave, War Memorial
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Nave, War Memorial
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Nave, War Memorial

Situated at the west end of the nave.

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, war memorial
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Nave, War Memorial
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Nave, War Memorial
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Nave, War Memorial

Roll of Honour in memory of those who gave their lives and those who also served.

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, war memorial
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, North Aisle
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, North Aisle
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, North Aisle

Looking east towards the north chapel which is now the organ chamber.

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, north aisle
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, North Aisle
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, North Aisle
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, North Aisle

Looking west.

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, north aisle
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, North Aisle, Benefactions Tablet
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, North Aisle, Benefactions Tablet
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, North Aisle, Benefactions Tablet

"Marble benefactions tablet, 1717"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1236949 

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, north aisle, Benefactions Tablet
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, North Porch
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, North Porch
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, North Porch

Porch of the fifteeenth century with stoup to the right of the doorway.

Jews' Court collection, 1977

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, stoup
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, North Porch
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, North Porch
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, North Porch

A second view of the North Porch.

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, porch
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Organ
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Organ
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Organ

Organ by Henry Bryceson which was delivered via Sedgebrook Station in 1863.

Organ restored in 1989. 

The north chapel is now the organ chamber. 

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, organ
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Organ
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Organ
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Organ

"Henry Bryceson (1775–1870) was a pioneer of electric action in England during the 1860s"

"Henry Bryceson founded a firm variously known as Bryceson Brothers, Bryceson and Bryceson, and Bryceson and Son in 1796.

The firm produced both barrel organs and pipe organs"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Bryceson 

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, organ, Henry Bryceson
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Aisle
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Aisle
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Aisle

View from the south aisle, across the nave and into the north aisle.

Rood lofts above the north and south chapels. 

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Church
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Aisle
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Aisle
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Aisle

Looking east towards the south chapel.

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Church, south aisle
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Aisle
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Aisle
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Aisle

Looking west towards the font.

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Church, South Aisle
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Aisle, Font
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Aisle, Font
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Aisle, Font

"octagonal C11 scalloped font"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1236949 

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, font
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel

The grave slab in the south chapel is to Dorothy Markham (died 1494).

Mark Acton, 2014

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Dorothy Markham
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel

Former chantry chapel of Sir John Markham the "upright judge".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Markham 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"the chapel on the south side of the chancel is supposed to have been built by Sir John Markham Kt. Chief Justice of the King's Bench, 1462-9, and opens into the chancel by two arches, the easternmost of which is now enclosed by an iron screen:

there was formerly an altar tomb to the judge on the south side of the chapel, but of this only the upper slab, now in the pavement of the building and deprived of its brasses, is left; he died in 1479:

in the east wall is a small incised slab, with effigy and inscription to Alice (Skipwith), wife of Sir John Markham, ob. 1494, and Dorothy, his daughter"

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, Sir John Markham
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel

"aumbry and enriched piscina"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1236949 

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, aumbry, piscina
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel

A second piscina.

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Church, piscina
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel

Looking north from the South Chapel and into the Chancel.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"the chapel on the south side of the chancel is supposed to have been built by Sir John Markham Kt. Chief Justice of the King's Bench, 1462-9, and opens into the chancel by two arches, the easternmost of which is now enclosed by an iron screen"

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Church, South chapel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel, Bracket
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel, Bracket
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Chapel, Bracket

"The east bay has brackets to east and west, on ornate angel corbels"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1236949 

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Church, Bracket, angel corbel
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Porch
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Porch
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, South Porch

"Parapeted south porch has moulded doorway with single shafts and hood mould, flanked by diagonal buttresses"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1236949 

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, porch
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Tower
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Tower
Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, Tower

"Square west tower, 3 stages, has clasping buttresses to the lower stages and angle buttresses above, chamfered string courses, crenellated parapet and gargoyles"

"South side has a clock, 1919, on the middle stage.

Bell stage has on each side two 2-light cusped bell openings under an ogee gable with crest"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1236949

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"an embattled western tower, containing a clock and 3 bells"

Clock cost £76 which was raised by public subscription in memory of those who served and died in the First World War.

DB 6 February 2019 

Sedgebrook, St Lawrence, church, tower
Sedgebrook, Village Green
Sedgebrook, Village Green
Sedgebrook, Village Green

Village Green with K6 type telephone kiosk and EIIR pillar post box.

The K6 was the first red telephone kiosk to be extensively used outside London, and many thousands were deployed in virtually every town and city, replacing most of the existing kiosks and establishing thousands of new sites.

In 1935 there had been 19,000 public telephones in the UK: by 1940, thanks to the K6, there were 35,000"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_telephone_box 

DB 6 February 2019  

  

Sedgebrook, Village Green, K6, pillar post box, telephone kiosk