Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Wainfleet All Saints
 
Wainfleet All Saints, church
Wainfleet All Saints, church
Wainfleet All Saints, church

All Saintsí dates from 1821, and replaced an earlier building west of the present town.

The church is built of brick with windows in Perpendicular style. Stone niches and tall pinnacles flank the window at the west end.

July 2014

Wainfleet All Saints, church
Wainfleet All Saints, church bell turret
Wainfleet All Saints, church bell turret
Wainfleet All Saints, church bell turret

The western bell-turret with its tiles and ornamental lead roof was added to the church in 1932.

July 2014

Wainfleet All Saints, church, bell turret
Wainfleet All Saints, church font
Wainfleet All Saints, church font
Wainfleet All Saints, church font

The 15th century font in All Saints' church is decorated with traceried panels and emblems of the Passion. Presumably it came from the town's earlier medieval church.

July 2014

Wainfleet All Saints, church font
Wainfleet All Saints, church interior
Wainfleet All Saints, church interior
Wainfleet All Saints, church interior

Strongly coloured ceilings in the nave and chancel relieve the plain box-like shape of the church.

July 2014

Wainfleet All Saints, church
Wainfleet All Saints, church plaque
Wainfleet All Saints, church plaque
Wainfleet All Saints, church plaque

The Society for Promoting the Enlargement, Building and Repair of Churches and Chapels was formed in 1818 and incorporated in 1828.

Wainfleet All Saints received a grant at the time of the building of the church in 1821.

July 2015

Wainfleet All Saints, church memorial, Society for Promoting Enlargement Building Repair of Churches
Wainfleet All Saints, Clock Tower
Wainfleet All Saints, Clock Tower
Wainfleet All Saints, Clock Tower

The brick clock tower in Wainfleet's Market Place was built in 1899. It is Grade II listed.

Drawing by Tom Brooker, 1970

Wainfleet All Saints, clock tower
Wainfleet All Saints, Methodist Chapel
Wainfleet All Saints, Methodist Chapel
Wainfleet All Saints, Methodist Chapel

The chapel on St Johns Street is the third built for the Wesleyan Methodists on this site.

The first was erected in 1804, the second in 1820 and the third, the present one, opened in 1902.

postcard, dated 1915

Wainfleet All Saints, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Wainfleet All Saints, Methodist Chapel
Wainfleet All Saints, Methodist Chapel
Wainfleet All Saints, Methodist Chapel

The chapel in St Johnís Street opened in July 1902, replacing a chapel of 1820 on the same site.

The original iron railings and part of the boundary wall at the front of the chapel have been removed.

July 2014

Wainfleet All Saints, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Wainfleet All Saints, Salem Bridge House
Wainfleet All Saints, Salem Bridge House
Wainfleet All Saints, Salem Bridge House

Wainfleet is an ancient port and market town lying five miles south west of Skegness.

The brick and thatch Bridge House dates from about 1700.

undated postcard

Wainfleet All Saints, Salem Bridge House
Wainfleet All Saints, Salem Bridge Mill (1)
Wainfleet All Saints, Salem Bridge Mill (1)
Wainfleet All Saints, Salem Bridge Mill (1)

Now part of Batemanís Brewery this mill was built in the 1820s.

It had six floors and five sails. Milling ceased in 1922.

Jon Sass Collection, undated photograph

Wainfleet All Saints, Salem Bridge Mill windmill, Jon Sass
Wainfleet All Saints, Salem Bridge Mill (2)
Wainfleet All Saints, Salem Bridge Mill (2)
Wainfleet All Saints, Salem Bridge Mill (2)

The windmill was bought by Batemans brewery in the early 1920s.

The sails of the mill have been removed.

The ground floor is now a bar open to visitors whilst the floor above is the company board-room. 

Location of mill: TF 495 586

Peter Kirk Collection, 2002


Wainfleet All Saints, Bateman's brewery
Wainfleet All Saints, Salem Bridge Mill (3)
Wainfleet All Saints, Salem Bridge Mill (3)
Wainfleet All Saints, Salem Bridge Mill (3)

This view of the mill shows its location by the Salem Bridge over the Steeping River in the centre of this small town.

undated postcard

Wainfleet All Saints, Salem Bridge, George Bateman, brewery, windmill
Wainfleet All Saints, School
Wainfleet All Saints, School
Wainfleet All Saints, School

Wainfleet was the birthplace of William Waynflete, who became Bishop of Winchester and Chancellor of England in the 15th century.

Wainfleet School was founded in 1484 by Waynflete as a feeder school for his other foundation, Magdalen College Oxford.

This fine red brick building was in continual use as a school until the 1980s; it now houses the local museum and library.

Frank Robinson, 2007

Wainfleet All Saints, Magdalen School, William Waynflete, brick,
Wainfleet All Saints, School
Wainfleet All Saints, School
Wainfleet All Saints, School

Another view of the fifteenth century shows the diaper work in the lower parts of the octagonal towers and the Tudor chimneys with typical rubbed brick decoration.

The large window in the west elevation facing the road is in the Perpendicular style of the period.

July 2014

Wainfleet All Saints,
Wainfleet All Saints, School
Wainfleet All Saints, School
Wainfleet All Saints, School

Descriptive plaque on the school building.

July 2014

 

Wainfleet All Saints,
Wainfleet All Saints, School
Wainfleet All Saints, School
Wainfleet All Saints, School

An early twentieth-century view of the building when still in use as a school (before the foundation of Skegness Grammar School, to which pupils later transferred).

undated postcard

Wainfleet All Saints,
Wainfleet Bank, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Wainfleet Bank, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Wainfleet Bank, Primitive Methodist Chapel

The first service held by the Primitive Methodists here was in September 1838.

It is Grade II listed and was still in use in the 1990s.

It is located at NGR TF 470 592 on Mill Lane in Wainfleet All Saints parish.

Barry Barton, 1978

Wainfleet All Saints, Wainfleet Bank Primitive Methodist Chapel
Wainfleet Bank, St Luke
Wainfleet Bank, St Luke
Wainfleet Bank, St Luke

It is located at NGR TF 474592 or is it 497577? in Wainfleet All Saints parish.

Barry Barton, 1981 

Wainfleet All Saints, St Luke