Grimsby Ice Factory, which commenced production in 1901, provided the crushed ice which was required to preserve the catch in Grimsby trawlers during their lengthy journey back from the fishing grounds of the North Sea.
More ice was then needed to pack the fish for its rail journey, for Grimsby fish was widely distributed around Britain.
This photograph shows the east elevation of the factory on Gorton Street. Conveyors carry ice across the road for direct loading onto trawlers.
Sue Stone, GreatGIFT, 2008