Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Tetford
 
Tetford, Bridge Sawmill
Tetford, Bridge Sawmill
Tetford, Bridge Sawmill

It appears that this sawmill on East Road began about 1930 as part of Grant Brothers’ operation and continued in use till 1980s under Peter Scott.

Because of the rather cramped position it occupies by the roadside, tree trunks being sawn were fed in diagonally across the road.

It is recalled that passengers on Lancasters’ bus would climb down to help push the wood through in order to hasten the process and allow the bus to proceed.

Jean Howard, January 2021 



Tetford, sawmill, Grant Brothers, Peter Scott. Lancaster bus
Tetford, Bridge Sawmill
Tetford, Bridge Sawmill
Tetford, Bridge Sawmill

Once no longer used for its original purpose the building was converted into holiday accommodation but is now a permanent residence.

The saw blade makes an unusual nameplate.

Jean Howard, January 2021



Tetford, sawmill,
Tetford, Edward Richardson Primary School
Tetford, Edward Richardson Primary School
Tetford, Edward Richardson Primary School

A modern replacement for the 1821 National School which is now a private house.

"The Edward Richardson Community Primary School was founded through a 1714 bequest from Edward Richardson of a cottage and about 7 acres (28,000 m2) of land towards teaching the poor children of Tetford and Salmonby. In 1821 a National School was built and enlarged in 1897 and 1899"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetford 

DB 18 January 2020 

Tetford, Edward Richardson Primary School
Tetford, Meridian Line
Tetford, Meridian Line
Tetford, Meridian Line

Like many parishes in Lincolnshire, Tetford lies astride the Greenwich Meridian of zero degrees longitude which passes through the churchyard.

This stone is on the roadside just north of the church nave. It reads:

This stone was placed here by/ Tetford Parish Council/ to commemorate the/ Diamond Jubilee of/ Queen Elizabeth II/ June 2012.

This stone has been positioned on the line of the Greenwich Meridian where it passes through Tetford.

Every place on earth is measured in terms of distance east or west from the Greenwich Meridian.  The line divides the eastern and western hemispheres of the earth, just as the Equator divides the northern and southern hemispheres.

The path of the Meridian Line is determined by the location of a historic telescope, the Airy Transit Circle, which is housed at the Royal Observatory at Greenwich, London.

The Meridian Line passes through the United Kingdom, France, Spain, Algeria, Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Ghana, and Antarctica.

The Greenwich Meridian sits at the heart of the world’s system of time zones.

Civil time changes by one hour forward and backward respectively for every fifteen degrees east or west of the Greenwich Meridian Line.

Time is not absolute, only relative.

Jean Howard, March 2020

Tetford, meridian line
Tetford, National School
Tetford, National School
Tetford, National School

Inscription reads "1821 NATIONAL SCHOOL".

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1821 & enlarged in 1897 & 1899, for 140 children; Richard Luck, master"

Now a private house. 

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, National School
Tetford, St Mary
Tetford, St Mary
Tetford, St Mary

Much of St Mary's, built of greenstone, dates from the fifteenth century.

The church was restored by C H Fowler in 1910.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1990

Tetford, St Mary, C H Fowler
Tetford, St Mary
Tetford, St Mary
Tetford, St Mary

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of St. Mary, a building of stone, was built about 1340, on the site of an earlier church:

the church is chiefly of the Decorated and Perpendicular periods, with some Late Norman and Early English remains and modern work, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower with four pinnacles containing a clock and 3 bells :

the south aisle and both arcades are Decorated the roof was raised and a clerestory added about 1440:

the north aisle was rebuilt in 1826:

in the south aisle is a piscina and a crocketed ogee arch:

the porch retains a stoup :

on the south wall is a memorial surmounted by a breastplate and helmet of large size, to Captain Edward Dymoke, the Hon. the King's Champion, who died 12 Sept. 1760:

in the churchyard stands part of the base of a cross:

in 1910 the church was restored at a cost of over £750:

there are 250 sittings"

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church
Tetford, St Mary
Tetford, St Mary
Tetford, St Mary

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"The Church (St. Mary) is a neat structure, with a tower and three bells.

It has 450 sittings, of which 110 were added about eight years ago, when the society for enlarging churches gave £40 towards the expense of this increased accommodation, but stipulated that sixty of the new sittings should be free.

Fifty additional sittings were also provided about five years ago.

The rectory, valued in K.B. at £15. 0s. 10d., and now worth about £450 per annum, has 309 acres of land, allotted at the enclosure, in 1767, in lieu of tithes.

