Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Infrastructure - Maritime
 
Boston, Dock
Boston, Dock
Boston, Dock

Boston Dock was built south of the town centre by Boston Coroporation as the Harbour Trust.

The first vessel entered the Dock on 15 December 1884 and ended a thirty-year period of economic stagnation for the port.

Undated postcard
Boston, dock,
Boston, Dock
Boston, Dock
Boston, Dock

Boston Dock has a seven-acre basin and was built in fields to the south of the town centre.

Its traffic included the import of Baltic timber and export of coal from Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.

A coal hoist can be seen to the right in this picture.

Undated postcard
Boston, dock,
Boston, Dock
Boston, Dock
Boston, Dock

Boston Dock had railway sidings and two large granaries to hold grain for export.

One of the granaries is to the left in this picture but both were demolished in the second half of the twentieth century.

Postcard, c1908
Boston, dock, granaries, sidings,
Boston, Dock
Boston, Dock
Boston, Dock

For a number of years Lincolnshire potatoes (in 56lb bags) were exported through Boston.

Today the fishing fleet moors below the railway bridge.

Trading vessels lie either in tidal berths beside the dock where there are facilities for handling scrap steel or in the dock itself where there are facilities for handling paper, steel coil and grain as well as timber and general cargo, including containers.

Image 1975

Boston, dock, potatoes
Boston, Dock, Advertisement
Boston, Dock, Advertisement
Boston, Dock, Advertisement
Advert appearing in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1913.
Boston, Docks, advertisement
Boston, Paddle Steamers
Boston, Paddle Steamers
Boston, Paddle Steamers

Even after Boston Dock was opened south of the town, paddle steamers Privateer and Boston were still moored at the old quays in the town centre and occasionally took pleasure trips into the Wash.

This paddle steamer passes the timber yard in the South End on its way downstream.

Postcard, c1908
Boston, paddle steamer,
Boston, Port of Boston
Boston, Port of Boston
Boston, Port of Boston

Port of Boston viewed, across the River Witham, from London Road.

Part of the Victoria Group :- 

https://www.victoriagroup.co.uk/about-us/port-of-boston/ 

DB 5 June 2019

Boston, Port of Boston
Cleethorpes, Segmere Street
Cleethorpes, Segmere Street
Cleethorpes, Segmere Street

A photograph taken around 1900 looking towards Segmere Street.

Serious, regular cliff erosion threatened the house in this terrace.

Cleethorpes, Segmere Street, cliff erosion
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Britannia Works, X-class Submarine
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Britannia Works, X-class Submarine
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Britannia Works, X-class Submarine

Blue plaque commissioned by Marshall's Yard shopping centre which now occupies the site of Britannia Works.

"HM MIDGET SUBMARINE X24 (HMS EXPEDITIOUS). This plaque is to commemorate the building of HM Submarine X24 on this site in 1943 by Marshall Ltd, Gainsborough, the crews that manned her & the two successful operations conducted in Bergen, Norway against the German ship BARENFELS & the U-BOAT FLOATING DOCK"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-class_submarine 

DB 18 June 2019

Gainsborough, Marshalls Yard, X-class Submarine
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, PS Lincoln Castle
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, PS Lincoln Castle
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, PS Lincoln Castle

View of Alexandra Dock at Grimsby showing the destruction of the PS Lincoln Castle at the stage reached on 15 October 2010.

The vessel was built on the Clyde in 1940 by A & J Inglis and was taken out of service in 1978.

It was the last coal-fired paddle steamer in regular service.

Chris Lester, 2010

Grimsby, paddle steamer, Inglis, bridge, Alexandra Dock,
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Victoria Mills
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Victoria Mills
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Victoria Mills

The 8-storey Victoria Mills was built as a grain store in 1889 and is flanked by buildings of 1906, now converted to flats.

Corporation Bridge is an electrically operated lift bridge built in 1925.

The PS Lincoln Castle was a coal-fired paddle steamer which operated for many years as a Humber ferry between Hull and New Holland.

It was scrapped by its owner in 2010.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Grimsby, paddle steamer, bridge, Alexandra Dock,
Grimsby, Dock Tower
Grimsby, Dock Tower
Grimsby, Dock Tower

The 303 ft dock tower was built in about 1850, in the style of that of Siena town hall.

Originally the tower contained a 33,000 gallon water tank at a height of 200 ft, the head of water providing the hydraulic pressure to operate the dock gates and dockside cranes.

This early use of hydraulics was designed by Newcastle engineer William Armstrong.

The high pressure hydraulic accumulator tower (seen to the left) replaced the original system in 1892.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Grimsby, water tank, Armstrong, hydraulic accumulator,
Grimsby, Docks
Grimsby, Docks
Grimsby, Docks

This postcard of Grimsby Docks shows the dock tower, the Royal Dock and the fish docks.

On the left is the Royal Dock, which opened in 1852, and was given the name 'Royal' following the visit of Victoria and Albert two years later.

The original fish dock dates from 1856 and a second fish dock was added in 1877 - a later extension to the east being made in 1934 (all to the right in this view).

Out of view is the Alexandra Dock.

Grimsby, fish, tower,
Immingham Dock opening
Immingham Dock opening
Immingham Dock opening

Construction of Immingham Dock began in 1906. It was officially opened by King George V and Queen Mary on 22 July 1912.

Unposted F.C.C. series postcard.

Immingham, dock
Immingham, Dock
Immingham, Dock
Immingham, Dock

This aerial view of Immingham Dock, probably dating from the inter-war period, shows the extensive railway marshalling yard.

The dock opened in 1912. Its area was 45 acres (about 18Ha) and the full length of quayage almost 6000 ft (about 1800m).

The Dock Offices is the red building to the left of the dock entrance.

In the left foreground: the eastern jetty with passenger station. In the right foreground: the western jetty with coal hoist.

Jay-em-Jay postcard, undated

See other images of this dock



Immingham, dock aerial view
Mablethorpe, Flood Disaster
Mablethorpe, Flood Disaster
Mablethorpe, Flood Disaster

Exceptionally strong winds and a very high tide on 31 January 1953 combined to produce a storm surge that broke through the sea defences along several stretches of the Lincolnshire coast.

Much of Mablethorpe was inundated by the sea and there were several deaths in the town and neighbouring Sutton on Sea.

Mablethorpe, Flood disaster
Mablethorpe, Flood Disaster
Mablethorpe, Flood Disaster
Mablethorpe, Flood Disaster

Part of modern coastal defence near North Promenade.

Plaques recording visits by Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh following the 1953 floods.

He came to Mablethorpe immediately following the floods and subsequently returned in 1983 and 2003 to join in the 30th and 50th anniversary memorials. 

DB 29 June 2019 

Mablethorpe, Flood, Duke of Edinburgh
Sutton On Sea, Lion Pillar, Sea Defences
Sutton On Sea, Lion Pillar, Sea Defences
Sutton On Sea, Lion Pillar, Sea Defences

Stated on the associated plaque :-

"This pillar is all that remains of the original sea defences and promenade (built in the 1880's at a cost of £350) which were destroyed in East Coast floods of January 31st 1953" 

DB 29 March 2019

Sutton On Sea, Lion Pillar, sea defence, flood