Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
South Willingham
 
South Willingham, cottage
South Willingham, cottage
South Willingham, cottage

South Willingham is a village lying 8 miles south east of Market Rasen. It had a railway station on the Louth to Bardney line.

The cottage in the centre is made of mud and stud, a common method of construction in the east of the county

undated postcard

South Willingham,
South Willingham, Belmont Transmitting Station
South Willingham, Belmont Transmitting Station
South Willingham, Belmont Transmitting Station

"The Belmont transmitting station is a broadcasting and telecommunications facility next to the B1225, one mile west of the village of Donington on Bain in the civil parish of South Willingham"

"It has a guyed tubular steel mast, with a lattice upper section.

The mast was shortened in April 2010 and is now 1,154 feet (351.7 m) in height.

Before this it was 1,272 feet (387.7 m) high and was considered to be the tallest structure of its kind in the world"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belmont_transmitting_station

DB 9 September 2018

South Willingham, Belmont transmitting station
South Willingham, Methodist Chapel
South Willingham, Methodist Chapel
South Willingham, Methodist Chapel

The old chapel in South Willingham was built in 1834 and enlarged in 1877. The adjacent school room was added in 1903.

The chapel closed for worship in 1972.

August 2019

South Willingham, Methodist Chapel
South Willingham, Methodist Chapel
South Willingham, Methodist Chapel
South Willingham, Methodist Chapel

View from the south-west. The building is unusual in having a hipped roof at one end and a gable at the other. The bricks used also vary.

August 2019

South Willingham, Methodist Chapel
South Willingham, Methodist Chapel
South Willingham, Methodist Chapel
South Willingham, Methodist Chapel

Plaque on the street front confirming the date of construction. The obliterated part of the plaque originally read 'Wesleyan'.

August 2019

South Willingham, Methodist Chapel
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin

The font is square, with chamfered angles, on nine shafts with fillets. On the bowl are two quatrefoils on each side.

July 2011

South Willingham, St Martin, font
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin

View from the south-east.

July 2012

South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin

The nave of St Martin's, rebuilt in 1838, has 14th century style windows, while the chancel with its plate-tracery is in part 13th century.

The interior contains a restored 15th century screen and a 19th century reredos.

July 2011

South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin

The tower of St Martinís dates from the 14th century.

The nave, rebuilt in 1838, has 14th century style windows, while the chancel with its plate-tracery is in part 13th century.

July 2011

South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin

The view of St Martin's from the south-west shows clearly the relatively regular blocks of greenstone (Spilsby Sandstone) used in its construction.

July 2012

South Willingham, St Martin
South Willingham, St Martin. Memorial
South Willingham, St Martin. Memorial
South Willingham, St Martin. Memorial

Memorial plaque, marble and slate, to Revd George Henry Curtois.

July 2012

South Willingham, St Martin, George Henry Curtois
South Willingham, Station Rd, Railway Gate
South Willingham, Station Rd, Railway Gate
South Willingham, Station Rd, Railway Gate

This dilapidated gate led onto the access lane up to Hainton and Willingham Station.
 
This was a junction on the Louth to Bardney railway line, originally built by the Louth & Lincoln Railway Company. Construction began at Louth in July 1872, but it took almost 4 years to complete the route.
 
The line closed to passengers in 1951 and to freight in 1958. The station building still exists but is now a private house.

Jean Howard, 18 January 2021

South Willingham, Station, Railway Gate
South Willingham, Station Rd, Railway Pedestrian Gate
South Willingham, Station Rd, Railway Pedestrian Gate
South Willingham, Station Rd, Railway Pedestrian Gate

This small gate alongside the main vehicular one was for access on foot. A tree having grown through, it is now impossible to move it!

Jean Howard, 18 January 2021

South Willingham, Station, Railway, gate
South Willingham, Station Rd, Weighbridge Office
South Willingham, Station Rd, Weighbridge Office
South Willingham, Station Rd, Weighbridge Office

Halfway along the concourse was a weighbridge for which this small building was the office
 
See map at
http://disused-stations.org.uk/s/south_willingham_and_hainton/index.shtml 

Jean Howard, 18 January 2021

South Willingham Station Railway weighbridge
South Willingham, street scene
South Willingham, street scene
South Willingham, street scene

This undated postcard shows the view on Station Road looking north-west in the direction of Hainton.

The village church is immediately to the left of the camera, out of shot.

Blacksmith's Lane, out of sight beyond the prominent tree, leads left to right across the photo to the smithy.

The village school is the low  building to the right.

South Willingham, street scene
South Willingham, Windmill
South Willingham, Windmill
South Willingham, Windmill

This was South Willingham mill, built for Edward Heneage c1870 and fitted out by Saundersons of Louth as a 6-sailer, converted to 4 sails in 1890s and finally demolished in1958.

It stood about halfway between S.Willingham and East Barkwith. The extended mill house survives.

(Information from Jon Sass, Lincolnshire Mills Group)

Karl Wood painting

South Willingham, windmill, Edward Heneage, Saunderson