Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Waddington
 
Waddington, Fire Insurance Mark
Waddington, Fire Insurance Mark
Waddington, Fire Insurance Mark

Fire mark of the Hand in Hand Fire & Life Insurance Society on a building at the corner of Rectory Lane.

The Hand in Hand was established as a mutual society in London on 12 November 1696.

https://heritage.aviva.com/our-history/companies/h/hand-in-hand-fire-and-life-insurance-society/ 

DB 30 April 2018

Waddington, Hand in Hand Fire & Life Insurance Society
Waddington, Horse & Jockey, Public House
Waddington, Horse & Jockey, Public House
Waddington, Horse & Jockey, Public House

"Originally a 16th-century coaching inn"

http://www.thehorseandjockeyatwaddington.co.uk/history 

"Public House. C18 with C19 and C20 additions"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1164935 

"Enemy action during 1941 severely damaged 71 houses in the village, as well as the Horse & Jockey pub and the NAFFI building on the RAF station. The damage was mainly caused by two aerial mines; large bombs dropped by parachute and fused to explode before hitting the ground"

http://parishes.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Waddington/section.asp?catId=21048 

Supposed to be haunted by the Green Lady. 

DB 30 April 2018

Waddington, Horse & Jockey, Public House, Green Lady
Waddington, RAF Waddington, Air Show
Waddington, RAF Waddington, Air Show
Waddington, RAF Waddington, Air Show

Royal Air Force Waddington - Crowds at Air Show pictured in 1981. 

DB May 1981

Waddington, Royal Air Force Waddington, Air Show
Waddington, RAF Waddington, Air Show, Avro Vulcan
Waddington, RAF Waddington, Air Show, Avro Vulcan
Waddington, RAF Waddington, Air Show, Avro Vulcan

Royal Air Force Waddington - Air Show pictured in 1981. 

"In the Cold War, RAF Waddington became an Avro Vulcan V-bomber base, with 83 Sqn being the first in the RAF to receive the Vulcan in May 1957. It continued in this role until 1984 when the last Vulcan squadron, No. 50, disbanded"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Waddington 

DB May 1981

Waddington, Royal Air Force Waddington, Air Show, RAF, Avro Vulcan, V-bomber
Waddington, St Michael
Waddington, St Michael
Waddington, St Michael

The medieval church at Waddington was totally destroyed in May 1941 in a bombing raid on the nearby RAF base.

The present church, consecrated in 1954, has a plain exterior of Ancaster stone, with a large west window to the nave and a north-west tower.

The churchyard contains a number of Commonwealth War Graves.

May 2012

Waddington, St Michael church,
Waddington, St Michael
Waddington, St Michael
Waddington, St Michael

Excellent church history available online.

http://stmichaelschurchwaddington.org.uk/church%20history/index.html 

DB 30 April 2018 

Waddington, St Michael church,
Waddington, St Michael, Churchyard
Waddington, St Michael, Churchyard
Waddington, St Michael, Churchyard

Commonwealth war graves in Saint Michael's churchyard.

DB 30 April 2018 

Waddington, St Michael church, churchyard, Commonwealth war graves
Waddington, St Michael, Font
Waddington, St Michael, Font
Waddington, St Michael, Font

Was this font salvaged from the 12th-century church destroyed in a Second World War air raid on the night of 8 May 1941?

DB 30 April 2018

Waddington, St Michael church,
Waddington, Three Horseshoes, Public House
Waddington, Three Horseshoes, Public House
Waddington, Three Horseshoes, Public House

"There are three public houses in the village, the names of which reflect the agricultural history of the village.

In the centre of the village is the Horse and Jockey which fronts the old town square, while the Three Horse Shoes is situated beside St. Michael’s Church on High Street.

The third public house is the Wheatsheaf which is situated at the crossroads of the Lincoln to Grantham road (A607) and Mere Road which is the main access road to RAF Waddington.

http://parishes.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Waddington/section.asp?docId=69862 

DB 30 April 2018

Waddington, Three Horseshoes, Public House
Waddington, War Memorial
Waddington, War Memorial
Waddington, War Memorial

The original war memorial was destroyed May 1941 in a bombing raid on the nearby RAF base.

"A new memorial in the form of a polished stone of remembrance was erected in Bar Lane, Waddington made from York granite and was unveiled 9th November 2003 at a cost of £4,018 50p; the builders were Leakes Masonry of Louth"

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Lincolnshire/Waddington.html 

DB 30 April 2018

Waddington, War Memorial
Waddington, War Memorial
Waddington, War Memorial
Waddington, War Memorial

Artwork associated with the war memorials.

DB 30 April 2018

Waddington, War Memorial
Waddington, War Memorial, RAAF Squadrons 463 & 467
Waddington, War Memorial, RAAF Squadrons 463 & 467
Waddington, War Memorial, RAAF Squadrons 463 & 467

A nearby plaque states :-

"LEST WE FORGET

THIS CLOCK IS A MEMORIAL TO THOSE MEMBERS OF 463 AND 467 ROYAL AUSTRALIAN AIR FORCE SQUADRONS WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES WHILST SERVING WITH NO. 5 GROUP R.A.F BOMBER COMMAND DURING THE 1935 - 1945 WAR.

10TH MAY 1987" 

DB 30 April 2018 

Waddington, Memorial, Clock, Royal Australian Air Force, 463 Squadron, 467 Squadron, Bomber Command
Waddington, Wesleyan Methodist
Waddington, Wesleyan Methodist
Waddington, Wesleyan Methodist
The first Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Waddington was in Chapel Lane (now Maltkiln Lane) between 1817 and 1850.
 
This was replaced by Hill Top chapel between 1850 and 1905.
 
High Street chapel opened in 1905 and closed in 2005.
 
DB 30 April 2018 

Waddington, Wesleyan Methodist
Waddington, Wesleyan Methodist, War Memorial
Waddington, Wesleyan Methodist, War Memorial
Waddington, Wesleyan Methodist, War Memorial

This war memorial tablet originally located in the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street.

Moved to St Michael's Church following closure of the Chapel in 2005.

DB 30 April 2018 

Waddington, Wesleyan Methodist, war memorial, St Michael's Church
Waddington, Wheatsheaf, Public House
Waddington, Wheatsheaf, Public House
Waddington, Wheatsheaf, Public House

"There are three public houses in the village, the names of which reflect the agricultural history of the village.

In the centre of the village is the Horse and Jockey which fronts the old town square, while the Three Horse Shoes is situated beside St. Michael’s Church on High Street.

The third public house is the Wheatsheaf which is situated at the crossroads of the Lincoln to Grantham road (A607) and Mere Road which is the main access road to RAF Waddington"

http://parishes.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Waddington/section.asp?docId=69862 

DB 30 April 2018

Waddington, Wheatsheaf, Public House
Waddington, Worsdall’s Mill (1)
Waddington, Worsdall’s Mill (1)
Waddington, Worsdall’s Mill (1)

A tower mill built in 1866, initially with three floors (later heightened to five) and four sails.

The mill worked until the early 1920s.

Exley Collection, photograph 1927

Waddington, Worsdall's Mill, windmill, Jon Sass
Waddington, Worsdall’s Mill (2)
Waddington, Worsdall’s Mill (2)
Waddington, Worsdall’s Mill (2)

At the time of the Second World War the tower was reduced in height because of the nearby airfield.

Location of Mill: SK 974 634

Peter Kirk Collection, 1998

Waddington, Worsdall's Mill, windmill, Peter Kirk