The George Hotel was rebuilt in 1780 with an impressive brick façade. The central archway led through to stabling and service quarters at the rear which could be accessed from Westgate.
The George Inn is recorded as early as 1456 and was part of the manor of Grantham. The rebuilding of 1780 by John Manners was almost certainly in response to the new range added to the Angel Inn some four years previously.
The George is now a shopping centre and two Blue Plaques can be found in the internal atrium. One is to Thomas Paine, author of the Rights of Man and The Age of Reason, who as an excise man was based at the George Inn between 1762-64. The other is to Charles Dickens who stayed here in 1838.
postcard by Whipple of Grantham, 1903