Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Willoughton
 
Willoughton, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Willoughton, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Willoughton, Primitive Methodist Chapel

The Hollowgate Hill Methodist Chapel built in 1867 to serve in the Scotter Primitive Methodist Circuit, and replaced an earlier chapel of 1837.

The chapel closed in 1979 and has now been converted into apartments.

Pearl Wheatley, 2012

Willoughton, Primitive Methodist Chapel, Hollowgate Hill
Willoughton, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Willoughton, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Willoughton, Primitive Methodist Chapel

A second view of the former chapel, now two 'maisonettes'.

August 2018

Willoughton, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Willoughton, Primitive Methodist Chapel, date stone
Willoughton, Primitive Methodist Chapel, date stone
Willoughton, Primitive Methodist Chapel, date stone

The stone records the original construction (1837) and the rebuilding (1867).

August 2018

Willoughton, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Willoughton, St Andrew
Willoughton, St Andrew
Willoughton, St Andrew

The church of St Andrew in Willoughton was rebuilt in 1794 and there were minor alterations to the tower in the nineteenth century.

There is monument to Nicholas Sutton (died 1602) in the chancel.

Mark Acton, 2014

Willoughton, St Andrew
Willoughton, St Andrew
Willoughton, St Andrew
Willoughton, St Andrew

Only the chancel arch and the remains of a chancel window survive from the medieval building.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1991

Willoughton, St Andrew
Willoughton, St Andrew
Willoughton, St Andrew
Willoughton, St Andrew

View from the approach path of the west face of the late-Georgian tower with its unusually large circular bell opening.

August 2018

Willoughton, St Andrew
Willoughton, St Andrew
Willoughton, St Andrew
Willoughton, St Andrew

The plain and unattractive south sides of nave and chancel.

August 2018

Willoughton, St Andrew
Willoughton, St Andrew, Label Stop
Willoughton, St Andrew, Label Stop
Willoughton, St Andrew, Label Stop

The simple but stylish label stop to the hood mould over the west doorway - Victorian in date.

August 2018

 

Willoughton, St Andrew, head stop
Willoughton, St Andrew, Vamping Horn
Willoughton, St Andrew, Vamping Horn
Willoughton, St Andrew, Vamping Horn

This eighteenth-century vamping horn displayed at the west end of the nave is one of only six survivors to be found in English churches.

Six foot long and with an eighteen inch diameter trumpet, it was probably used to summon worshippers to prayer.

The horn was supposedly audible a mile away.

Mark Acton, 2014

Willoughton, St Andrew
Willoughton, St Andrew, Vestry
Willoughton, St Andrew, Vestry
Willoughton, St Andrew, Vestry

As with many churches, a small vestry has been built on the north-west corner of the chancel.

August 2018

Willoughton, St Andrew, vestry
Willoughton, Village Pond
Willoughton, Village Pond
Willoughton, Village Pond

Willoughton lies 3 miles south of Kirton Lindsey.

The Knights Templar founded a preceptory there during the reign of King Stephen. After the suppression of the order in 1312 the site passed to the Knights Hospitaller in 1338 and King’s College, Cambridge in 1540.

Earthworks remain.

undated postcard

Willoughton, village pond, Knights Templar, Hospitaller