Sir M.J. Cholmeley is the patron, and the Rev. Joseph Stockdale, M.A., of Kingerby, is the rector"

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel

Looking towards the C19 east window.

"Altar rail of c.1730 with turned balusters with square knops and broad rail"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205243 

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, chancel
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel

"North side of chancel with part of the outline of a C12 archway which originally lead to the chantry chapel of St. Bartholomew, with semi-circular head and single impost.

Blocked rectangular C14 window set inside with hood mould"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205243 

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel, Memorial
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel, Memorial
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel, Memorial

Memorial in black marble to Rev. John Dymoke, died 1821.

Another two similar memorials to Elizabeth Scaman, died 1839 and Thomas Dymoke, died 1837.

All with serpentine heads and aprons.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205243 

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, memorial, Rev. John Dymoke
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel, Monument
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel, Monument
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel, Monument

"A grey and white marble monument to Charles Thorpe, died 1845"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205243 

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, Charles Thorpe, monument
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel, Monument
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel, Monument
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel, Monument

"Black and white monument with sepulchre and urns, to Rev. John Emeris, died 1819"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205243 

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, monument, John Emeris
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel, Sanctuary
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel, Sanctuary
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel, Sanctuary

C19 sanctuary chair.

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, chancel, chair
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel, Window
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel, Window
Tetford, St Mary, Chancel, Window

Window with C19 stained glass on south side of chancel.

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, window, stained glass
Tetford, St Mary, Churchyard Cross
Tetford, St Mary, Churchyard Cross
Tetford, St Mary, Churchyard Cross

"Cross. C14. Limestone ashlar"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063703 

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, Churchyard, Cross
Tetford, St Mary, Nave
Tetford, St Mary, Nave
Tetford, St Mary, Nave

Looking east towards the mid C14 chancel arch.

"Mid C14 north and south 3 bay tall arcades restored in C19 with double chamfered pointed heads, the inner order of limestone, the outer of green sandstone; octagonal piers, C12 semi-circular moulded bases, C14 octagonal capitals and responds"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205243 

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, Nave
Tetford, St Mary, Nave
Tetford, St Mary, Nave
Tetford, St Mary, Nave

Looking west towards the C14 tower arch with C20 screen below.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205243  

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, Nave
Tetford, St Mary, Nave
Tetford, St Mary, Nave
Tetford, St Mary, Nave

Groove left after removal of box pews in 1909.

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, box pew
Tetford, St Mary, Nave, Memorial
Tetford, St Mary, Nave, Memorial
Tetford, St Mary, Nave, Memorial

"Memorials include: one to Edward Dymoke, died 1739, of black marble with seprentine head and coat of armour above"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205243 

"to the Memory of Capt'n EDWARD DYMOKE, Cousin of LEWIS DYMOKE of SCRIVELSBY, Champion to KING GEORGE 2nd. Interred March 5th 1739.

Also JOHN DYMOKE Gent, nephew to the above, Interred July 23rd 1748.

Also of Mrs JANE DYMOKE his wife, Interred July 27th. 1745"

A display in the church states "Roundhead helmet, breast and back plates. Perhaps associated with site of the Battle of Winceby 1643 in which Cromwell nearly lost his life. Winceby 6 miles south of Tetford" 

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, Edward Dymoke, memorial, armour
Tetford, St Mary, Nave, Pulpit
Tetford, St Mary, Nave, Pulpit
Tetford, St Mary, Nave, Pulpit

C19 pulpit.

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, pulpit
Tetford, St Mary, Nave, West Gallery
Tetford, St Mary, Nave, West Gallery
Tetford, St Mary, Nave, West Gallery

Image displayed in the church, and dated about 1908, showing a gallery at the west end.

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 records 450 sittings while Kelly's Directory of 1919 has 250 sittings. The reduction in the number of sittings can presumably be attributed to the removal of the west end gallery.

DB 18 January 2019 

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, Nave, gallery
Tetford, St Mary, Nave, West Gallery
Tetford, St Mary, Nave, West Gallery
Tetford, St Mary, Nave, West Gallery

Filled holes, near the tower arch, where supports for the west gallery formerly fitted.

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, west gallery
Tetford, St Mary, North Aisle
Tetford, St Mary, North Aisle
Tetford, St Mary, North Aisle

Looking east.

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church
Tetford, St Mary, North Aisle
Tetford, St Mary, North Aisle
Tetford, St Mary, North Aisle

Looking west.

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church
Tetford, St Mary, North Aisle
Tetford, St Mary, North Aisle
Tetford, St Mary, North Aisle

Tablet recording rebuilding of the north aisle in 1826.

