Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Walcot by Billinghay
 
Walcott, Plough Inn, High Street
Walcott, Plough Inn, High Street
Walcott, Plough Inn, High Street

Mentioned in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1937 :-

"Allen Frank, beer retlr. Plough inn"

Also reference to Wilson's Arms P.H which was further to the north along High Street. 

DB 10 July 2019

Walcott, Plough Inn, public house
Walcott, St Oswald
Walcott, St Oswald
Walcott, St Oswald

A 'Commissioners' type church of 1852. It contains some fragments from the long-vanished Gilbertine Catley Abbey.

Mark Acton, 2018

Walcott, St Oswald
Walcott, St Oswald
Walcott, St Oswald
Walcott, St Oswald

St Oswald's has the distinction of being the Lincolnshire church with the shortest description in Pevsner's 'Buildings of England: Lincolnshire', viz '1852. Of stock brick, with lancets and a bellcote.' He even favoured the architecture of the village's Methodist chapel above the church's, a rare occurrence.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1989

Walcott, St Oswald
Walcott, St Oswald
Walcott, St Oswald
Walcott, St Oswald

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of St. Oswald, erected by the Rev. E.C.F. Jenkins, a former vicar, in 1852 near the site of an earlier chapel, taken down in 1780, is an edifice of brick, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an open belfry containing one bell"

DB 10 July 2019

Walcott, Saint Oswald, Church
Walcott, St Oswald
Walcott, St Oswald
Walcott, St Oswald

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"The ancient Chapel of Ease (St. Oswald) went to decay about 80 years ago; but a small new one was built in 1852 by subscription, in the early English style, with a bell gable.

The curacy is annexed to Billinghay vicarage"

DB 10 July 2019

Walcott, Saint Oswald, Church
Walcott, St Oswald, Chancel
Walcott, St Oswald, Chancel
Walcott, St Oswald, Chancel

C19 choir stalls, reredos and altar.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061750

DB 10 July 2019

Walcott, Saint Oswald, Church
Walcott, St Oswald, Chancel, East Window
Walcott, St Oswald, Chancel, East Window
Walcott, St Oswald, Chancel, East Window

Modern glass c1971.

DB 10 July 2019

Walcott, Saint Oswald, Church, stained glass
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave

Looking east towards the chancel.

C19 wooden pews & pulpit.

DB 10 July 2019

Walcott, Saint Oswald, Church
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave

Looking west towards the entrance.

DB 10 July 2019

Walcott, Saint Oswald, Church
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave, Catley Abbey Monument
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave, Catley Abbey Monument
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave, Catley Abbey Monument

"REMOVED FROM THE SITE OF CATELY ABBEY IN THIS PARISH 1912"

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"About half a mile south-west of the hamlet is the site of Catley Abbey, founded in the time of Stephen, for monks and nuns of the Gilbertine order, by Peter de Belingley, and dedicated to St. Mary; the revenues at the Dissolution were valued at £33; no remains of the buildings, which covered about 5 acres of ground, are now extant, but fragments of stone, exquisitely carved, as well as an ancient key, have been discovered on the spot, and are preserved by the family of the late Mr. E.G. Allen, of Highfield, Metheringham"

DB 10 July 2019

Walcott, Saint Oswald, Church, Catley Abbey
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave, Font
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave, Font
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave, Font

C19 ashlar octagonal bowl and stem font.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061750 

DB 10 July 2019

Walcott, Saint Oswald, Church, font
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave, Organ
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave, Organ
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave, Organ

Located at the east end of the nave against the south wall.

DB 10 July 2019

Walcott, Saint Oswald, Church, organ
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave, Roll of Honour
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave, Roll of Honour
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave, Roll of Honour

Framed Roll of Honour 1914 - 1919.

DB 10 July 2019

Walcott, Saint Oswald, Church, roll of honour
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave, War Memorial
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave, War Memorial
Walcott, St Oswald, Nave, War Memorial

Brass wall plaque. 

"TO THE GLORY OF GOD

In sacred and loving memory of the following men of this Parish, who at the call of King and Country left all that was dear to them, endured hardships faced dangers, and finally passed out of the sight of men by the path of duty and self-sacrifice, giving up their lives that others might live in freedom.

1914-1919 ... "

A second wall plaque added following the Second World War. 

DB 10 July 2019

Walcott, Saint Oswald, Church, war memorial
Walcott, St Oswald, Porch
Walcott, St Oswald, Porch
Walcott, St Oswald, Porch

"The nave south wall has a projecting gabled porch; with ashlar coped gable with kneelers.

The double chamfered archway has an ashlar hoodmould with label stops"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061750 

DB 10 July 2019

Walcott, Saint Oswald, Church, porch
Walcott, War Memorial, High Street
Walcott, War Memorial, High Street
Walcott, War Memorial, High Street

"an elegant and ornate Clipsham stone floriated cross"

"Walcott War Memorial was unveiled on the 29 May 1921.

It was constructed by Messrs William Henry Maxey and Sons, building contractors of Sleaford.

At a ceremony attended by members of the local community and clergy, relatives and ex-servicemen the memorial was unveiled by the Revd Robert Oborne Walker, Rector of Aswarby and a former Chaplain of the Forces.

It was dedicated by the Revd William Cole Ambrose of Billingham.

Following the Second World War, two names were added to the memorial"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1455118 

DB 10 July 2019

Walcott, War Memorial
Walcott, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Walcott, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Walcott, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The first Methodist society was formed here in 1769. The chapel on the main road, built for the Wesleyan Methodists, was built in 1869.

It ceased as a place of worship in 1982 and has since been converted into a dwelling.

April 2018

Walcott, by Billinghay, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel