Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Withern
 
Withern, Red Lion Hotel
Withern, Red Lion Hotel
Withern, Red Lion Hotel

Mentioned in White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 :-

"Marshall Thomas, vict. Red Lion"

and in Kelly's Directory 1919 :-

"Staines Rd. Red Lion P.H. & farmer"

The farm is marked as being over 150 acres. 

DB 29 June 2019

Withern, Red Lion Hotel, Public House
Withern, School
Withern, School
Withern, School

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1850 & enlarged in 1858, for 100 children; Geo. Slayton, master"

Now St Margaret's Church of England Primary School.

DB 29 June 2019

Withern, School
Withern, St Margaret
Withern, St Margaret
Withern, St Margaret

This church, built of red brick, dates mainly from the early nineteenth century. The chancel, heavily restored in 1875, is the oldest part; the nave was reconstructed in 1812. The bellcote is the most recent addition.

Richard Oliver, c.1982

Withern, St Margaret
Withern, St Margaret
Withern, St Margaret
Withern, St Margaret

It is surprising that the church in this relatively large and apparently thriving village should become redundant. (There are very few if any villages in Lincolnshire where there is a school but no Anglican church. This is especially odd at Withern where the school, St Margaret's, has Church of England Controlled status.)

The church was declared redundant in 1980 and was converted for residential use.

Richard Oliver, undated photograph

Withern, St Margaret
Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Withern's second Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built on Main Street in 1875. The building was extended and remodelled in 1901 and 1962.

September 2018

Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Alford, Skegness & Wainfleet Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson July 1998 it is stated that :-

"i) A chapel was erected in Main Street circa 1809-11. It has since been demolished but had stood opposite the second chapel.

ii) The second chapel, in Main Street, was opened on the 28.6.1875 Improvements were made to the chapel which was reopened on the 4.11.1901 and following further alterations it was reopened again on the 25.8.1962. The chapel is still in use with a membership of 19"

Items displayed for sale outside the church in aid of the Sunday School. 

DB 29 June 2019

Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The sanctuary area has been brought forward and a dividing wall inserted to allow space at the back for a kitchen etc.

"Our building was modernised in 2000 and we have served hundreds of meals from our kitchen. 

Scores of onlookers had a hearty breakfast waiting to cheer on the Olympic flame in 2012"

https://eastlincolnshiremethodistcircuit.org.uk/chapels/withern 

DB 29 June 2019

Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Looking back towards the entrance.

DB 29 June 2019

Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, War Memorial
Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, War Memorial
Withern, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, War Memorial

Was this memorial transferred from the now redundant church of St Margaret?

DB 29 June 2019

Withern, War memorial