Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Sutton Bridge
 
Sutton Bridge, Bridge Road
Sutton Bridge, Bridge Road
Sutton Bridge, Bridge Road

Sutton Bridge lies 7 miles north of Wisbech close to the border with Norfolk. It has the only flintstone church in Lincolnshire.

King John is rumoured to have lost his treasure close by.

The naturalist Sir Peter Scott lived for a time in the East Lighthouse.

undated postcard

Sutton Bridge, Bridge Road
Sutton Bridge, Cross Keys Bridge
Sutton Bridge, Cross Keys Bridge
Sutton Bridge, Cross Keys Bridge

The third Cross Keys Bridge over the river Nene at Sutton Bridge.

This Swing Bridge was built by the Great Northern Railway in 1894-1897 at a cost of £80,000 and was initially worked by hydraulic power.

It carried both rail and road traffic until the railway closed in 1959.

The bridge still opens for river traffic heading to and from Wisbech.

Postcard, 1920

Sutton Bridge, Cross Keys Bridge, River Nene, swing bridge,
Sutton Bridge, Cross Keys Bridge
Sutton Bridge, Cross Keys Bridge
Sutton Bridge, Cross Keys Bridge

Construction on this swing bridge began in 1894 and it opened for traffic on 25 July 1897. The engineer was J. Allen McDonald, engineer to the Midland Railway.

It was made and erected by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd of Derby & London, with hydraulic power by Sir W. C. Armstrong, Whitworth & Co. Ltd of Newcastle on Tyne.

Postcard posted 1915

Sutton Bridge, Cross Keys swing bridge
Sutton Bridge, Port
Sutton Bridge, Port
Sutton Bridge, Port

The modern port of Sutton Bridge, opened in 1987, is situated on the west bank of the river Nene, close to the entrance to the former dock (indicated by the V-shape in the line of the river bank at the top of the photograph).

This is now a busy sea terminal importing goods from Europe and despatching them by lorry along the adjacent A17.

Sutton Bridge, port, river Nene,
Sutton Bridge, East Bank Lighthouse
Sutton Bridge, East Bank Lighthouse
Sutton Bridge, East Bank Lighthouse

Peter Scott, the naturalist and artist, lived in this lighthouse from 1933 until the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939. He chose this remote location through his interest in birds but during this period he also developed his skills to become a very accomplished wildlife artist.

The lighthouse remained in the ownership of the Scott family until the 1960s.

Rod Callow, 2007

Sutton Bridge, lighthouse, Peter Scott
Sutton Bridge, East Bank Lighthouse
Sutton Bridge, East Bank Lighthouse
Sutton Bridge, East Bank Lighthouse

The pair of lighthouses either side of the river Nene close to its outfall in the Wash were built in 1830. This is the one on the east bank, famously the home of Peter Scott in the 1930s.

Rod Callow, 2007



Sutton Bridge, lighthouse
Sutton Bridge, East Bank Lighthouse
Sutton Bridge, East Bank Lighthouse
Sutton Bridge, East Bank Lighthouse

Plaque on the wall of the East Bank Lighthouse commemorating its occupancy by Sir Peter Scott.

Rod Callow, 2007

Sutton Bridge, lighthouse, Peter Scott blue plaque
Sutton Bridge, St Matthew
Sutton Bridge, St Matthew
Sutton Bridge, St Matthew

St Matthew's church is built of knapped flint with stone dressings, materials more common to churches of Norfolk than Lincolnshire.

It dates from 1843 and is attributed to Joseph Longlands of the parish.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1999

 

Sutton Bridge, St Matthew, Joseph Longlands
Sutton Bridge, West Bank Lighthouse
Sutton Bridge, West Bank Lighthouse
Sutton Bridge, West Bank Lighthouse

The West Bank Lighthouse has been converted into a sizeable dwelling.

Rod Callow, 2007

Sutton Bridge, lighthouse