Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Sibsey
 
Lucan, Arthur
Lucan, Arthur
Lucan, Arthur

A plaque marking the birthplace in Sibsey of Arthur Lucan (1885-1954), born Arthur Towle, star of stage, screen & radio.

Mark Acton, 2017

Sibsey, Arthur Lucan, Arthur Towle, Old Mother Riley
Lucan, Arthur - birthplace
Lucan, Arthur - birthplace
Lucan, Arthur - birthplace

The birthplace of Arthur Lucan, born Arthur Towle, famous for his role as Old Mother Riley on stage, screen and radio.

Born the son of a groom on 16 September 1885. Married his co-star Kitty McShane in 1913.

He died at the Tivoli Theatre, Hull on 17 May 1954 and is buried in the Eastern Cemetery, Hull.

Mark Acton, 2017

Sibsey, Arthur Lucan
Sibsey Northlands, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Sibsey Northlands, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Sibsey Northlands, Primitive Methodist Chapel

The first service here was held in May 1837 and it closed as a place of worship in 2006.

It was on sale with planning permission for conversion into a house in 2013.

It is located at NGR TF 347534

Barry Barton, 1977


Sibsey, Northlands, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Sibsey, Rhoades' Mill (1)
Sibsey, Rhoades' Mill (1)
Sibsey, Rhoades' Mill (1)

This early nineteenth-century mill stands in the north end of the village close to the A16.

As with many other mills, the tower was heightened later in the century, in the instance by one storey.

Jon Sass Collection, photograph by Rex Wailes c.1928

Sibsey, Rhoades' Mill, windmill, Jon Sass
Sibsey, Rhoades' Mill (2)
Sibsey, Rhoades' Mill (2)
Sibsey, Rhoades' Mill (2)

Sails and fan were removed from the Rhoades' Mill in 1924 and it ceased to work thereafter.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1999

Sibsey, Rhoades' Mill, windmill, Peter Kirk
Sibsey, St Margaret
Sibsey, St Margaret
Sibsey, St Margaret

A typically fine Marsh church. The tower is Early English with a Perpendicular battlemented top. The Norman nave arcades were elongated when the clerestory was added.

Charles Kirk rebuilt the chancel in Early English style in 1855.

Mark Acton, 2017

Sibsey, St Margaret, Charles Kirk
Sibsey, St Margaret, interior
Sibsey, St Margaret, interior
Sibsey, St Margaret, interior

The nave north arcade with the pillars elongated when the clerestory was added.

Mark Acton, 2017

Sibsey, St Margaret, north arcade
Sibsey, Trader Mill (1)
Sibsey, Trader Mill (1)
Sibsey, Trader Mill (1)

This mill, in the care of English Heritage, was one of the last mills to be built in the county (1877, by Saunderson of Louth).

Jon Sass Collection, photograph by D W Muggeridge, 1935

Sibsey, Trader Mill, windmill, Jon Sass, Saunderson
Sibsey, Trader Mill (2)
Sibsey, Trader Mill (2)
Sibsey, Trader Mill (2)

Sibsey Trader Windmill was built in 1877 by Saundersons of Louth and stands 74' 3" from base to the top of the cap. It is one of the few 6 sail mills left in England.

It was earmarked by the Ministry of Works in the 1960s as one of 12 windmills of national importance and was renovated in the 1970s.

It is open to visitors at weekends throughout the year and on Tuesdays from May to September.

Mark Acton, 2017


Sibsey, Trader Mill
Sibsey, Trader Mill (3)
Sibsey, Trader Mill (3)
Sibsey, Trader Mill (3)

The mill was effectively abandoned in the 1950s and was restored by Thompsons of Alford in 1981.

Location of mill: TF 345 510

Peter Kirk Collection, 2001

Sibsey, Trader Mill, windmill, Peter Kirk, Thompson
Sibsey, Trader Mill (4)
Sibsey, Trader Mill (4)
Sibsey, Trader Mill (4)

Sails from the Trader Mill at a time of repair by English Heritage.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1999 

Sibsey, Trader Mill, sails, Peter Kirk
Sibsey, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (first)
Sibsey, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (first)
Sibsey, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (first)

This chapel situated on the corner of Chapel lane and Frithville Road opened in 1821.

It was retained as a Sunday School and then sold in 1967.

The building has been demolished and replaced by a row of terraced cottages named ‘Wesley Terrace’

It is located at NGR TF 352509.

Barry Barton, 1977
Sibsey, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Sibsey, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (second)
Sibsey, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (second)
Sibsey, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (second)

The second Wesleyan Methodist chapel opened on Main Road in June 1875.

The last service was held here in 1994 and the building was demolished two years later leaving an empty site.

It is located at NGR TF 352 510

Barry Barton, 1978

Sibsey, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel