Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Swinderby
 
Swinderby, All Saints
Swinderby, All Saints
Swinderby, All Saints

The apse at the east end of the church is part of the restoration by J T Lee in 1879.

October 2016

Swinderby, All Saints, J T Lee
Swinderby, All Saints
Swinderby, All Saints
Swinderby, All Saints

All Saints, Swinderby, has a late Norman north arcade and Early English tower.

There are eighteenth-century monuments including one to a Disney.

Mark Acton, 2016


Swinderby, All Saints, Disney
Swinderby, All Saints
Swinderby, All Saints
Swinderby, All Saints

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"The church of All Saints is a building of stone, chiefly of the Norman period, consisting of apsidal chancel, with organ chamber, nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower, with 8 pinnacles containing a clock and 5 bells, the clock having been erected in 1887 at a cost of £50:

the arcade of the north aisle is a fine example of Early Norman work:

there is a brass, with inscription, to certain members of the ancient family of Disney, dated 1613, and a monument to the Misses Cartwright, sisters of Major George Cartwright, late of Ossington Hall, Notts, dated 1778:

there are three stained windows in the apse:

in 1910 a stained glass window was erected to the Rev. C. H. K. Long B.A. vicar 1876-1910, in whose memory a carved oak altar and churchyard cross were also provided:

there is also a memorial window to Mrs. Talbot:

since the restoration two screens of iron work have been fixed in the north arches of the chancel and a similar screen under the chancel arch:

the organ was given by E. Matthews esq.:

the church was repaired, new roofed, reseated, and the north aisle enlarged in 1854, and thoroughly restored in 1879, at a cost of £861, under the direction of Mr. John T. Lee, of London, when a circular apse was added to the chancel, a porch and organ chamber erected and 2 new bells added:

there are 215 sittings.

DB 10 September 2018 

Swinderby, All Saints, Church
Swinderby, All Saints, Churchyard Cross
Swinderby, All Saints, Churchyard Cross
Swinderby, All Saints, Churchyard Cross

Churchyard cross in memory of Rev. C. H. K. Long B.A. vicar 1876-1910.

DB 10 September 2018 

Swinderby, All Saints, Churchyard Cross, C.H.K. Long
Swinderby, All Saints, sundial
Swinderby, All Saints, sundial
Swinderby, All Saints, sundial

This small sundial is close on the south face of the tower.

October 2016

Swinderby, All Saints, Sundial
Swinderby, All Saints, Tower
Swinderby, All Saints, Tower
Swinderby, All Saints, Tower

"Plain 12C tower, with square headed 2 light window in west facade"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1165316 

DB 10 September 2018 

Swinderby, All Saints, Church, Tower
Swinderby, Half Way House, Public House, Newark Road
Swinderby, Half Way House, Public House, Newark Road
Swinderby, Half Way House, Public House, Newark Road

Located, outside the village, next to the A46 Newark Road, between Lincoln and Newark.

In recent years it was renamed as the "Dovecote" but had ceased trading when this image was taken.

Mentioned in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1913 but not in the earlier 1909 edition.

"Moss Mary Elizabeth (Mrs.), Half Way House P.H"

DB 10 September 2018 

Swinderby, Dovecote, Half Way House, Public House
Swinderby, Manor Farm House, High Street
Swinderby, Manor Farm House, High Street
Swinderby, Manor Farm House, High Street

"Manor House. Late 17C"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062011 

DB 10 September 2018

Swinderby, Manor Farm House
Swinderby, Methodist Chapel
Swinderby, Methodist Chapel
Swinderby, Methodist Chapel

This former Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1869 at a cost of about £600.

It is currently used for worship by the Newark Christian Fellowship under the name 'Light and Life Missions'.

August 2016

Swinderby, Methodist Chapel, Wesleyan
Swinderby, Methodist Chapel
Swinderby, Methodist Chapel
Swinderby, Methodist Chapel

This attractive building is a prominent feature of Swinderby's High Street.

The long facade against the street is built of red and cream brick with dog-tooth decorated frieze and pale limestone around windows and doors.

August 2016

Swinderby, Methodist Chapel
Swinderby, Methodist Chapel
Swinderby, Methodist Chapel
Swinderby, Methodist Chapel

Date stones set into chapel wall.

DB 10 September 2018

Swinderby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Schools
Swinderby, Old School House, High Street
Swinderby, Old School House, High Street
Swinderby, Old School House, High Street

"School House. Early 19C"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061971 

DB 10 September 2018

Swinderby, Old School House
Swinderby, Plough, Public House
Swinderby, Plough, Public House
Swinderby, Plough, Public House

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1885 mentions two public houses

Skelton John, Red Lion P.H

Smith William, Plough P.H

and in 1919 there were three

Bones Mary Ann (Mrs.), Sir Isaac Newton P.H

Pettefar George,Half Way House P.H

Smith George, Plough P.H 

DB 10 September 2018

Swinderby, Plough, Public House
Swinderby, Primary School
Swinderby, Primary School
Swinderby, Primary School

The church primary school was built in 1849. The first mistress was Miss Edwards.

August 2016

Swinderby, primary school
Swinderby, Primary School
Swinderby, Primary School
Swinderby, Primary School

A seond view of the school, which faces south along the main street. It is a brick building with modern rendering.

August 2016

Swinderby,
Swinderby, Telephone Kiosk & Village Notice Board, High Street
Swinderby, Telephone Kiosk & Village Notice Board, High Street
Swinderby, Telephone Kiosk & Village Notice Board, High Street

K6 type telephone kiosk designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of King George V in 1935.

"This phone box was manufactured by W. Macfarlane and Co., Saracen Faundry, Glasgow between 1945 and 1953"

Kiosk taken out of use by BT, but has now been adopted by Swinderby Parish Council, and is being used to house a display of post cards.

DB 10 September 2018 

Swinderby, K6, Telephone Kiosk, Village Notice Board