Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Welby
 
Welby, Crown & Anchor
Welby, Crown & Anchor
Welby, Crown & Anchor

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1876 mentions two public houses the Waggon & Horses and Red Lion.

The former Waggon & Horses is further along Main Street so maybe the Red Lion has been renamed?

William Kirk landlord of the Red Lion in 1876 was also a shoe maker.

DB 18 June 2018

Welby, Crown & Anchor, public house
Welby, School
Welby, School
Welby, School

Former school now a private house.

"A school in the parish was united with the National Society in 1837, and a new school was built in 1869.

It had become a primary school by 1953.

The school was closed on 18 July 1972, with the children transferred to the Grantham National School and Heydour CE School (re-named Heydour and Welby CE School)"

https://www.lincstothepast.com/WELBY-CE-SCHOOL/528870.record?pt=S 

DB 18 June 2018

Welby, School
Welby, St Bartholomew
Welby, St Bartholomew
Welby, St Bartholomew

St Bartholomew, Welby, has an Early English tower with broached spire. The porch and clerestoried nave are in fine Perpendicular style.

Mark Acton, 2016

Welby, St Bartholomew
Welby, St Bartholomew
Welby, St Bartholomew
Welby, St Bartholomew

The three architectural styles of the church are clearly seen: the Early English tower, the Perpendicular nave, and the chancel built in Early English style by J H Hakewill in 1873.

April 2016

Welby, St Bartholomew, J H Hakewill
Welby, St Bartholomew
Welby, St Bartholomew
Welby, St Bartholomew

The decorated frieze on the parapet above the nave is carried round the head of the polygonal rood staircase projection adjacent to the chancel.

April 2016

Welby, St Bartholomew
Welby, St Bartholomew, door
Welby, St Bartholomew, door
Welby, St Bartholomew, door

Pevsner simply describes this door at the south entrance as 'traceried'. It is clearly in Perpendicular style.

Does it date from the fifteenth century or from Hakewill's restoration of 1873? Its condition suggests the latter.

April 2016

Welby, St Bartholomew, door
Welby, St Bartholomew, grave cover
Welby, St Bartholomew, grave cover
Welby, St Bartholomew, grave cover

This unusual monument at the base of the tower dates from the fourteenth century.

April 2016

Welby, St Bartholomew, grave cover
Welby, St Bartholomew, grotesque
Welby, St Bartholomew, grotesque
Welby, St Bartholomew, grotesque

This grotesque is mounted on the corner of the porch.

April 2016

Welby, St Bartolomew, grotesque
Welby, Village Green
Welby, Village Green
Welby, Village Green

Village sign depicts both St Bartholomew's Church and Welby Cavaliers Cricket Club.

DB 18 June 2018

Welby, village green, sign
Welby, Village Pump
Welby, Village Pump
Welby, Village Pump

Located north side of Main Street near the bus shelter.

DB 18 June 2018

Welby, Pump
Welby, Waggon & Horses
Welby, Waggon & Horses
Welby, Waggon & Horses

Former public house now a private house.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1876 mentions two public houses the Waggon & Horses and Red Lion.

William Tinkler landlord of Waggon & Horses also described as a shopkeeper.

DB 18 June 2018

Welby, Waggon & Horses, Public House
Welby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Welby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Welby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Former Methodist Chapel now a private house.

"The chapel was built in 1866 and closed in 1972"

https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/1028/welby_chapel.pdf  

DB 18 June 2018

Welby, Wesleyan, methodist chapel