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, aisle, Francis Scaman
Tetford, St Mary, North Aisle
Tetford, St Mary, North Aisle
Tetford, St Mary, North Aisle

Altar at the east end of the north aisle.

A nearby notice states the the altar was brought from St Margaret's Church, Salmonby which was demolished in 1978. 

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, altar
Tetford, St Mary, Porch
Tetford, St Mary, Porch
Tetford, St Mary, Porch

"Gabled C15 porch to west, heavily restored in C19 with pointed south doorway with continuous chamfered surround.

Sundial above"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205243 

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, Porch
Tetford, St Mary, Porch, Stoup
Tetford, St Mary, Porch, Stoup
Tetford, St Mary, Porch, Stoup

Former water stoup in the north east corner of the porch.

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, Porch, Stoup
Tetford, St Mary, Porch, Sundial
Tetford, St Mary, Porch, Sundial
Tetford, St Mary, Porch, Sundial

Detail of sundial above the porch entrance.

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, porch, sundial
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle

Looking east.

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, Aisle
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle

View looking west past the font and towards the organ.

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, Aisle
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle

View from the south aisle, across the nave, and into the north aisle.

Clerestorey of c.1500 visible above the mid C14 nave arcade.

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church,
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle, Font
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle, Font
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle, Font

"C14 octagonal font with foliate motifs on lower side and with C20 pedestal of 8 shafts"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205243 

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, Font
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle, Organ
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle, Organ
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle, Organ

Maker's plate reads :-

"Alfred Kirkland, Organ Builder, 155A Marlborough Road, Upper Holloway, London N19"

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, Organ, Alfred Kirkland
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle, Organ
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle, Organ
Tetford, St Mary, South Aisle, Organ

A notice states that the organ, and altar in the north aisle, were both brought from St Margaret's Church, Salmonby.

St Margaret's was demolished in 1978.

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, organ
Tetford, St Mary, Tower
Tetford, St Mary, Tower
Tetford, St Mary, Tower

"3 stage west tower of c.1500 with 6 stage angle buttresses, moulded plinth and string course.

Pointed west doorway with double bowtell continuous surround, hood mould and plank door.

Moulded string course above with pointed window above that, with bowtell moulded surround, 3 pointed cusped lights, perpendicular tracery and hood mould that runs into a string course on either side.

Clock and moulded string course above.

Bell openings on all 4 sides each with a pointed head, bowtell moulded surround, 2 cusped, ogee headed lights and hood mould.

Moulded eaves with large corner gargoyles.

Decorative open-work parapet with corner pinnacles"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205243 

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, Tower
Tetford, St Mary, Tower
Tetford, St Mary, Tower
Tetford, St Mary, Tower

Another view of the c.1500 west tower.

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, tower
Tetford, St Mary, Tower, Gargoyle
Tetford, St Mary, Tower, Gargoyle
Tetford, St Mary, Tower, Gargoyle

Large corner gargoyle.

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, Saint Mary, Church, gargoyle
Tetford, Tennyson Cottage
Tetford, Tennyson Cottage
Tetford, Tennyson Cottage

Although much extended this cottage shows that at its core is a mud and stud cottage.

Note the central door opening in line with the central chimney stack creating a typical baffle entry.

Jean Howard, January 2021

Tetford, Tennyson cottage, mud and stud
Tetford, The Mansion
Tetford, The Mansion
Tetford, The Mansion

This house was built in 1682/3 in Little London for John Dymoke but remodelled to its present appearance of a mid eighteenth-century house with five bays facing north onto the road.

It is believed that it had a thatched roof until 1849, perhaps the date of a further nineteenth-century revision.

A pair of brick piers topped by stone urns frame the central pedestrian entrance leading to the nineteenth-century central doorway flanked by fluted half-columns.

It is Grade II listed.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1280802

Jean Howard, January 2021


Tetford, Mansion, John Dymoke
Tetford, The Mansion
Tetford, The Mansion
Tetford, The Mansion

The 5-bay south front with nineteenth-century portico of 4 fluted doric columns seen from the footpath across the parkland.

Jean Howard, January 2021 

Tetford, Mansion
Tetford, The Mansion
Tetford, The Mansion
Tetford, The Mansion

This view from the east shows the Gothick library wing added to the south-west corner of the Mansion in 1973.

It was designed by Francis Johnson, who also designed the music pavilion at Thorpe Tilney Hall.

Jean Howard, January 2021
Tetford, mansion, Francis Johnson, Thorpe Tilney Hall
Tetford, Village Sign
Tetford, Village Sign
Tetford, Village Sign

Sign showing St Mary's Church nestling in the Lincolnshire Wolds.

