Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Wellingore
 
Wellingore
Wellingore
Wellingore

Aram’s Pharmacy and Cycle showroom in Wellingore was formerly owned by Mr Ingham, also a chemist, who extracted teeth without an anaesthetic.

No shops now survive in the village.

undated postcard

Wellingore, Aram cyle shop, Ingham chemist
Wellingore, All Saints
Wellingore, All Saints
Wellingore, All Saints

Perched on the edge of the Cliff, All Saints, Wellingore, dates from the Decorated and Perpendicular periods.

There are old benchends and a late twelfth-century sedilia.

Mark Acton, 2013

Wellingore, All Saints church
Wellingore, view from church tower
Wellingore, view from church tower
Wellingore, view from church tower

This view is from the church tower looks north over the village centre. The mill in the distance, now minus sails, has been converted into a house.

RAF Wellingore opened in 1935 and closed in 1945.

John Gillespie Magee, author of the poem ‘High Flight’, took off from the base on his fatal flight.

undated postcard

Wellingore, windmill, John Gillespie Magee
Wellingore, Windmill (1)
Wellingore, Windmill (1)
Wellingore, Windmill (1)

The first tower mill here, built in 1818, had three storeys and replaced a post mill on the same site.

It was later raised by a further three floors, probably in 1854. Milling ceased in the 1930s.

Postcard from David Robinson Collection, 1903

Wellingore, windmill
Wellingore, Windmill (2)
Wellingore, Windmill (2)
Wellingore, Windmill (2)

Wellingore Mill worked with four sails in the early part of the twentieth century and milling ceased altogether in the late 1940s.

Location of mill: SK 984 570

Peter Kirk Collection, 1998

Wellingore, windmll, Peter Kirk