Located just beyond the Cross Keys Inn, Salmonby. 

DB 18 January 2020 

Tetford, Village Sign
Tetford, War Memorial
Tetford, War Memorial
Tetford, War Memorial

First & Second World War memorial.

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, War Memorial
Tetford, War Memorial
Tetford, War Memorial
Tetford, War Memorial

Tetford War Memorial stands on the high bank at the junction of Salmonby Road with South Road.

It is in the form of an octagonal spired obelisk surmounted by an orb and was supplied by monumental masons Messrs Browning & Son of Spilsby at a cost of £200.

There is no account of when the unveiling took place, but it is thought to have been in January or February of 1920.

The site was given by Mr A E Maughan of Tetford House. His nephew, Pte Walter Maughan is among those commemorated.

In November 2020 it was decorated with three wreaths and several local families, unable to attend because of Covid 19 regulations, placed individual crosses in the bank.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Lincolnshire/Tetford.html#:~:text=TETFORD%20WAR%20MEMORIAL&text=To%20the%20glory%20of%20God,his%20life%20for%20his%20friends.

http://www.memorial-lincs.org.uk/tetford/

Jean Howard, November 2020

Tetford, war memorial
Tetford, War Memorial
Tetford, War Memorial
Tetford, War Memorial

There is an interesting anomaly on the memorial which is largely unrecognised unless one takes the trouble to climb the steep steps and study the list of WWI names displayed.

For more than seventy years the list of names was in order of the date of death, from Pte Walter Cooper Maughan, killed on 28 July 1915, to Pte Willie Lancaster who died on 25 August 1918.

Private Charles Whiting was the son of Judith and Edward Whiting of Hillside Farm, Tetford.  Edward Whiting could not accept his son’s death, so Charles’ medals were returned by his father and are in the Imperial War Museum.

This soldier’s name was therefore not included on the memorial until Maud, his sister, asked the parish council in 1997 if this could be done.

The space remaining permitted it be put at the top, and Maud aged 97 years was brought to see that her wishes had been carried out.

She died three weeks later.

Jean Howard, November 2020

Tetford, war memorial
Tetford, Watermill
Tetford, Watermill
Tetford, Watermill

At the east end of the building is the wheelhouse with some of the mechanism visible above.

The waterwheel dates back to mid-seventeenth century though with much timber repair. It remains intact with all the milling machinery in place.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063659

Jean Howard, January 2021


Tetford, watermill
Tetford, Watermill
Tetford, Watermill
Tetford, Watermill

The mill on Mill Lane was in use until the spring of 1947 when the exceptional weight of water from melting snow caused the sluice to jam. However the baking of bread and scones continued until 1961.

In 1963 the property was sold to the village doctor who lived in the house and made the outbuildings opposite into the village surgery. This remained the situation after his retirement in 1995 until the building of new medical premises in West Road.

The building is Grade II listed.

Jean Howard, January 2021 

Tetford, watermill
Tetford, Watermill, Millstones
Tetford, Watermill, Millstones
Tetford, Watermill, Millstones

Some former mill-stones have been set in the pavement on the south side of the lane.

Jean Howard, January 2021 

Tetford, millwheels, millstones
Tetford, White Hart
Tetford, White Hart
Tetford, White Hart

The Inn's website states :- 

"This Traditional droving Inn has been the centre of rural life since around 1520.

This year 2020 the Hart is celebrating it's 500th Anniversary. We have many events planned throughout the year, to be announced.

It was frequented by local born poet Tennyson and Dr Johnson a great character who wrote the first English dictionary"

https://whiteharttetford.my-free.website/ 

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, White Hart, Inn, Public House
Tetford, White Hart, Dr Johnson
Tetford, White Hart, Dr Johnson
Tetford, White Hart, Dr Johnson

Wall display celebrating the presence of Dr Samuel Johnson.

Reported in the Horncastle News that :- 

"The White Hart is one of Lincolnshire's oldest inns, and onetime venue for the " Tetford Club", a gentleman's society, which had the honour of entertaining Dr Samuel Johnson in 1764, and the membership of Alfred Lord Tennyson"

https://www.horncastlenews.co.uk/lifestyle/a-gentle-ramble-through-lovely-tennyson-country-1-848600 

DB 18 January 2020

Tetford, White Hart, Inn, Public House, Samuel Johnson, writer, lexicographer
Tetford, Wood Farmhouse
Tetford, Wood Farmhouse
Tetford, Wood Farmhouse

The rather awkward position of this fine house on an s-bend is because it pre-dates enclosure of 1765.

Jean Howard, January 2021 

Tetford, Wood Farm house